none
install on new 2019 server - post installation tasks fails: HTTP status 503: Service Unavailable RRS feed

• Question

• I have a 2019 server (new clean install) and am trying to install wsus from the server manager gui.

All goes well until post installation tasks and I get: "Fatal Error: Failed to start and configure the WSUS service"

When I look at the log I see (amongst other things):

2019-08-16 09:47:33  CreateDefaultSubscription failed. Exception: System.Net.WebException: The request failed with HTTP status 503: Service Unavailable.
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.ApiRemoting.GetServerVersion()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.DatabaseAccess.AdminDataAccessProxy.GetServerVersion()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.UpdateServer.CreateUpdateServer(String serverName, Boolean useSecureConnection, Int32 portNumber)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.UpdateServer..ctor(Boolean bypassApiRemoting)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Setup.StartServer.StartServer.CreateDefaultSubscription()
    2019-08-16 09:47:33  StartServer encountered errors. Exception=The request failed with HTTP status 503: Service Unavailable.
    2019-08-16 09:47:33  Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.CommandException: Failed to start and configure the WSUS service

Any ideas?

regards

roga

Friday, August 16, 2019 8:52 AM

Answers

• Hi Roga,

The solution is very simple. 

Go to the IIS Console on your WSUS server
    Delete existing WSUS Administration site
    Reinitiate the post-instalation task.

• Marked as answer by rogajones Friday, August 16, 2019 9:45 AM
    Friday, August 16, 2019 9:00 AM