none
2008 TS: Getting black screen instead of login! Please help :(

Question

• Hi all,

Have a problem with some thin clients we got. This has started happening all of a sudden and nothing has been changed. When the RDP client connects, I am just left with a black screen instead of the W2K8 logon screen with a white cursor.

If I pre-stage login credentials in the thin client that works OK

So for some reason the logon screen just isnt appearing

Anyone got any idea what it could be? Checked all event logs and everything looks good... All of our thin clients have stopped working with this problem, so I'm kind of guessing it is a problem with our 2008 TS. Thin clients are HP T5735's (linux based)

Things I have tried so far:
    Checked TS licencsing - plenty of TS cals available
    Rebooting our TS
    rebooting thin clients 000's of times
    Rebuilt thin client with known working image (although unlikely as all are affected)
    Checked registry on server for erased colour settings on default (login) profile - all good but copied from a working server with correct logon screen
    Rebuilt a fresh 2008 TS box into a VM... works initially but after I join the server up to the domain, I can connect ONCE and then after that I just get the black screen! :(

I can use the thin clients to connect to a 2003 based terminal server or even Vista - the logon screen is displayed as expected.

If anyone can help with this i'd be eternally grateful :D I have an entire computer lab of these things out of action and lots of people are now very annoyed :(

Using 2008 Enterprise x64 (SP1 - have tried SP2 on the freshly built 2008 TS box I did but this did not fix it)

Thanks

Tuesday, June 09, 2009 10:56 AM

Answers

• Steven,

It really does seem like something might have happened client side, since other clients work fine. Are you sure there was no client update, firmware, anything that got installed in the recent past?

Have you tried contacting HP about this to find out if they might know about this?

Thanks,

Kristin L. Griffin

Hope this helps, Kristin L. Griffin
    Friday, June 12, 2009 2:12 AM

All replies

• I'm not sure if it's connected, but if I join the 2008ts to my domain, it works fine in "grace" mode and I can connect as often as I wish. As soon as I enable my TS licensing server (domain discovery mode) this seems to break it?
    Tuesday, June 09, 2009 1:38 PM
  • Hi Stephen,

Have you tried changing the following RDP Client settings on the PC that try to connect

1, Turning the Display settings to High Color (16bit)
    2, Turn off Bitmap Caching (In the Experience tab)

or

http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?t=5741

Thanks

James
    Tuesday, June 09, 2009 1:39 PM
  • Hi, Steven,

I'd see if you can reproduce the problem from another client type (like a PC running XP/Vista). Can you let us know if it reproduces when using a Windows-based RDP client? I've found a thread referring to this problem on that thin client, beginning just recently, and I'm wondering if they're related.

http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1325133

Thanks,
    Christa

Christa Anderson [MSFT]
    Tuesday, June 09, 2009 5:29 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Chaps - thanks for your input. It is MUCH appreciated!

Robbo - I have tried both those and even had the resolution right down. I still get this issue. I will try the MTU "dabbling" tomorrow, but I'm fairly confident it wont be this (still.. all avenues are good!)

Christa - I have plenty of windows-based RDP clients to try. The problem is, if I use XP or Vista TS client, I have to enter logon credentials in the program and this works as it bypasses the logon screen and goes straight to the desktop. I cannot get windows based clients to just display the terminal server logon screen  - unless you know otherwise?

**EDIT** Managed to get windows-based RDP client (XP and Vista). These display the logon screen just fine

But still, every linux RDP client I have here still shows a black logon screen instead :(

Tuesday, June 09, 2009 6:21 PM
  • OK, This is definitely only ocurring when I activate my licence server. As soon as I do... bang! I get the black screen

I've moved my licence server from one box to another (after deactivating and reactivation). I appear to be getting my CALS from clearinghouse OK too.
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 12:46 PM
  • Steven,

It really does seem like something might have happened client side, since other clients work fine. Are you sure there was no client update, firmware, anything that got installed in the recent past?

Have you tried contacting HP about this to find out if they might know about this?

Thanks,

Kristin L. Griffin

Hope this helps, Kristin L. Griffin
    Friday, June 12, 2009 2:12 AM