none
ADPREP.EXE - Entry Point not found I_NetPathType in netapi32.dll

Question

• I have seen a few threads on this already but I didnt see an actual resolution plus the other threads didnt match my config either.... Heres the issues

I have a new installation of SBS 2008 x64 on a dell server (Windows standard FE SP2). Its fully patched and is a domain controller. If I run ADPREP on this server both domainprep and forestprep come back that the domain is updated and current.

I have a second server, another dell machine. On this one I have Server 2008 Enterprise R2 x64 installed. This machien is joined to the domain and I have no issues logging in or accessing the domain.

The issue is that I am trying to promote the second machine to an additional domain controller. When I run DCPROMO I can get through all the steps until it tries to promote the server and says I need to run adprep. If I run adprep off the SBS disks or the Enterprise disks I get the following error message (remember both servers are x64)

ADPREP.EXE - Entry point not found. The procedure entry point I_NetPathType could not be located in the dynamic link library netapi32.dll

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 5:18 AM

Answers

• Hello!

Try to run adprep.exe from win 2k8R2 disk \support\Adprep, copy this folder to existing dc and then run adprep /fP, DP.

Regards, Abhay Jagdish Singh.
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 6:45 AM
  • Hello,

to understand you correct, you use the adprep.exe from \support\adprep folder on the Windows server 2008 R2 installation disk?

If this is the case it seems that your installtion media can be broken, so try with another Windows server 2008 R2 media, can even be a trial version to download here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/trial-software.aspx

Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 7:12 AM
  • My SBS came with 5 disks. There is an ADPREP on 3 of them and I tried them all. They all work fine on the DC. If I run it on the DC it goes through the motion and tells me that the current domain is up to date (both FP and DP). If I run them on the second server (either the SBS version or the one from the x64 disk I used to install the machine) I get the same error message on all of them. At this point I am just about ready to wipe the second server and reload it (its not really doing anything, I only just set it up a few months ago to make it a secondary server) I hate giving up!

I beleive there is an incompatibility between SBS and Enterprise versions. There seems to be a lot fo that with the SBS version? Not sure what MS did differently with SBS (which says FE when you look at the version) but I have had several other issues with the server as well. If I reload the second server this time I will use the disk in the SBS set labeld "additional 2008 servers in SBS" disak 4 in the set (disk 5 was SQL)

Other issues I had were with the exchange config and that was installed as part of the SBS. other issues with fiel permissions too (liek so strict, I could even use IE unless I was adminsitrator. I had to turn off some of these "features" just to make the server usable!

Hello,

i did not talk about the SBS installation disk, i meant the Windows server 2008 R2 installation disk, where you installed the second server from. If you don't have an installation disk download the trial version and use that one to upgrade the schema.

On the SBS installation disks you will NOT find the needed schema updates to version 47. You can check the current schema version with:

"dsquery * cn=schema,cn=configuration,dc=domainname,dc=local -scope base -attr objectVersion" without the quotes in a command prompt

I assume that the output will be 44 = Windows server 2008

Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 8:06 AM
  • Hi,

To prepare for a Windows Server 2008 R2 additional DC, you need to insert the Windows Server 2008 R2 installation disk on the computer running SBS 2008 x64. Then, run adprep.exe from \support\adprep folder on the Windows Server 2008 R2 installation disk.

For more information, please refer to: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc708131(WS.10).aspx

If you need further assistance, as the issue is related to SBS, for quick and accurate response to the question, it is recommended you create a new thread in the SBS forum. The support professional there are more familiar with it and can help you in a more efficient way.

Small Business Server forum

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/smallbusinessserver/threads

Regards,

Bruce

• Marked as answer by Bruce-Liu Tuesday, August 24, 2010 6:31 AM
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 8:11 AM

All replies

• Hello!

Try to run adprep.exe from win 2k8R2 disk \support\Adprep, copy this folder to existing dc and then run adprep /fP, DP.

Regards, Abhay Jagdish Singh.
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 6:45 AM
  • Hello,

to understand you correct, you use the adprep.exe from \support\adprep folder on the Windows server 2008 R2 installation disk?

If this is the case it seems that your installtion media can be broken, so try with another Windows server 2008 R2 media, can even be a trial version to download here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/trial-software.aspx

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 7:12 AM
  • My SBS came with 5 disks. There is an ADPREP on 3 of them and I tried them all. They all work fine on the DC. If I run it on the DC it goes through the motion and tells me that the current domain is up to date (both FP and DP). If I run them on the second server (either the SBS version or the one from the x64 disk I used to install the machine) I get the same error message on all of them. At this point I am just about ready to wipe the second server and reload it (its not really doing anything, I only just set it up a few months ago to make it a secondary server) I hate giving up!

I beleive there is an incompatibility between SBS and Enterprise versions. There seems to be a lot fo that with the SBS version? Not sure what MS did differently with SBS (which says FE when you look at the version) but I have had several other issues with the server as well. If I reload the second server this time I will use the disk in the SBS set labeld "additional 2008 servers in SBS" disak 4 in the set (disk 5 was SQL)

Other issues I had were with the exchange config and that was installed as part of the SBS. other issues with fiel permissions too (liek so strict, I could even use IE unless I was adminsitrator. I had to turn off some of these "features" just to make the server usable!

Thursday, August 12, 2010 3:00 AM

Hello,

i did not talk about the SBS installation disk, i meant the Windows server 2008 R2 installation disk, where you installed the second server from. If you don't have an installation disk download the trial version and use that one to upgrade the schema.

On the SBS installation disks you will NOT find the needed schema updates to version 47. You can check the current schema version with:

"dsquery * cn=schema,cn=configuration,dc=domainname,dc=local -scope base -attr objectVersion" without the quotes in a command prompt

I assume that the output will be 44 = Windows server 2008

Thursday, August 12, 2010 8:06 AM
  • Hi,

To prepare for a Windows Server 2008 R2 additional DC, you need to insert the Windows Server 2008 R2 installation disk on the computer running SBS 2008 x64. Then, run adprep.exe from \support\adprep folder on the Windows Server 2008 R2 installation disk.

For more information, please refer to: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc708131(WS.10).aspx

If you need further assistance, as the issue is related to SBS, for quick and accurate response to the question, it is recommended you create a new thread in the SBS forum. The support professional there are more familiar with it and can help you in a more efficient way.

Small Business Server forum

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/smallbusinessserver/threads

Regards,

Bruce

• Marked as answer by Bruce-Liu Tuesday, August 24, 2010 6:31 AM
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 8:11 AM
  • Old thread, yes, but I experienced the same issue.

I had used the ADPREP utility from Windows 2008 instead of ADPREP from the 2008 R2 disc.

When I ran the older version of the tool on my 2008 R2 server, it gave the error.

Tuesday, October 04, 2011 12:11 PM