none
Change SID RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings:

In the past, when cloning servers on identical hardware, I would use ghost and then run NEWSID to change the machine SID. NewSID does not work on Windows 2008, and Microsofts recommendation is to use Sysprep.

Does anyone know of any other tools that can change the machine SID similar to NEWSID on Windows 2008 or the switches to do this in Windows 2008. I tried: sysprep /audit /generalize /shutdown

but this changes more than the SID, i just require the SID changed, everything else I can manually configure.

Thanks

Derek.

Thursday, February 28, 2008 7:09 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I downloaded and tested the newsid.exe tool from the following link on my test Windows Server 2008 virtual machine. It worked fine.

http://technet.microsoft.com/zh-cn/sysinternals/bb897418(en-us).aspx

However, I want to let you know that newsid.exe is not supported by Microsoft, as quoted from this article,

"Regarding SIDs, Microsoft does not support images that are prepared using NewSID, we only support images that are prepared using SysPrep. Microsoft has not tested NewSID for all deployment cloning options."

Besides, if you want to automatically configure the system after booting the computer, you can use the answer files with sysprep to achieve this. According to the "Windows Automated Installation Kit (Windows AIK) User's Guide" document included in the Windows AIK, I quote the information for your reference:

"If you install Windows by using an answer file, that answer file is cached to the system so when subsequent configuration passes run, settings in the answer file are applied to the system.

Because this answer file is cached, when you run Sysprep, settings in the cached answer file are applied. If you use the settings in a different answer file, you can specify a separate Unattend.xml file by using the sysprep /unattend:<filename> option."

For more details, please read the "Sysprep Technical Reference\How Sysprep Works" part of this help document.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Chang Yin

Microsoft Online Community Support

Friday, February 29, 2008 12:19 PM