none
Stream Media to the Xbox 360 with Windows Server 2012 Beta Essentials RRS feed

• Question

• It works fine on my Windows 7 PC. The Xbox sees the Windows Server 2012 Beta Essentials PC but does not find any media files(music, videos....)

Is there some setting I am missing?

360 version: 2.0.15574.0

Thanks

• Changed type kariya21Moderator Wednesday, August 8, 2012 3:10 PM technical question
    Wednesday, August 8, 2012 2:38 AM

Answers

• I know.... I did not install any programs or make changes... I will file a bug report on connect. I will re-install it again before filing the bug report. I will try to see if I can recreate the issue.

"Do or Do not there is no try" -- Yoda

I would suggest you file the bug report first and wait to see what log files they want (if any).  Once you have given them everything they want, then go ahead and reinstall.  Worst case scenario is they mark it as "unreproducible".  But at least this way, if there is anything going on with this specifc installation, they might be able to track it down and fix whatever might be causing the problem.  Once you format, whatever went wrong will be gone forever.
    Friday, August 10, 2012 6:10 PM

All replies

• It works fine on my Windows 7 PC. The Xbox sees the Windows Server 2012 Beta Essentials PC but does not find any media files(music, videos....)

Is there some setting I am missing?

360 version: 2.0.15574.0

Thanks

Do you have media streaming enabled on the server?  To clarify, you said it works fine on your Win7 PC.  Do you mean it works fine streaming from your server to your Win7 PC, or do you mean it works fine streaming from your Win7 PC to your Xbox 360?
    Wednesday, August 8, 2012 3:12 PM
  • Yes I have the streaming on.  It works streaming from the server to the win7 PC. It does not stream to the Xbox 360 from the server. 

Hope this helps..

Thanks

Wednesday, August 8, 2012 6:47 PM
  • I re-installed Windows Server 2012 Beta Essentials(clean). Now the Xbox can stream the videos from the server but not the music.  I am getting closer...

Thanks

Thursday, August 9, 2012 2:48 AM
  • I re-installed Windows Server 2012 Beta Essentials(clean). Now the Xbox can stream the videos from the server but not the music.  I am getting closer...

Thanks

Well, that's a start.  :)  Are you able to at least see the files when viewing from the Xbox (or do they just not even show up)?
    Thursday, August 9, 2012 3:55 AM
  • Yea I know. That is why it's beta.... ;) The files do not even show up on the Xbox. 

Thanks

Thursday, August 9, 2012 1:31 PM
  • Yea I know. That is why it's beta.... ;) The files do not even show up on the Xbox. 

Thanks

What are the file types that you're trying to stream that aren't showing up on the Xbox?
    Thursday, August 9, 2012 4:12 PM
  • DRM free mp3's. 

Thanks

Thursday, August 9, 2012 5:22 PM
  • DRM free mp3's. 

Thanks

Hmmm.... it works fine for me with my 360.

*grasping at straws now*   Do you have the mp3s in the Music folder?  Did you let WS2012E create the Music folder automatically (which happens when you enable Media Streaming) or did you create the Music folder yourself?  Are any of the mp3s showing up?  How many mp3s do you have total?  Have you done anything "out of the ordinary" from the desktop (installing applications, changing settings, etc.)?  Have you tried rebooting the server?

EDIT:  Any chance that the Music folder is not set to stream in the Dashboard?  (Settings > Media > Customize)
    Thursday, August 9, 2012 6:24 PM
  • I have 98GB of music. Yes I let WS2012E create the folder. The mp3's are in the music folder. I have rebooted the server. Music folder is set to stream. None show up on the Xbox. The Xbox searches the server for a minute then finds nothing. I will check on the server and see what services are running. I will attach a screen shot of it. The server could be indexing the files... 

"Do or Do not there is no try" -- Yoda Thanks

Thursday, August 9, 2012 8:55 PM
  • Hi,

Two suggestion:

1 Can you play those music from Media Player? Then index is ready.

2 Just put one song to Music folder first, is that work?

• Edited by Finfou Friday, August 10, 2012 8:26 AM
    Friday, August 10, 2012 6:56 AM
  • Yes I can stream in Media Player on a Win 7 PC. I have just one mp3 in the folder now. Still can not stream to the Xbox.  The Xbox can stream video files from the server.

I will d/l the iso again and re-install the OS this weekend.

Friday, August 10, 2012 4:51 PM
  • Yes I can stream in Media Player on a Win 7 PC. I have just one mp3 in the folder now. Still can not stream to the Xbox.  The Xbox can stream video files from the server.

I will d/l the iso again and re-install the OS this weekend.

If you are able to stream videos, photos, and music from WS2012E to WMP on your Win7 box, then there is nothing wrong with your server.  It sounds to me like there is something wrong with your Xbox.

Are you able to stream from another source to your Xbox (using the same media files that don't show up when streaming from WS2012E to your Xbox)?

Friday, August 10, 2012 5:17 PM
  • Well, last thing I can thought of, can you play music shared by other device(for example, windows media center, WMP12) on xbox?

To make sure it's not xbox's problem.

Friday, August 10, 2012 5:21 PM
  • Yes I can stream the same mp3's and videos from a Pogoplug hard drive to the Xbox. 

Friday, August 10, 2012 5:38 PM
  • Yes I can stream the same mp3's and videos from a Pogoplug hard drive to the Xbox. 

Hmmmm, that's strange...

If 2012 to WMP works and Pogoplug to Xbox works, 2012 to Xbox should work as well.  Have you done anything outside of the Dashboard on Server 2012 Essentials?  Did you install any programs, change any settings from the server desktop, etc.?  If not, you should file a bug report on Connect.

Friday, August 10, 2012 5:52 PM
  • I know.... I did not install any programs or make changes... I will file a bug report on connect. I will re-install it again before filing the bug report. I will try to see if I can recreate the issue.

Friday, August 10, 2012 5:59 PM

I would suggest you file the bug report first and wait to see what log files they want (if any).  Once you have given them everything they want, then go ahead and reinstall.  Worst case scenario is they mark it as "unreproducible".  But at least this way, if there is anything going on with this specifc installation, they might be able to track it down and fix whatever might be causing the problem.  Once you format, whatever went wrong will be gone forever.
    Friday, August 10, 2012 6:10 PM
  • Ok will do that.

Friday, August 10, 2012 6:29 PM
  • Microsoft cold not repo the issue. I did a clean install on RC and it works fine!!!

Sunday, August 26, 2012 12:32 AM
  • Microsoft cold not repo the issue. I did a clean install on RC and it works fine!!!

Glad to hear you got it working!
    Sunday, August 26, 2012 1:09 AM