none
Deleting Checkpoints RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Windows 10 image that's a VM.  I have several checkpoints now...

-First Boot Into Audit Mode
         -Ready For Sysprep 04-15-2019
              - Ready For Sysprep 05-16-2019
                   >Now

I am happy with the 05-16-2019 build.  I only want to keep the First Boot Into Audit Mode and the last Ready For Sysprep.  The VM has been launched since and now Sysprep has been run.  Would I just...

1) Right-click Ready For Sysprep 05-16-2019 and choose Apply...
    2) Right-click Ready For Sysprep 04-15-2019 and choose Delete Checkpoint...

How does the >Now get affected during this?

Thanks.

Friday, May 17, 2019 11:39 AM

Answers

• Hi,

When deleting a checkpoint in a branch there are two (2) options available:

1. You can either delete the checkpoint and the sub tree

2. Or you can just delete the checkpoint.

If you want to keep the following checkpoints:

• First Boot Into Audit Mode
    • Ready For Sysprep 05-16-2019

You simply right-click the Ready For Sysprep 04-15-2019 checkpoint and choose Delete Checkpoint, when you delete this checkpoint the "> Now" should stay under the current Ready For Sysprep 05-16-2019 checkpoint.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Marked as answer by MIS Admin Tuesday, May 28, 2019 5:38 PM
    Friday, May 17, 2019 11:56 AM
  • The ”now” indicates where you are, you won’t get rid of that indicator, if you want to be at the ”Sysprep 05-16-2019” checkpoint, you select it and apply it.

You don’t have to power off the VM.

• Proposed as answer by Leon Laude Wednesday, May 22, 2019 5:51 AM
    Friday, May 17, 2019 12:29 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting in our forum!

>> Now.  Before doing this, I need to Apply the Sysprep 05-16-2019 checkpoint correct?  Should I do these steps while the VM is off..or doesn't it matter?

If you want to use Sysprep 05-16-2019, you just need to select it and apply it, and you don’t need to shutdown your VM.

>> How does the >Now get affected during this?

If you delete the Sysprep 04-15-2019, it will be merged into the next snapshot. Deleting snapshots is not a real deletion, but a merge.

By the way, Checkpoints can only be used for testing and development, not for backup. If you need to backup VM, please choose the appropriate backup tool.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/virtualization/hyper-v-on-windows/user-guide/checkpoints

Hope this can help you, if you have any question, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Daniel

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 20, 2019 8:55 AM

All replies

• Hi,

When deleting a checkpoint in a branch there are two (2) options available:

1. You can either delete the checkpoint and the sub tree

2. Or you can just delete the checkpoint.

If you want to keep the following checkpoints:

• First Boot Into Audit Mode
    • Ready For Sysprep 05-16-2019

You simply right-click the Ready For Sysprep 04-15-2019 checkpoint and choose Delete Checkpoint, when you delete this checkpoint the "> Now" should stay under the current Ready For Sysprep 05-16-2019 checkpoint.

Best regards,
    Leon

Friday, May 17, 2019 11:56 AM
  • Thanks.  The >Now is no longer good because sysprep ran...so I want to get rid of the >Now.  Before doing this, I need to Apply the Sysprep 05-16-2019 checkpoint correct?  Should I do these steps while the VM is off..or doesn't it matter?

Friday, May 17, 2019 12:23 PM
  • The ”now” indicates where you are, you won’t get rid of that indicator, if you want to be at the ”Sysprep 05-16-2019” checkpoint, you select it and apply it.

You don’t have to power off the VM.

• Proposed as answer by Leon Laude Wednesday, May 22, 2019 5:51 AM
    Friday, May 17, 2019 12:29 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting in our forum!

>> Now.  Before doing this, I need to Apply the Sysprep 05-16-2019 checkpoint correct?  Should I do these steps while the VM is off..or doesn't it matter?

If you want to use Sysprep 05-16-2019, you just need to select it and apply it, and you don’t need to shutdown your VM.

>> How does the >Now get affected during this?

If you delete the Sysprep 04-15-2019, it will be merged into the next snapshot. Deleting snapshots is not a real deletion, but a merge.

By the way, Checkpoints can only be used for testing and development, not for backup. If you need to backup VM, please choose the appropriate backup tool.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/virtualization/hyper-v-on-windows/user-guide/checkpoints

Hope this can help you, if you have any question, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Daniel

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 20, 2019 8:55 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

If my reply is useful, please mark it as an answer, thank you in advance!

Best Regards,

Daniel

Wednesday, May 22, 2019 1:57 AM
  • Hi,
    This is Daniel and wish you all the best!
    Since you have not responded for a long time, we will temporarily archive this post.
    If the reply helped you, please remember to mark it as an answer.
    If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.
    Best Regards,
    Daniel

Friday, May 24, 2019 1:33 AM