none
Unable to install Role service error - when installing Remote desktop services RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to install Remote Desktop services on a Windows 2012 VM, so i can use RemoteApp.

I have installed Active Directory and made the VM a domain Controller.

I go through add roles/services, select the remote Desktop Services Scenario based installation, select Quick Start, select Session Virtualization and select the server from the server pool. I then tick restart automattically if required and Click Deploy.

After this I get the screen with 3 installs Remote Desktop Role Services, Session Collections and remoteApp programs. the install bar progresses to about 20% on Remote Desktop Role services then fails citing Unable to install Role/Services as the only reason. I have no option to get any further information i can only close the dialog.

When this happens none of the role services on the VM work and i when i refresh it says unable to collect role and feature data, the server requires a restart. I restart the VM and when it turns on i get a Please Wait timer and then a configuring system timer, when these have finished I can log onto the server and it is exactly the same as it was before the installation.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated,

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 12:23 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You cannot install RD Connection Broker on a domain controller; it will not work.  Please install your RDS Role Services in a separate VM from your DC.  For example:

• Physical server -- Server 2012 Standard with Hyper-V installed
    • VM1 -- Server 2012 Standard with AD DS installed, promoted to domain controller
    • VM2 -- Server 2012 Standard, joined to domain, RDCB, RDWeb, RDSH, RD Licensing installed

VM1 and VM2 could be configured to auto-start, with VM2 set to a 60 second delay to allow the DC (VM1) to finish starting.

A Server 2012 Standard license entitles you to run it on physical plus 2 VMs.  The key part is that the physical instance must only be used for Hyper-V and managing the VMs (like RDVH).  If you use the physical instance for more than that it counts against your total, so you would only be able to install Server 2012 Standard in one VM without an additional license.

Thanks.

-TP

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 4:24 PM
  • Wednesday, October 31, 2012 12:46 PM

All replies

• Wednesday, October 31, 2012 12:46 PM
  • Hi,

You cannot install RD Connection Broker on a domain controller; it will not work.  Please install your RDS Role Services in a separate VM from your DC.  For example:

• Physical server -- Server 2012 Standard with Hyper-V installed
    • VM1 -- Server 2012 Standard with AD DS installed, promoted to domain controller
    • VM2 -- Server 2012 Standard, joined to domain, RDCB, RDWeb, RDSH, RD Licensing installed

VM1 and VM2 could be configured to auto-start, with VM2 set to a 60 second delay to allow the DC (VM1) to finish starting.

A Server 2012 Standard license entitles you to run it on physical plus 2 VMs.  The key part is that the physical instance must only be used for Hyper-V and managing the VMs (like RDVH).  If you use the physical instance for more than that it counts against your total, so you would only be able to install Server 2012 Standard in one VM without an additional license.

Thanks.

-TP

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 4:24 PM