none
Does Win2008 R2 Remote Desktop *License* Server require Active Directory?

Question

• My organization purchased a "per device" CAL for one Win2008 R2 machine to be a Remote Desktop Server, equivalent to a Shell/SSH Server under Unix/Linux where remote users can logon to one central machine to do work. RD Server and RD License Server are installed on the same machine. The RD Licensing Manager is only giving me two options for scope: domain or forest (both require AD). The Workgroup option is greyed out.

My organization has an NT4 domain infrastructure making AD inappropriate for us here. So how do I enable that Workgroup option for scope? Or does Win2008 R2 Remote Desktop Server require Active Directory?

Tuesday, May 3, 2011 2:02 PM

Answers

• Hi,

There are two types of license servers for Windows Server 2003, a domain license server and an enterprise license server. Decide which of the two types of license servers you require.

Domain license server

A domain license server is appropriate for managing Terminal Server users within a domain. Use a domain license server if you have only one domain, or if you want to manage licenses in each of your domains separately. If you have workgroups or Windows NT 4.0 domains, a domain license server is the only type that you can install, and any terminal server within the Windows NT 4.0 domain or workgroup can discover the license server. Terminal servers in a Windows 2000 or Windows Server 2003 domain can discover domain license servers only if they are in the same domain as the license server.

Enterprise license server

An enterprise license server can serve terminal servers in any domain within a site, but the domain must be a Windows Server 2003 or Windows 2000 Active Directory domain. Both the license server and Terminal Server must be within the same site.

For more information:

Planning the License Server

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc738769(WS.10).aspx

Meanwhile, if a server that has Terminal Server enabled is a member of workgroup or a Windows NT 4.0 domain, there are two methods that you can use to discover a Terminal Services Licensing server. After a Terminal Services Licensing server is located, the discovery process stops.

For your reference:

Terminal Services Licensing service discovery

Thanks.

• Marked as answer by gthagard Thursday, May 5, 2011 12:38 PM
    Thursday, May 5, 2011 2:47 AM
  • Hi,

You need to activate the Windows Server 2008 CAL on the Windows Server 2008 license server, so it depends on the CAL.

Thanks.

• Marked as answer by gthagard Friday, May 6, 2011 1:51 PM
    Friday, May 6, 2011 1:52 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Workgroup discovery scope is only available when the computer that you are installing the TS Licensing role service on is not a member of a domain. If you configure workgroup discovery scope, terminal servers, without any additional configuration, can automatically discover a license server in the same workgroup. And the recommended discovery scope for a license server is Forest.

For more detail:

Terminal Services License Server Discovery

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731605(WS.10).aspx

Thanks.

Wednesday, May 4, 2011 1:37 AM
  • So basically, if I put this RD license server on a WIn2008 box that's in a domain it assumes its an AD domain because NT4-style domains are no longer supported. I can then switch over to Workgroup scope by switching to a Workgroup network but then I need to add local users to make it work. In a nutshell, I've lost domain logins using Win2008 R2 Remote Desktop License Server in an NT4-style domain.

One follow up "yes or no" question:

Will I have this same problem with Win2003?

Wednesday, May 4, 2011 11:55 AM
  • Hi,

There are two types of license servers for Windows Server 2003, a domain license server and an enterprise license server. Decide which of the two types of license servers you require.

Domain license server

A domain license server is appropriate for managing Terminal Server users within a domain. Use a domain license server if you have only one domain, or if you want to manage licenses in each of your domains separately. If you have workgroups or Windows NT 4.0 domains, a domain license server is the only type that you can install, and any terminal server within the Windows NT 4.0 domain or workgroup can discover the license server. Terminal servers in a Windows 2000 or Windows Server 2003 domain can discover domain license servers only if they are in the same domain as the license server.

Enterprise license server

An enterprise license server can serve terminal servers in any domain within a site, but the domain must be a Windows Server 2003 or Windows 2000 Active Directory domain. Both the license server and Terminal Server must be within the same site.

For more information:

Planning the License Server

Meanwhile, if a server that has Terminal Server enabled is a member of workgroup or a Windows NT 4.0 domain, there are two methods that you can use to discover a Terminal Services Licensing server. After a Terminal Services Licensing server is located, the discovery process stops.

For your reference:

Terminal Services Licensing service discovery

Thanks.

• Marked as answer by gthagard Thursday, May 5, 2011 12:38 PM
    Thursday, May 5, 2011 2:47 AM
  • One more follow up question: Can I install Terminal Services License Server on a Win2k3 box and point the WIn2k8 R2 box to use the Win2k3 box for serving up client licenses?

Is that method supported?

Thursday, May 5, 2011 5:41 PM
  • Hi,

You need to activate the Windows Server 2008 CAL on the Windows Server 2008 license server, so it depends on the CAL.

Thanks.

• Marked as answer by gthagard Friday, May 6, 2011 1:51 PM
    Friday, May 6, 2011 1:52 AM