Windows could not search for new updates. Code 80072EE2 RRS feed

• Question

• First some background...

I am running Windows Server 2008 / Hyper-V

I have a Vista guest OS that I loaded from a base image (vhd)

I also have a 2008 server guest OS also loaded from a base image

These images were not created on this machine.

I did have XP guest OS installed from CD but have since taken it off.

The machine this is all running on has a Intel  Core 2 X6800 2.93 GHz processor.

8GB DDR2 RAM

I have been having this problem for several weeks now.  At first  I couldn't get the host OS to run updates it would fail with an error code of 80072EFE. This presisted for several weeks. Finally while researching this problem I stumbled across an entry mentioning that BITS needed to be running so I double checked it. Sure enough it was off. I started the service and that fixed the problem with the host OS and apparently problems it was having with other sites.

So I'm thinking great that's the issues with the Vista and the 2008 guest OS's. No such luck, these systems still will not run updates.  The 2008 OS returns an error "Windows could not search for updates" with an error code of 80072EE2

I have tried several solutions to this problem and at least twice have reloaded the base images because I had mucked about in the system so much that I had lost track of all the changes I had made to the OS.

I have run these commands ...

regsvr32 /s wuapi.dll
    regsvr32 /s wuaueng1.dll
    regsvr32 /s wuaueng.dll
    regsvr32 /s wucltui.dll
    regsvr32 /s wups2.dll
    regsvr32 /s wups.dll
    regsvr32 /s wuweb.dll

I have also tried the procedure found here...

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-SG/vistawu/thread/6511a332-7de3-4f10-b823-49b6dae86b9c

Which loads a new "TrustedInstaller.exe" to the folder "C:\windows\Servicing\"

And on the Vista OS I also tried this ...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Clicking the "Fix It" link.

Still not working.

Oddly though as I am typing this I had restarted the Vista guest OS and when it restarted it notified me that it was installing updates 1 of 3. However when it finished I tried to check for updates and it gives me the same error "Windows cannot search for updates" with an error code of 80072EE2.

Has anyone found an answer to this issue.  It does appear to be a somewhat common issue because I am seeing a lot of people with the same issues as I Google around for answers.

Friday, December 18, 2009 7:16 PM

Answers

• Hello Net2rd,

Thank you for posting here.

According to your descritpion, I understand you are experiencing an Windows update issue with an error code of 80072EE2.

Please go through the following KB's troubleshoot steps to see if it resolves the issue. 

You may encounter temporary connection-related errors when you use Windows Update or Microsoft Update to install updates
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=836941

Best Regards,
    Wilson Jia
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Wilson Jia Monday, December 28, 2009 1:37 AM
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 9:34 AM

All replies

• Hello Net2rd,

Thank you for posting here.

According to your descritpion, I understand you are experiencing an Windows update issue with an error code of 80072EE2.

Please go through the following KB's troubleshoot steps to see if it resolves the issue. 

You may encounter temporary connection-related errors when you use Windows Update or Microsoft Update to install updates

Best Regards,
    Wilson Jia
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Wilson Jia Monday, December 28, 2009 1:37 AM
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 9:34 AM
  • I too battled this little problem. Activation and Windows Update both fail with error 80072EE2. There are a few other error codes similar, but 80072EE2 was the major blocker for my Windows Server 2008 R2 deployments. Mine were all experienced when deployed as virtual servers in Hyper-V.

Lots of great info on this topic, like the link referenced in this thread by Wilson Jia,

What eventually worked for me on each of my machines was to create a Connection Security Rule under the Firewall node in Server Manager. In the rule wizard, select an Authentication Exemption, then provide the IP address of the machine. Lastly, turn the Firewall off and back on.

What this does, I have no idea, but I do know that immediately after performing these steps each of my VMs was able to run Windows Update and also activate. And as a poor man's control measure, I did two machines on one day. The third kept failing until I applied the same fix the following day.

Sunday, April 25, 2010 4:29 AM