none
Incorrect Idle time in Server Manager RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

I have notice that Server Manager\Remote Desktop Services\Collections\CollectionName\Connections 

shows incorrect Idle time. It begins count Idle time only for disconnected sessions. 

Even when session was reconnected it continues counting Idle time, ignoring user activity.

Powershell cmdlet Get-RDUserSession returns the same incorrect Idle time.

Only "query user" command returns correct information.

Has anyone else seen this problem? 

P.S. Reproduced on Windows Server 2012 R2 with latest updates.

Tuesday, July 28, 2015 1:55 PM

All replies

• Hi Apollo,

Would you please tell us how did you configure idle time settings, from Group Policy or Session Collection properties?

I may test this to see whether I would get the same result as yours.

Best Regards,

Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 29, 2015 11:14 AM
  • I didn't configure any idle or disconnect time settings.

I talk about displaying Idle time for user sessions by Server Manager and Get-RDUserSession cmdlet

Wednesday, July 29, 2015 11:42 AM
  • Yes. I am seeing the same issue on our Windows Server 2012 Remote Desktop server.

The user exits a RemoteApp.The Session State shows Disconnected, the disconnect time appears, and the idle time starts counting up. The user reopens the RemoteApp. The Session State shows Active, but the disconnect time remains and the idle time keeps counting up.

Interestingly, I enabled "Set time limit for disconnected session" and set the time to 2 hours (all other timeouts left at default settings). Not one of the sessions showing an idle time > 2 hours and a Session State = Active was disconnected. This is exactly what I want. Sessions with an Idle Time > 2 hours AND a Session State = Disconnected are to be terminated.

• Edited by braasit Thursday, September 3, 2015 8:53 PM grammar
    Thursday, September 3, 2015 2:57 PM
  • Yes I am seeing the same.  The IdleTime value cannot be used to work out how long an active or connected session has been idle.  The only useful thing you can do with the IdleTime value is when there is a disconnected session, it tells you accurately how long it was disconnected for.  It tells you nothing useful about active\connected sessions.  As far as I know, there is no way to use PowerShell determine how long an active or connected RDS session has really been idle.  If anyone does know how to do it, I'd be interested to see it.

Richard Gillis, MCITP Server 2008 Administrator in Birmingham UK

Tuesday, September 15, 2015 5:25 PM
  • Hi,

Did you solve your issue, i have exactly the same issue on my server manager, use rds 2012 ?

Thanks

Wednesday, October 11, 2017 12:15 PM
  • I'm seeing the same behavior. All patched except for the October roll up. This along with other issues with users getting black screen on login or it taking 10 minutes to login, plus RSAT on Windows 10 is unusable for Remote Desktop Services Manager. Very frustrating.
    Tuesday, November 14, 2017 3:11 PM
  • Any update on this issue?

Friday, February 23, 2018 3:02 PM
  • I am working on deploying a 2016 RDS farm and I am seeing the same issue. My session timeout settings are pushed through Session Collection properties and not Group Policy. The sessions seem to abide by the timeouts I set even thought the counter in server manager is wrong.

We built a program using Cassia (https://code.google.com/archive/p/cassia/) that is much more useful than any of Microsoft's utilities. It even reports the idle time correctly.

• Edited by MikeD.1428 Thursday, April 26, 2018 6:24 PM
    Thursday, April 26, 2018 6:11 PM
  • I'm seeing the same on Server 2016 Standard, Build 1607
    Thursday, May 24, 2018 7:11 PM
  • same thing on my rds 2012 r2. the user is active but the idle time kept counting up.
    Thursday, May 31, 2018 2:31 AM
  • Comfirmed exists in 2019 RDS also, ticket logged with MS PS
    Wednesday, July 3, 2019 3:44 AM