none
Concurrent RDP Administrator connections on Domain controller - Windows 2019 Server Essential RRS feed

• Question

• Goodmorning everyone.

As per the object, I find myself in the need to simultaneously access as the administrator user on 2 RDP sessions (We are two IT operators, in the office and we have to perform different operations, at the moment).

As I had already done in the past (on the old DC, with windows server 2003, I was able to log in as administrator in 2 sessions, so that, often, I found myself with the opposite problem: the closed session was not "dropped" and a new access gave me a brand new desktop, without the applications previously opened), I proceeded to modify the parameters that I thought appropriate (I also did research on it and found nothing else): from gpedit.msc,

computer configuration -> administrative templates -> Windows components -> Remote Desktop services -> Remote Desktop session host -> connections -> restrict Remote Desktop Services users ... -> disabled

is

SAME PATH -> limit number of connections -> enabled (2 connections)

Nevertheless, when one RDP client connects as administrator, the other one is disconnected and vice versa.

I tried to elevate a user in the administrators group and add it to those who can connect: this user and administrator can connect simultaneously without problems, but that's not what I need.

Did I forget something or isn't it possible? In this case, how is it possible that with 2003 it worked?

Thanks to all in advance

Monday, April 8, 2019 10:28 AM

All replies

• Hi Luca,

specifics of RDP implementation have changed considerably from that included in WS 2003. For one, you no longer have access to the console session (which leaves you with 2 RDP connections only). 

I'm not entirely sure what exactly you are trying to accomplish, but if you want to control whether the same user can connect via two separate connections, then the following might help

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/23341fdd-45f7-4239-9b35-3f4ba47e2aa2/how-to-allow-simultaneous-connection-to-same-user-account?forum=winRDc

hth
    Marcin

Monday, April 8, 2019 11:35 AM
  • In addition to what Marcin points out, you might want to consider not using the built-in administrator account.  For auditing purposes, many companies consider it a recommended practice to assign two accounts to any system administrator - one account to be used for the administrator's day-to-day activities (e-mail, web access, etc.) and a separate account that is joined to the local administrator group for any type of system administration work.  The separate accounts allow for auditing of which administrator performed what elevated function.  And, since each administrator has their own separate account, you never run into the RDP connection issue you are experiencing.

tim

Monday, April 8, 2019 1:38 PM
  • Hi,

For Windows Server Essentials(server system itself), it only allows 2 simultaneously sessions/connections at same time. Also, locally logged on user occupy one of 2 sessions. It is the license limitation for Windows Server Essentials edition. 

For example, domain admin has logged on WSE locally(system start and type credential to enter the system ), then, at the time, only one session is allowed. You can open Task Manager – Users tab, check current sessions/users.

So, for WSE, there is no need to limit the session number.

Based on your description, you want the admin to connect to previous session and open the desktop when he leaves. In general, there are several status of session,  such as active, disconnected and closed. When you click X on the RDP taskbar to close the remote session on client sides, you only close the window and session are still existing on remote system, resources are still used by your session. Then, you open RDC(MSTSC) to establish remote session to same system, previous session will be connected and you can see previous desktop. If you click start button and select log off, then, session will be closed on remote system and resources will be released. When you try to establish session to remote system, new session will be established and you will see a new desktop.

Whether you can connect to existing session(open the window when you leave) depends on the session status on remote system, and it also depends on the method how you close previous session. 

As far as I know, with RDS deployment, one of RDS component named connection broker can help you to direct to existing sessions. However, WSE(Windows Server Essentials) do not support RDS/more than 2 simultaneously sessions due to licensee limitation. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 9, 2019 8:17 AM
  • Hi, all!

Thank you for all the replies.

what I wanted is that, since there're 2 IT operators, when operator 1 connect via RDP as administrator it can remain logged even if operator 2 log in as administrator.

Unfortunately, even with Marcin link, that pointed to a registry trick, we cannot reach this point: if I'm connected as administrator, when my colleague logs in with the same account, the system closes my connection and vice versa.

At this point, I'll try to use two separate accounts, both in administrators group, one for me and one for my colleague.

Thank you the same for your help

Tuesday, April 9, 2019 12:45 PM
  • Hi,

As WSE does not support RDS, so, same user account is unable to establish remote desktop to WSE at same time. 

Thank for your updating and share the details.

Please remember to click “Mark as answer” if any of above reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 12, 2019 6:47 AM