none
Windows Search Service

    Question

  • About six weeks ago we deployed Outlook 2010 to our Windows Server 2003 terminal servers.  We also instatalled Windows Search 4.0 so that users could search their mail.  Since then I've seen the same five warnings and errors come up in the Application event viewer.  The warnings state that a mapi content source cannot be accessed.  The error that follows  states that an update cannot be started due to no access to the content sources.  I've tried rebuilding the search database but the errors just keep showing up.

    There are 4 warnings like this one, each with a different user SID:

    Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: Windows Search Service
    Event Category: Gatherer
    Event ID: 3036
    Date:  5/25/2011
    Time:  2:21:55 PM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: 
    Description:
    The content source <mapi://{s-1-5-21-744066292-1302450677-2847433434-8166}/> cannot be accessed.

    Context:  Application, SystemIndex Catalog

    Details:
     Unspecified error
     (0x80004005)

    This is then followed by the warning about the update:

    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Windows Search Service
    Event Category: Gatherer
    Event ID: 3024
    Date:  5/25/2011
    Time:  2:21:55 PM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: 

    Description:
    The update cannot be started because the content sources cannot be accessed. Fix the errors and try the update again.

    Context:  Application, SystemIndex Catalog

    This happens even when those particular users are not logged in to the server.  Might not be a big deal, but it just seems strange.


    Wednesday, May 25, 2011 7:40 PM

Answers

  • Hi Nardo88, have you tried restart the service?

    To perform this procedure, you must have membership in Administrators, or you must have been delegated the appropriate authority.

    To stop and restart the Windows Search service:

    1. Click Start, point to All Programs, and then click Accessories.
    2. Right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.
    3. If the User Account Control dialog box appears, confirm that the action it displays is what you want, and then click Continue.
    4. At the command prompt, type net stop wsearch to stop the Windows Search service.
    Restart the Windows Search service by typing net start wsearch.

    Also, I suggest you check the solutions in the following links and see if that helps:

    Windows Desktop Search 3.0 does not return Outlook 2007 e-mail items, and event ID 3036 is logged in the Application log
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930010

    Windows Search Service error
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdesktopsearchdevelopment/thread/c0c5561d-c972-4da2-ab22-48d97e69439e

    XADM: Event ID 3036 and 3024 Messages Occur When You Populate Mailbox Store
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/296136

     

    Sean Zhu
    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com


    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 8:01 AM
    Moderator