none
dhcp migration RRS feed

• Question

• dears,

i need to migrate dhcp from 2012 r2 to 2016. i need to migrate all the settings, reservations, leases, options

please advise with the steps to do.

is there any downtime?

when exporting/importing do i have to stop dhcp on old server before importing it on the enw one?

best regards,

Friday, October 11, 2019 9:10 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You can use the Export-DhcpServer from your Windows 2012 R2 server to export all scopes with settings and then use the Import-DhcpServer on your Windows 2016 Server.

This can be done without downtime, but I would recommend doing this under a planned maintenance.

You can also refer to the guide here:
    How to Migrate DHCP to Windows Server 2016

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Friday, October 11, 2019 9:17 AM
  • do i just need to run the export command without any parameters if i want to export all the settings?

or i have to include the leases parameter.

and what about this question? do i have to stop the dhcp on old server before importing on the second?

or dhcp can work with the same configuration on both servers??

thank you so much

Friday, October 11, 2019 10:18 AM
  • The command will export everything by default, for example:

Export-DhcpServer -ComputerName "dhcpserver.contoso.com" -File "C:\exportdir\dhcpexport.xml"

You should stop the DHCP Server service during the switch over yes, it's not required to stop the service when doing the export.

If you configure a DHCP failover, then you can use both, you can either use "Hot standby mode" or "Load sharing mode".

For more information about DHCP failover, I suggest you refer to the documentations over here:

Deploy DHCP Failover

Friday, October 11, 2019 10:58 AM
  • thank you but i have one more concern, after migrating successfully my dhcp.

should i release/renew IPs on all my clients in order to make them contact the new DHCP server?

best regards,

Friday, October 11, 2019 12:46 PM
  • During migration, the source DHCP server might not be available. Therefore, client computers will not be able to obtain IP addresses from this DHCP server. We recommend that you maintain or create an auxiliary DHCP server so that client computers can obtain IP addresses while you migrate the primary DHCP server.

Be aware that if you choose to perform the migration without any auxiliary DHCP servers, all clients with valid leases must keep using those leases. If a lease for an existing client expires, that client will not be able to obtain an IP address. In addition, any new client that connects to the network will not be able to obtain an IP address when the single-source DHCP server is not available.

You can read more about this here:
    DHCP Server Migration Guide

Friday, October 11, 2019 12:50 PM
  • you didnt get my point well.

first of all im gonna upgrade my dhcp during off working hours therefore i wont have users willing to obtain ip addresses at this time.

but my concern is about the existing users, will they automatically connect to the new dhcp server? or should we do something on their level (release/renew)

Friday, October 11, 2019 1:05 PM
  • You mention both migrate and upgrade, but I assume you mean migrating by "moving" all the current settings to another server, a newer server which is Windows Server 2016 (which is an upgrade from the old one).

Once you have exported the DHCP settings from your old DHCP server, import it to the new DHCP server, then authorize the new server and you should be good to go, nothing else needed other than decommission of the old DHCP server or removal of the DHCP role.

Friday, October 11, 2019 1:16 PM
  • by migrating i mean upgrading

thank you i will do this in the weekend

Friday, October 11, 2019 1:21 PM
  • You're welcome.

(Please don't forget to mark helpful replies as answer)

Friday, October 11, 2019 1:23 PM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful.

Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Ellen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 14, 2019 9:08 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we will propose it as ‘Answered’ as the information provided should be helpful.

If you need further help, please feel free to reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

Best regards,

Ellen   

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 2:23 AM