none
error installing Hyper V in a guest W2K8R2VM RRS feed

• Question

• I have W2K8 installed on my server and Hyper V.  I added a VM and installed W2K8R2.  All went well until I tried to install the Hyper V role in the W2K8R2 VM.  I get an error message about the CPU does not support hardware virtualization.  Should I be able to run Hyper V inside a guest VM?

Thanks

Monday, April 12, 2010 2:43 PM

Answers

• I think this point needs clarification.

There are Type 1 and Type 2 hypervisors. Hyper-V, VMware ESX, and Xen are Type 1 hypervisors. They all require direct access to virtualization enabled processors and have a bios that supports hardware virtualization. Type 2 hypervisors generally do not require virtualization enabled processors, although there are exceptions.

Whether a Type 1 or Type 2 hypervisor is used, a virtual machine does not access the physical processor. It only sees an emulated processor. The emulated processor does not emulate hardware virtualization. This is true of Hyper-V, VMware, and Xen. Because the virtual machine doesn't expose anything that looks like hardware virtualization, it is not possible for a Type 1 hypervisor to run inside of a virtual machine. In other words, no, you cannot run Hyper-V inside a virtual machine. Installing Hyper-V in a virtual machine but not being able to run it is pointless. There is no workaround. It doesn't work.

However, if you are running a Type 2 hypervisor (e.g., Virtual PC 2007 SP1) that does not require hardware virtualization, it can run inside a virtual machine.

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 2:00 PM

All replies

• You can install Hyper-V on Hyper-V  but the hypervisor won't launch and you won't be able to run any virtual machines.  What are you trying to accomplish?

Santhosh Sivarajan | MCTS, MCSE (W2K3/W2K/NT4), MCSA (W2K3/W2K/MSG), CCNA, Network+ Houston, TX http://blogs.sivarajan.com/ http://publications.sivarajan.com/ This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, April 12, 2010 5:23 PM
  • I was wanting to setup a vm I could use on my desktop or laptop for demoing GP 2010 and Sharepoint 2010.  There is a set of vm' s already setup with the software, I needed to import them into W2K8R2.  So I setup a W2K8R2VM that I was going to use to import the demo vm' s into, but when I try to setup the role I got the error.

Thanks

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 11:50 AM
  • I think this point needs clarification.

There are Type 1 and Type 2 hypervisors. Hyper-V, VMware ESX, and Xen are Type 1 hypervisors. They all require direct access to virtualization enabled processors and have a bios that supports hardware virtualization. Type 2 hypervisors generally do not require virtualization enabled processors, although there are exceptions.

Whether a Type 1 or Type 2 hypervisor is used, a virtual machine does not access the physical processor. It only sees an emulated processor. The emulated processor does not emulate hardware virtualization. This is true of Hyper-V, VMware, and Xen. Because the virtual machine doesn't expose anything that looks like hardware virtualization, it is not possible for a Type 1 hypervisor to run inside of a virtual machine. In other words, no, you cannot run Hyper-V inside a virtual machine. Installing Hyper-V in a virtual machine but not being able to run it is pointless. There is no workaround. It doesn't work.

However, if you are running a Type 2 hypervisor (e.g., Virtual PC 2007 SP1) that does not require hardware virtualization, it can run inside a virtual machine.

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 2:00 PM
  • Agree to guys -  you may use hypervisor without hw virtualization required - VPC, vmware workstation, virtual box  - theyt are your friends now)

iSCSI SAN Software Support Department http://starwindsoftware.com
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 2:20 PM
  • i have a 2008 r2 host and a 2008 r2 guest. the guest runs dpm 2010 and i would like the feature to recover individual files from the hyperv machines im backing up using dpm, which again dpm is a guest. i cannot use this feature without hyperv role installed, and i cant install the role...
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 8:25 AM
  • B14CK_H4WK - you can't do that, that's one of the DPM limitations. If you want ILR for Hyper-V VM backups, you need to run DPM on a physical machine (that supports virtualization and hence Hyper-V role can be installed on it).

The other option is to backup VMs from inside, then you have regular backup and can restore individual files as you please.

Or you can combine both approaches - Hyper-V VM backup (on Hyper-V level) for disaster recovery and guest backup (on OS level) for volumes/files.

Friday, November 5, 2010 12:12 PM
  • Let's avoid thread drift, please. If you want to have a discussion about DPM, please create a new question. This thread is about where Hyper-V can and cannot be installed.
    Sunday, November 7, 2010 4:56 AM
  • I had the same problem using VMware Fusion on Mac. Going to try Virtual PC instead. 
    Monday, November 8, 2010 5:37 PM
  • Hi,

you can install Hyper-V role on a guest virtual machine. This is possible if you create a Windows server 2008 or higher version of virtual machine on ESXi host.  Once you have created a Windows server 2008 or 2008R2 or 2012 virtual machine in ESXi host. Power off your virtual machine and tweak (Add) some line to the .vmx file of virtual machine.

Just add these 3 lines to the end of the .vmx file

1. mce.enable = True

2. hypervisor.cpuid.v0= False

3. vhv.enable = True [It will enable hardware assisted virtulization in your virtual machine]

Also change to default guest os line as: guestOS = "winhyperv"

make sure you coy the .vmx file to some other location, make required changes and then replace the old file since the vmx file is read only.

Regards,

Dinesh Kotia
    Friday, May 3, 2013 9:09 PM