none
Upgrade Questions: Upgrading Windows Server 2008 R2 to Windows Server 2012 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hopefully this is the right place to ask this question:

I have client who has 3 locations and 3 domain controllers (one DC at each location) all running Windows Server 2008 R2 needing to be upgraded to Windows Server 2012 R2.

• Location 1 has the PDC (physical box) - Roles: AD DS, DHCP, DNS, FS, Print Server
    • Location 2 has one DC (physical box) - Roles: AD DS, DHCP, DNS, FS, Print Server
    • Location 3 has one DC (VM) - Roles: AD DS, DHCP, DNS, FS, NPAS, Print Server

All servers are apart of a single DFS namespace.

All locations are connected to one another under one forest and domain via MPLS

DCDIAG /v looks good, REPADMIN /REPLSUMMARY looks good on all DC's, no concerns there.

We are attempting to do an in-place upgrade for the client to solve the immediate pain of not having security updates since Server 2008 is no longer updated my Microsoft.

My question is, should we upgrade the PDC first (after forestprep and domainprep of course)?

Or does it matter which one we do first?

Any other caveats or gotcha's I need to be aware of besides the obvious (like program compatibility) given the information above?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 10:04 PM

Answers

• I'd recommend against and in-place upgrade. An in-place upgrade carries high risk and possible corruption carry-forward. Better to clean install, and migrate roles.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Joshua_ Friday, January 24, 2020 1:53 PM
    Wednesday, January 22, 2020 10:09 PM

All replies

• I'd recommend against and in-place upgrade. An in-place upgrade carries high risk and possible corruption carry-forward. Better to clean install, and migrate roles.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Joshua_ Friday, January 24, 2020 1:53 PM
    Wednesday, January 22, 2020 10:09 PM
  • Thank you for the reply; can you elaborate on what risks & corruption we face when doing an in-place upgrade?
    Thursday, January 23, 2020 4:01 PM
  • The risks and corruption possibilities are infinitely variable depending on a given state or situation.

Thursday, January 23, 2020 4:12 PM
  • Thank you for your help Dave, I appreciate it!
    Friday, January 24, 2020 1:54 PM
  • You're welcome.

Friday, January 24, 2020 2:03 PM