Remote Desktop Services, Personal Virtual Desktop Collection, Template issue RRS feed

• Question

• First, let me thank everyone for your help up front.  I am trying to configure a Personal Virtual Desktop Collection.  I have the following setup:

1. Windows 2008 Active Directory.  DCDIAG and NETDIAG are clean.
    2. RDS Web Access machine
    3. RDS Connection Broker machine
    4. RDS Virtualization Hyper-v Host configured in a 2 node cluster.
    5. RDS Session Host machine
    6. RDS Licensing Host.
    7.  Syspreped Windows 8 VM.

I am trying to Create Virtual Desktop Collections.  When I get to the "Specify the virtual desktop template screen and I select the virtual machine I receive the super helpful error:  Could not retrieve the virtual desktop template details for win8template template.

I don't see anything in the event logs on either the connection broker nor the Hyper-v/ RD Virtualization Host.  I have done extensive searches on Google and have found little to nothing.  What I did find, was in Japanese.  I translated the site and it mentioned the memory was below 1024.  I set the memory of the vm to 4GB and I still have the same issue.  All of my disks are .VHD's as well.  PLEASE HELP!!
    Sunday, February 24, 2013 12:17 AM

Answers

• So I found the fix.

1.  I created the original VM using MSVMM.  No idea why that would make a difference, but for whatever reason RDS VDI cannot use VM's created by MSVMM.
    2.  I created a VM using Hyper-V manager, installed Windows 8, syspreped using %windir%\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe /generalize /oobe /shutdown /mode:vm
    3.  Poof, issue resolved.

Sunday, February 24, 2013 1:40 AM

All replies

• So I found the fix.

1.  I created the original VM using MSVMM.  No idea why that would make a difference, but for whatever reason RDS VDI cannot use VM's created by MSVMM.
    2.  I created a VM using Hyper-V manager, installed Windows 8, syspreped using %windir%\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe /generalize /oobe /shutdown /mode:vm
    3.  Poof, issue resolved.

Sunday, February 24, 2013 1:40 AM
  • I've faced similar issue. Creating template using Hyper-V manager didn't help. My configuration include Windows 2012 and 2012 R2 servers. I was using Server Manager 2012 console. After I tried to create VDI collection from Server Manager 2012 R2 console, problem has gone and template was accepted.

• Edited by paniczM Wednesday, July 16, 2014 7:24 AM
    Wednesday, July 16, 2014 7:24 AM