none
Can't connect by using Remote connect RRS feed

• Question

• Hello I am using windows 10 and I can't connect to my VPS server .. I have been searched about this and they told me delete 

Remote Desktop Services Security Filter Driver in Device manager > View > Show hidden devices > non-plug and play drivers

then delete it. so Remote Desktop Services Security Filter Driver not showing in device manager under the hidden non-plug and play drivers. How can I get it back? Is there installation package I can download to install again?

Tuesday, January 21, 2020 8:49 AM

Answers

• The problem fixed by myself. 

The solution : Start vpn that's it and thank you all

• Marked as answer by abody51 Wednesday, January 22, 2020 7:04 PM
    Wednesday, January 22, 2020 7:04 PM

All replies

• Why no reply?
    Tuesday, January 21, 2020 3:31 PM
  • Why would you delete something named "Security Filter Driver"? And a hidden one at that? Who are "they"? Maybe you should ask "they" how to get it back. Is "they" the hosting service support? Why don't you just ask them to redeploy the server?. Or do they provide a server backup that could be restored?  

I cannot find  "Remote Desktop Services Security Filter Driver " on my Win10 machines. I assume that you deleted it from the server. That implies that you have console access to the server since you "can't connect" (which I assume refers to remote desktop).

You can try uninstalling the Terminal Services role, reboot, and reinstall on the server. 

When it comes back try mstsc.exe again. If it fails, what error message do you get? Then test to see if the port is being blocked by a firewall with this Powershell command.  "test-netconnection  -computername your-server-name-or-IP -CommonTCPPort rdp". 

• Edited by MotoX80 Tuesday, January 21, 2020 11:31 PM
    Tuesday, January 21, 2020 11:30 PM
  • Hi,

I want to confirm with you if you establish remote desktop connection from Windows 10 using MSTSC (Remote Desktop Connection) to a remote system?

What is the error message when it fails to connection? Also, please check Event Viewer and confirm that if there is any relate event has been logged. Event location such as below:
    Event Viewer -> Applications and Services Logs -> Microsoft -> Windows -> TerminalServices and RemoteDesktopServices

Also, you can open CMD with admin permission, using TELNET to test RDP default port 3389 function:
    telnet <remote system ip address> 3389

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 6:59 AM
  • Hi :) . when I said " They " I mean those guys in another forums that prefer to me to uninstall the driver.

Note : I am trying to connect to Ubuntu because I have installed on it ' XRDP ' script. to remote it by remote desktop connection. but there is an error while connecting . The error : 

This computer can't connect to the remote computer.

" Try connecting again. If the problem continues, contact the owner of the remote computer or your network administrator " 

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 2:09 PM
  • Note : I am trying to connect to Ubuntu because I have installed on it ' XRDP ' script. to remote it by remote desktop connection. but there is an error while connecting . The error : 

If XRDP uses port 3389 and you are running Windows's mstc.exe, then run the Powershell test that I suggested in my prior reply to verify that the ports are open in the firewalls. 

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 2:56 PM
  • That's not the command that I posted.

Then test to see if the port is being blocked by a firewall with this Powershell command.  "test-netconnection  -computername your-server-name-or-IP -CommonTCPPort rdp". 

PS C:\Users\Dave> test-netconnection -ComputerName test10b -CommonTCPPort rdp

ComputerName     : test10b
    RemoteAddress    : 192.168.1.5
    RemotePort       : 3389
    InterfaceAlias   : Wi-Fi
    SourceAddress    : 192.168.1.2
    TcpTestSucceeded : True
    Wednesday, January 22, 2020 3:24 PM
  • the command that i have used : test-netconnection -ComputerName **.**.**.*** -CommonTCPPort rdp

Note : I hide my VPS ip with ( * ).

PS C:\Users\Abdullah> test-netconnection **.**.**.*** rdp
    ComputerName     : **.**.**.***
    RemoteAddress    : **.**.**.***
    RemotePort       : 3389
    InterfaceAlias   : Ethernet 2
    SourceAddress    : 192.168.100.11
    TcpTestSucceeded : True

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 6:07 PM

• Note : I hide my VPS ip with ( * ).

Except that you included an IP in a prior post. Works for me on my Win10 Home laptop. 

• Edited by MotoX80 Wednesday, January 22, 2020 7:49 PM
    Wednesday, January 22, 2020 6:19 PM
  • well.. idk why it didn't work for me I have windows 10 pro .. must I start some services or something? 

and please delete the picture because my vps ip there.

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 6:36 PM
  • The problem fixed by myself. 

The solution : Start vpn that's it and thank you all

• Marked as answer by abody51 Wednesday, January 22, 2020 7:04 PM
    Wednesday, January 22, 2020 7:04 PM
  •  please delete the picture because my vps ip there.

Done, but it doesn't matter. The hackers scan will eventually find any open port 3389 on the internet. Make sure you use good passwords for all accounts. 
    Wednesday, January 22, 2020 7:50 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to share details. Your share might be helpful for other people who has similar problem. 

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post on the forum.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 23, 2020 8:08 AM