none
TS 2008 file associations

Question

• I have been having problems lately associating the right file extensions with programs in TS 2008.  Anyone have any knowledge about what might have changed in the way TS 2008 handles file associations compared with earlier versions?  I suspect MS made a change to the registry, but I have not found any answers yet.
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 2:41 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What kind of problems are you having exactly?
    Btw in Windows 2008 file association is done through Control Panel > Default Programs > Associate a file type or protocol with a program

сила в справедливости
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 3:02 PM
  • Hi,

Under 2008, if you manually create an association by default it will be created as a per user association.  Per user assocations only affect users to which they have been applied.  This is different than 2003 behavior (and also different than Server 2000 with modify file association ability enabled).  There is no graphical interface in 2008 for creating per-machine associations--typically installer programs create them, or they can be created manually by editing the registry.

Please see this thread where I explain associations in more detail:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverTS/thread/3e6691c2-ec42-4539-8065-2c23fd53f5b4

Thanks.

-TP

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 3:35 PM
  • Thanks TP, that was very helpful.

I was not successful using your methods, but it lead me in the right direction.  It seems setting the file associations in HKCU take precedence over HKLM, so setting HKLM solved nothing for me. 

I used a fresh user account, set the associations using Explorer right-click, Open With, set default program.  I then used Group Policy editor to save the newly created registry settings from HKCU, both the /Software/Classes keys you mention, and also /Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/FileExts. So far, that is working for me.
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 10:54 PM
  • Hi,

You are welcome.  Glad you got it working.

In the first paragraph of the post (September 04, 2009) I referenced I explain that Per User associations override Global associations.  This is a critical point, as you found out.

In the general case you should configure your server using per-machine (Global) file associations, and then set Per User associations on an as-needed basis to handle exceptions.  This keeps things simple because in most cases you only need to change the global association to affect all users.  If each user has manually created (per-user) associations, then you have to use scripting or similar automated techniques to make (and enforce) modifications to the associations.

Most of the time you will have only globals.  In a small number of cases you will have per user for certain users that need/want a different program than your standard to open a particular extension.  For example, a server will have .txt assigned to Notepad globally, but for a few users they may set a more powerful text editing program as their default.

It is unnecessary to manually create/change the FileExts key unless you need to supply a custom Open With list.  The first time a user opens a file using the global assocation a key for that extension will be automatically created under their HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.

When manually making changes via the registry you may need to reload the shell (explorer.exe) for the changes to take effect immediately.  For example, if you manually make a Global association via the registry, users that are currently logged on (including yourself) may not see the change until they log off and back on.

Thanks.

-TP

Thursday, October 22, 2009 7:34 AM
  • I should add that I needed to make a change in the association for a set of servers that had already been in use for a while, so all the users already had associations that needed to be changed, hence my quest for solutions beyond your original one.
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 2:35 PM
  • I continue to work on these servers, now with a different file association.
    I am getting nowhere.

TP - following your advice:

"What you need to do is manually create a global file assocation on your server under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes for the .axc extension that points to Dynamics.  The easiest way to do this is to make a Per-User association using the GUI, use regedit to Export the registry keys that are created under HKCU\Classes to separate files, perform a Search and Replace to change it from HKEY_CURRENT_USER to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, and finally import the file back into the registry."

The problem is making the association using the GUI does not make in in HKCU\CLasses, but rather HKCU/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/FileExts/[extenstion]/UserChoice.  Copying that key, or keys, to HKLM does nothing.
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 11:11 PM
  • Hi John,

UserChoice is another override.  If a file association already exists (either as a Global or Per User), and you set it to another program using the GUI interface, it will not create entries under HKCU\Software\Classes.  Instead it will create/modify the UserChoice key for that extension.

For example, say I right-click on a .txt file, choose Open With, and then select Windows Write to be the default program.  In this case it will create a UserChoice override for .txt pointing to Write because an association for .txt already exists pointing to Notepad.  After I do this I will have the ability to right-click a .txt file and choose to have either Write or Notepad open the file.  This gives the user added flexibility.

An easy way for you to see the correct registry entries in action is to create an association for an extension that does not exist on your server.  For example, right-click on your desktop, choose New--Text Document, and then name the file Test.testx (I am assuming here that you have set the option so that file extensions are shown).  Then right-click on the new file, choose Open, and set the default program to Notepad using the GUI.  Finally examine the newly created registry entries under HKCU\Software\Classes.

From the above you should conclude that in order for you to apply new associations for all users on your server you will need to remove any Per User associations (for the affected extensions) that already exist in each user's registry.  This is what makes Per User associations more difficult to manage--it really is a wonderful feature to have them, but if you need to make changes it is more work.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks.

-TP

Friday, October 23, 2009 12:32 AM
  • what's written above is redonkulously confusing
    "How do I, as the TS Admin, enforce a global association (namely .doc files w/ Word 2007) without having to modify every individual TS Profile/a registry key in every profile"?

In my scenario, WP X4 and MSO 2007 were both installed on the TS 2008, then user accounts were created.
    All user accounts are opening .doc files with WP X4 - this is "undesirable".

As User1, I've used Open With - Choose Default Program to select Word as the "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" for .doc  It retains this correct Association after logout and login.

User 2 is in "default mode" - exhibiting the same behavior as every other user (save User1) i.e. .doc files are being opened with WP X4.

I have had both user accounts logged in side by side on my client and using regedit searched for ".doc" in the Registry on each - there's not a single difference that shows up between the two user accounts.

I understand what the point of TP's comments (in this thread as well as the "File Association issue" thread) is, but I can't see a change that's being made to User1's registry therefore I can't copy it/change it to "Global" or similar/copy to CR or GPO the .reg or <other>

Please advise.
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 5:00 PM
  • @ReallyWildStuff,

The first thing I would do in your case is go to Add/Remove Programs (Server 2003) or Programs and Features (Server 2008) and have Office 2007 Repair itself.  This will restore the Global .doc extension so that it points to Word.

If for some reason the Repair does not restore the Global association for .doc to Micrsoft Word you can manually change it in the registry.

Please let me know if the above fixes the problem for you or not.

Thanks.

-TP
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 5:06 PM
  • Hi,

I have not heard back from you in a while.  Were you able to get the file associations set okay?

Did my response on October 23rd answer your questions?

Thanks.

-TP
    Monday, November 09, 2009 7:50 PM
  • I think I have it solved for a clean, new terminal server.
    I still need to go back to the ones that are in production.
    I'll let you know if I have any problems.
    Thanks.
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 5:05 PM
    "How do I, as the TS Admin, enforce a global association (namely .doc files w/ Word 2007) without having to modify every individual TS Profile/a registry key in every profile"?

In my scenario, WP X4 and MSO 2007 were both installed on the TS 2008, then user accounts were created.

As User1, I've used Open With - Choose Default Program to select Word as the "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" for .doc  It retains this correct Association after logout and login.

User 2 is in "default mode" - exhibiting the same behavior as every other user (save User1) i.e. .doc files are being opened with WP X4.

I have had both user accounts logged in side by side on my client and using regedit searched for ".doc" in the Registry on each - there's not a single difference that shows up between the two user accounts.

I understand what the point of TP's comments (in this thread as well as the "File Association issue" thread) is, but I can't see a change that's being made to User1's registry therefore I can't copy it/change it to "Global" or similar/copy to CR or GPO the .reg or <other>

Please advise.

Hello,

Have to agree here - it's totally confusing, I mean, it's JUST setting the file type association, it should be standard TS admin task, everyone needs that at some point!!

I have a similar case where I need to set .jpg, .bmp and other picture file types for Microsoft Office Picture Manager, I can set it only on 1 profile at a time, how do I set it globally and for new users logging onto the terminal server.

I need a solution that does NOT require modifying the registry manually which could involve some risks! - it's a BASIC need for every TS admin.

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 8:59 AM

Please advise.

Hello,

Have to agree here - it's totally confusing, I mean, it's JUST setting the file type association, it should be standard TS admin task, everyone needs that at some point!!

I have a similar case where I need to set .jpg, .bmp and other picture file types for Microsoft Office Picture Manager, I can set it only on 1 profile at a time, how do I set it globally and for new users logging onto the terminal server.

I need a solution that does NOT require modifying the registry manually which could involve some risks! - it's a BASIC need for every TS admin.

Thanks in advance.

Hi! This is unfortunatelly a reality.

Aprender no es un medio para un fin, sino un fin en si mismo.

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 1:31 PM
  • For example (I used for .tif)

ftype Autovue.Document=e:\PROGRA~1\av\avwin\avwin.exe "%%1"
    assoc .tif=Autovue.Document
    assoc .tiff=Autovue.Document

Run as administrator.  You may already have a ftype for your application.

Monday, April 06, 2015 2:06 PM