none
Windows Terminal Server 2008 and roaming profile problem

Question

• Hi,

I do not seem to be the only one with this problom, however eventhough I've search the internet, I have not found a solution yet.

The problem is as follow.

I have a window 2003 domain and have added two Windows 2008 Terminal Servers. I want to use roaming profiles, because I want to test the new load balancing functionality in Windows 2008 Terminal Server.

However, as I start using roaming profiles - either by using GPO or just adding the right profile path to the users Terminal Services User Profile in the AD - I get the message "Windows cannot find the local profile.......and is logging on with a temporary profile.....", when the user logs on to the 2008 Terminal Server.

I've made sure that all the right permissions are set on the TS-Profile folder \\servername\TSPROF (Every one: FULL CONTROL, the user have full access to his Profile-folder).

The funny thing is, that the user "Profile folder" is created....e.g. "username.V2", but the user profile data is not unloaded to the folder, as the user log off the 2008 Terminal Server. However the user can browse the folder, and create and delete files in it. When the user logs on to a 2003 Terminal Server, the profile folder "username" is created and, everything works as it should. This folder is also placed in  file://servername/TSPROF 

Is it a Windows 2008 Terminal Server "Bug" or has it something to do with, that I'm using a Windows 2003 AD?

I can't understand, what I'm doing wrong? Can any one help me?

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 8:15 AM

Answers

• I spent days on this but finally got it working and I would say that either the documentation for 2008 is just really flakey/missing or there is a bug

Copying a default userprofile to a different location for roaming works and when user logs in a v2 folder is created beside the roaming profile but there are all sorts or random errors.Either access permission problems even if you manually redo the permissions on the v2 folder and reassign ownership etc it still just wont work.Also the temp user folder that is created will not be deleted from the original users folder at logoff.No amount of manually playing with permissions would fix this

The trick is to delete the roaming profile  folder and start from scratch

using the standard method "System Properties Advanced" of making a default roaming profile by copying a user profile and assigning the permissions to everyone  set up your new profile in your roaming profile location
    then rerun the process and copy same userprofile to your new roaming profile location but making the name xxx.v2.
    this then gives you 2 profiles in your roaming location one normal and one v2 before anyone logs on.
    this will work perfectly and all users will get a temp profile at logon correctly named which will delete when they logoff.

Also removes the bubble you have been logged on with temp profile message on users desktop

NOTE ..****You have to search the registry for any usernames that you have been testing with because if they are there then their logons will be confused and wont work.About 3 or for locations from memory and all random sids
    I had to do this many many times during testing

You will need a clean local profile stored on the server in the users folder(default location) to be able to use it as your template for your roaming profile.this may mean removing their profile paths while you configure and test this user

Unfortunately this breaks again when I change the roaming profile ntuser.dat to .man,the user profile starts being left behind at logoff and other issues come back but hopefully we can figure out why
    Thursday, October 09, 2008 10:34 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I'm confused--are the new user profiles being created but never written to? Do they contain any data? Or is it that once they're created the user never loads from them again?

Two things:
    • Can you confirm the NTFS permissions on the roaming profile folder?
    • Are you using the username and domainname variables if you configure the path from ADUC?
    • Can you confirm the error message--does it really say that it cannot find the local profile?

Thanks,
    Christa [MSFT]

Christa Anderson [MSFT]
    Wednesday, August 27, 2008 11:29 PM
    Owner
  • HI, and sorry for my poor english

I have the same error!!

My config:
    1 server 2008 with AD, DNS...
    2 servers TSE with  TS Broker

I create  OU and place in 2 TSE server

in this OU i make 2 GPO

GPO 1 : lookback in mode "replace"

GPO 2 : roaming profile in folder \\server\Profile$
                  Roaming Desktop and My doc in folder \\server\Users$ 

If i test with user in my AD it s ok. I have my profile of user in \\server\Profils$\username.domain.V2 and i have my doc and my desktop on \\server\Users$\username\desktop and \\server\Users$\username\Mydoc

I add new GPO with more option for restrict profile of user.
    if i test now the roaming profile don t work.  the roaming for desktop and  My Doc work again!!!

I have try to begin at the start with sam issue

Tuesday, September 09, 2008 7:19 PM
  • Delete their profile folder on the server (if exists) then search the registry for their username and delete the instances of them that you find in there. There is a bug where you can delete the profile folder but the registry entry remains and causes the Temporary folder issue.

Guaranteed the registry entry with their UID will point to the default c:\user\<username>\  Once you delete that it should work.

This may be the same issue you are having, because the Terminal server is stuck on whatever that registry entry states as the "home" folder for that user.
    Thursday, September 25, 2008 11:22 PM
  • OK - if you set the policy to delete roaming profiles, should it or should it not delete the registry entry for that user??
    Wednesday, October 08, 2008 4:01 PM
  • I spent days on this but finally got it working and I would say that either the documentation for 2008 is just really flakey/missing or there is a bug

Copying a default userprofile to a different location for roaming works and when user logs in a v2 folder is created beside the roaming profile but there are all sorts or random errors.Either access permission problems even if you manually redo the permissions on the v2 folder and reassign ownership etc it still just wont work.Also the temp user folder that is created will not be deleted from the original users folder at logoff.No amount of manually playing with permissions would fix this

The trick is to delete the roaming profile  folder and start from scratch

using the standard method "System Properties Advanced" of making a default roaming profile by copying a user profile and assigning the permissions to everyone  set up your new profile in your roaming profile location
    then rerun the process and copy same userprofile to your new roaming profile location but making the name xxx.v2.
    this then gives you 2 profiles in your roaming location one normal and one v2 before anyone logs on.
    this will work perfectly and all users will get a temp profile at logon correctly named which will delete when they logoff.

Also removes the bubble you have been logged on with temp profile message on users desktop

NOTE ..****You have to search the registry for any usernames that you have been testing with because if they are there then their logons will be confused and wont work.About 3 or for locations from memory and all random sids
    I had to do this many many times during testing

You will need a clean local profile stored on the server in the users folder(default location) to be able to use it as your template for your roaming profile.this may mean removing their profile paths while you configure and test this user

Unfortunately this breaks again when I change the roaming profile ntuser.dat to .man,the user profile starts being left behind at logoff and other issues come back but hopefully we can figure out why
    Thursday, October 09, 2008 10:34 PM
  • In case anyone is searching for this, kwhelan12's post pointed me in the right direction.  The problem is indeed related to the registry key. 

I haven't seen this key any where on the net, so I am going to post it here for others who might encounter the issue in the future. 

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

Delete the sids that are failing.

Sunday, March 21, 2010 12:46 AM
  • After two days lost in testing shares and NTFS permissions... this simple SID registry key to delete and it fixed my problem!

Thanks A LOT to all of you!!!

Friday, April 09, 2010 11:38 PM
  • After two days lost in testing shares and NTFS permissions... this simple SID registry key to delete and it fixed my problem!

Thanks A LOT to all of you!!!

Friday, April 09, 2010 11:38 PM
  • After two days lost in testing i found this solution. It seems to work for me.

Many thanks!

Wednesday, October 06, 2010 8:28 PM
  • do u have in VMware in yor pc you mast have it after that  Windows 2008 and  win7 and xp after u can anstel or after instel the vmwaer after that u cat test youer system 
    Monday, August 20, 2012 11:19 PM
  • None of this works for me.

Our profile servers (clustered) are 2008, but our Citrix terminal server environment are all Windows 2003 servers.

Right now I'm trying to get a 2008 terminal server working in the same way, in the same environment but without Citrix.  I've even tried creating a new profile share location for 2008 users.

As far as I know, the way it has always worked with 2003 is that the profile is copied from the roaming share to the server where the user logs in.  When they log out, the profile and all changes made to it are copied back to the share, overwriting it to be used the next time that user logs in.

What did they change in 2008? What is this stupid V2 folder it keeps creating? Why does it ignore the actual blank profile folder I'd created for the test user?  What has changed since 2003?  Why is there a "TEMP" folder in the Users directory instead of the name it should be for this user?  Why can't the TEMP folder be deleted when my test user logs out?  Why is it all broken now?

• Edited by Sephethus Thursday, September 06, 2012 4:08 PM
    Thursday, September 06, 2012 4:06 PM
  • thank you it resolve my problem
    Sunday, September 23, 2012 12:00 PM
  • Thumbs up!!  Deleting registry hive with affected user sid solved my problem as well!  THANK YOU!!!!
    Tuesday, November 27, 2012 11:46 PM
  • It doesn't fix the issue for existing profiles.
    Wednesday, August 07, 2013 4:27 AM