none
Windows Server 2016 Failover Cluster Get-Volume lists all volumes RRS feed

• Question

• I created a 2-node failover cluster in my Hyper-V environment. 

My concern here is that when I RAN:

Format-Volume -DriveLetter D

The D drives on both nodes were formatted.

When I ran Get-Volume on one of the nodes, I noticed that my D & E drives on each node was listed twice.

I noticed that 'Storage Replica' was added as a Cluster Resource Type and that the following device is installed:

Microsoft ClusPort HBA

Which some cursory research says:

"The Software Storage Bus (SSB) is a virtual storage bus spanning all the servers that make up the cluster. SSB essentially makes it possible for each server to see all disks across all servers in the cluster providing full mesh connectivity. SSB consists of two components on each server in the cluster; ClusPort and ClusBlft. ClusPort implements a virtual HBA that allows the node to connect to disk devices in all the other servers in the cluster. ClusBlft implements virtualization of the disk devices and enclosures in each server for ClusPort in other servers to connect to."

Is this by design? Is there a way to disable this? How do we fix this?

Windows Server 2016 Standard, running on Hyper-V

Friday, August 9, 2019 3:58 PM

All replies

• Could you please provide some more information about your configuration?  

Generally you should initial/format your disks before adding them to the cluster. 

Did you run the cluster validation?  That is designed to help you ensure you have configured your cluster properly.

It sounds like you are using virtual HBAs.   That requires two sets of HBAs, so it it a bit more complicated configuration than a physical HBA configuration.

tim

Saturday, August 10, 2019 1:25 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your question.

I agree with Tim, we need more detailed information about your current configuration. 

Normally, it would display simply volumes once shown in its diskmanagement except Storage Replica deployment. 

And did you setup Storage Replica in your cluster? 

Are these volumes all general clustered disks? 

Highly appreciate your effort and time. If you have any question or concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael 

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, August 12, 2019 8:17 AM
  • No. I did not configure/set up Storage Replica. It was installed automatically when I installed the Failover Clustering Feature.

These are simply VHDx files individually mounted on each node. They are not part of Cluster Storage Volumes.

These are the HBAs installed on each node, they were installed when I installed Failover Clustering:

On my clusters that are running on Windows Server 2012. I do not see these HBAs, nor is Storage Replica a default Cluster Resource Type. Also, on the Windows Server 2012 VMs, when I run Get-Volume, I get ONLY the volumes that are local to the node.

Monday, August 12, 2019 1:03 PM
  • Your build procedure is non-standard.  By default no HBAs or storage replica are installed, so if you are seeing those, your process put them in there. You also say you only see volumes local to the node.  It sounds like you are trying to build a cluster that is using hardware that is different from your instructions. 

Please provide a list of the hardware you are trying to build into a cluster.  Maybe if we start at the beginning we can provide guidance.

tim

Monday, August 12, 2019 1:18 PM
  • I used the Failover Cluster Wizard. What part of that would be non-standard?
    Monday, August 12, 2019 1:26 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your update.

We can accord to the docs (

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askpfeplat/2012/10/10/windows-server-2012-storage-spaces-is-it-for-you-could-be/),

If you’re really technical and look at the device stack for a disk on occasion within a debugger, you would notice that access to a virtual disk that is part of a storage pool also utilizes the SpacePort.sys device driver.  This is a necessary driver to provide the Storage Spaces functionality within Windows.  You may also find this driver within Device Manager listed under Storage controllers as Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller.  Further, when you look at an actual disk device with something like the System Information tool under System Tools, you will note the model as Microsoft Storage Space Device.

Therefore, these drivers are default drivers within the windows cluster and storage space.  

Reference:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/storage/storage-drivers

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/storage/introduction-to-storage-class-drivers

Besides, Storage Replica Feature wouldn’t automatically install while failover clustering installation normally. Please check if you click the feature and installed it. Please try to remove it to see if it works.

Best regards,

Michael

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 6:50 AM
  • Hi Michael,

I do not have Storage Replica installed on either of the nodes:

However, when I pull up the properties of the cluster I see the following:

I understand that these drivers are installed in a default cluster installation. What I don't understand is why when I run the *-Voiume PowerShell cmdlets, I'm seeing the volumes on the other nodes. I did not have this issue present itself on my Windows Server 2012 R2 machines. Is this a feature that Microsoft put in place? Is this a bug? Is this something that is fixed in a Windows Update?

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 5:39 PM
  • I worked with Microsoft on this issue today and they are able to recreate this issue. According to their senior engineers, the node seeing all volumes on other nodes is by design.

While I'm sure this design is well intended, I can see how disastrous this can be for some organizations. If you're formatting a volume such as:

Format-Volume -DriveLetter D

IF there are multiple D drives on that cluster, ALL D drives will be formatted.

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 7:06 PM
  • Hi,

How are things going on? 

Please feel free to let me know if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Michael

Friday, August 16, 2019 9:16 AM
  • Hi Michael,

Microsoft engineers were able to recreate this issue in their lab environment. They have also stated that this is by design. I am currently waiting for them to come back to me with either a hotfix or workaround that can remove these duplicate volumes showing up on all cluster members.

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 5:27 PM
  • Hi,

How are things going on? Was your issue resolved?

Please feel free to let me know if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Michael

Tuesday, August 27, 2019 6:59 AM