none
Windows Server 2008 won't boot normally on DVD RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

My Windows Server 2008 R2 server hangs on the Windows logo but when I try to boot on the DVD, I can't get to the installation menu that would lead to the recovery options.

All I can do it go the the safe mode options, last know configuration...that doesn't go anywhere.

The safe mode starts hangs when it reaches the loading of disk.sys...

All the notes I found say "boot on the DVD, select Language, time,..." but I can't get that far.

What options are left  ?

Is there any tool to repair the OS I could boot on without the need of the Windows DVD ?

Thanks

Eric 

Monday, September 17, 2018 3:53 PM

All replies

• Is this a physical server? Do a hardware diagnostics test. Most server have this bios.

ee

Monday, September 17, 2018 4:12 PM
  • I'll try. Thanks for your reply.
    Tuesday, September 18, 2018 6:13 AM
  • Hi Eric,

Thanks for your question.

I agree with Nelson's reply. I recommend that perform hardware diagnosis, usually a hard disk problem, and memory is also possible.  The hardware check of each brand is different. 

You can refer the link below:

https://ccm.net/faq/49447-how-to-complete-a-dell-diagnostic#enter-a-desktop-computer-diagnostics

Best Regards,

Lee

Just do it.

Tuesday, September 18, 2018 6:57 AM
  • Thanks for the info, Lee.

FYI, the server is a Proliant DL380 G6

Tuesday, September 18, 2018 9:03 AM
  • Thanks for the info, Lee.

FYI, the server is a Proliant DL380 G6

As it's a HP, please use the smartstart dvd, they got burnin test included that test the material.

For the recovery, please check all scanned hardware in case a bad hardware is blocking the boot.

Regards, Philippe

Don't forget to mark as answer or vote as helpful to help identify good information. ( linkedin endorsement never hurt too :o) )

Answer an interesting question ? Create a wiki article about it!

Wednesday, September 19, 2018 1:11 AM
  • Hi,

My Windows Server 2008 R2 server hangs on the Windows logo but when I try to boot on the DVD, I can't get to the installation menu that would lead to the recovery options.

All I can do it go the the safe mode options, last know configuration...that doesn't go anywhere.

The safe mode starts hangs when it reaches the loading of disk.sys...

All the notes I found say "boot on the DVD, select Language, time,..." but I can't get that far.

What options are left  ?

Is there any tool to repair the OS I could boot on without the need of the Windows DVD ?

Thanks

Eric 

If you want to repair the boot failure without using the windows DVD, you can try AOMEI Partition Assistant, it can help you make a bootable usb disk, and you can insert it to the computer with a boot failure issue, and boot Windows Server from the usb drive, and go to AOMEI Partition Assistant, right-click the system disk and select Rebuild MBR.

More info can be seen from:

https://www.disk-partition.com/server-2012/sfc-scannow-server-2012-r2-7201.html

Wednesday, September 19, 2018 3:27 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the info about AOMEI but the Rebuild MBR option for servers isn't available in the free edition.... 

Wednesday, September 19, 2018 7:24 AM