none
Error in gpmc

Question

• On the Win 2008 DC 64 bit version   opening the administrative templates

I receive an error for each template: Encountered error while parsing. An appropriate resource file could not be found for file \\domain\sysvol\domain\Policies\Po... Appcompat.admx (error = 2) The system cannot the file specified.

But if I browse to the same file position the  admx files are there.

The server2008 has been migrated from 2003.   Any idea?

Mauro

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 1:03 PM

Answers

• Hi Mauro,

In Windows Server 2008, ADMX files are divided into language-neutral (.admx files) and language-specific resources (.adml files). They have to been paired together to load into Group Policy Editor.

This error indicates that the .adml file of Appcompat.admx is not found in your central store place. Please check whether the Appcompat.adml file exists in '\SYSVOL\domainname\Policies\PolicyDefinitions\en-us'. (en-us is for English version ADML files)

Hope it helps.

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 7:50 AM
  • Howdie!

MauroPol wrote:

On the Win 2008 DC 64 bit version   opening the administrative templates

I receive an error for each template: Encountered error while parsing. An appropriate resource file could not be found for file \\domain\sysvol\domain\Policies\Po... Appcompat.admx (error = 2) The system cannot the file specified.

DNS is healthy? Can you resolve the domain in cmd using nslookup?

Did you copy the ADML files to a corresponding subfolder of "PolicyDefinitions"? Make sure the ADML files are in a subfolder named like the locale you're in - for example "en-us".

cheers,

Florian

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 6:22 PM

All replies

•  

Well, it sounds like you have setup the Central Store with all ADMX files in a central folder in SYSVOL. Please double check that this folder is there, including all ADMX files and the new DC can perform a lookup in that directory.

More info on the Central Store:

http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/Managing-Windows-Vista-Group-Policy-Part1.html

/Jakob H. Heidelberg

MVP:Enterprise Security

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 5:38 PM
  • Howdie!

MauroPol wrote:

On the Win 2008 DC 64 bit version   opening the administrative templates

DNS is healthy? Can you resolve the domain in cmd using nslookup?

Did you copy the ADML files to a corresponding subfolder of "PolicyDefinitions"? Make sure the ADML files are in a subfolder named like the locale you're in - for example "en-us".

cheers,

Florian

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 6:22 PM
  • Hi Mauro,

In Windows Server 2008, ADMX files are divided into language-neutral (.admx files) and language-specific resources (.adml files). They have to been paired together to load into Group Policy Editor.

This error indicates that the .adml file of Appcompat.admx is not found in your central store place. Please check whether the Appcompat.adml file exists in '\SYSVOL\domainname\Policies\PolicyDefinitions\en-us'. (en-us is for English version ADML files)

Hope it helps.

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 7:50 AM
  • Hi,  the en-us   Adml files are missing.  Now I will search them and copy them.  Many thanks.  Mauro

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 9:16 AM
  • This might be caused bij the PolicyDefinitions folder which you probably used for the migration. I asume you are using Vista desktops in combination with a Windows 2008 domain. If this is correct the PolicyDefinitions folder inside the policies folder in the SYSVOL folder is causing these errors.

You can safely remove(move) the PolicyDefinitions folder because it uses the local PolicyDefinitions folder form C:\Windows which includes all the necessary files. Also Vista does the same, even with different language Vista's.

The only need to have the PolicyDefinitions folder inside the policies folder in SYSVOL is when you have a Windows 2003 domain with Vista desktops.
    Tuesday, April 29, 2008 8:49 AM
  • This is the resolution for the error, the language file was not copied over. 
    Friday, January 27, 2017 8:41 PM
  • Thank you so much for this!

Was struggling with this issue for ages :)

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 12:29 PM