none
Windows 2012 R2 Cluster Quorum Issues RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I have a Cluster running SharePoint/SQL2014 in Production. I while back I had issues with the disk array which I was able to repair. I recently noticed that the Quorum will not failover from SQL1 to SQL2 server. Without even noticing the issue, I did a hardware upgrade last week failing one server back and forth with no issues to production impact. I am curious why it won't failover but if I shutdown the affected server, it will failover by force. Ideas? I can send logs next week.

-Esteban

Microsoft manager to programmer: You start coding. I'll go find out what they want ...

Friday, October 6, 2017 11:45 PM

Answers

• Hi esteban,

Do you mean you are unable to move the quorum's owner node from one node to another, but if one node is shut down, it will failover to another?

If yes, it is the normal behavior, if you want to change the owner node of the quorum, we need to modify the setting here: click the cluster name> More Actions>Move core cluster resources:

Then select the node you want to move the resource to, for example "h2" in my lab:

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 10, 2017 7:23 AM
  • Hi,

The witness disk (quorum) is part of the core cluster resource. The core cluster resource consists on Cluster name, IP address and witness (disk or fileshare). The core cluster resource can be moved as a whole (Cluster name, IP and witness) and not the witness alone. So that is the reason you were not able to move only the witness disk. 

Regards,
    Bala

Tuesday, October 10, 2017 7:33 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, Bala provides the explanation.

Best Regards,

Anne

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by esteban2800 Thursday, October 19, 2017 4:52 PM
    Tuesday, October 10, 2017 7:56 AM
  • Hi,

You can verify if the disk is listed as a possible owner on the target node using powershell.

The cluster core resources are "Cluster Group", so we can list out each resource using this:

Get-ClusterResource|where OwnerGroup -eq "Cluster Group"

Then we can check which nodes can own the resource (we are interested in the witness disk, yours may be named differently to cluster disk 1):

Get-ClusterResource "cluster disk 1"|Get-ClusterOwnerNode

ClusterObject  OwnerNodes
    -------------  ----------
    cluster disk 1 {SQL1, SQL2}

Finally, to move the cluster group (or quorum) you can run:

Move-ClusterGroup "cluster group" -Node SQL1

This will move all resources listed when we ran Get-ClusterResource|where OwnerGroup -eq "Cluster Group" to SQL1. You don't have to specify the node if you only have 2 nodes in your cluster, it will just move to the other available node.

• Edited by GavJohnson Tuesday, October 10, 2017 8:05 AM Formatting
    • Marked as answer by esteban2800 Thursday, October 19, 2017 4:51 PM
    Tuesday, October 10, 2017 8:04 AM
  • Yes, if I shut it down, it will forced to fail over.

Microsoft manager to programmer: You start coding. I'll go find out what they want ...

Thursday, October 19, 2017 4:40 PM
  • Correct. Thank you!!!

Thursday, October 19, 2017 4:51 PM
  • It is fine. I was able to fail it over just by shutting down 1 node.

All replies

• Hi esteban,

Do you mean you are unable to move the quorum's owner node from one node to another, but if one node is shut down, it will failover to another?

If yes, it is the normal behavior, if you want to change the owner node of the quorum, we need to modify the setting here: click the cluster name> More Actions>Move core cluster resources:

Then select the node you want to move the resource to, for example "h2" in my lab:

Best Regards,

Anne

Tuesday, October 10, 2017 7:23 AM
  • Hi,

The witness disk (quorum) is part of the core cluster resource. The core cluster resource consists on Cluster name, IP address and witness (disk or fileshare). The core cluster resource can be moved as a whole (Cluster name, IP and witness) and not the witness alone. So that is the reason you were not able to move only the witness disk. 

Regards,
    Bala

Tuesday, October 10, 2017 7:33 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, Bala provides the explanation.

Best Regards,

Anne

Tuesday, October 10, 2017 7:56 AM
  • Hi,

You can verify if the disk is listed as a possible owner on the target node using powershell.

The cluster core resources are "Cluster Group", so we can list out each resource using this:

Get-ClusterResource|where OwnerGroup -eq "Cluster Group"

Then we can check which nodes can own the resource (we are interested in the witness disk, yours may be named differently to cluster disk 1):

Get-ClusterResource "cluster disk 1"|Get-ClusterOwnerNode

ClusterObject  OwnerNodes
    -------------  ----------
    cluster disk 1 {SQL1, SQL2}

Finally, to move the cluster group (or quorum) you can run:

Move-ClusterGroup "cluster group" -Node SQL1

This will move all resources listed when we ran Get-ClusterResource|where OwnerGroup -eq "Cluster Group" to SQL1. You don't have to specify the node if you only have 2 nodes in your cluster, it will just move to the other available node.

• Edited by GavJohnson Tuesday, October 10, 2017 8:05 AM Formatting
    Tuesday, October 10, 2017 8:04 AM
  • Yes, if I shut it down, it will forced to fail over.

Thursday, October 19, 2017 4:40 PM
  • Correct. Thank you!!!

• It is fine. I was able to fail it over just by shutting down 1 node.