none
Warning Event ID 906 ESENT Performance RRS feed

• Question

• svchost (928) A significant portion of the database buffer cache has been written out to the system paging file. This may result in severe performance degradation. 
    See help link for complete details of possible causes. 
    Previous cache residency state: 4608% (100 out of ? buffers) (0 seconds ago) 
    Current cache residency state:  0% (4611 out of %10 buffers) 
    Current cache size vs. target:  %11% (%12 MBs) 
    Physical Memory / RAM size:     %13 MBs

Is this the cause of my slow performance server?

Monday, March 28, 2016 7:54 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

Before we go further, would you please describe your environment briefly? Do you have Exchange Server installed?

If yes, Please run the EXBPA in the Toolbox to do a Health Check.

Please also use Task Manager, review any running processes for unusually high memory consumption.

Below information comes from TechNet article, for your reference:

Determine whether enough memory is installed on the server. Add more memory if it is required.

Verify that the system page file is set correctly. The page file size minimum and maximum must be set to the amount of physical RAM plus 10 MB.

A significant portion of the database buffer cache has been written out to the system paging file. This may result in severe performance degradation

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh344030%28v=exchg.140%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 29, 2016 7:06 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

Before we go further, would you please describe your environment briefly? Do you have Exchange Server installed?

If yes, Please run the EXBPA in the Toolbox to do a Health Check.

Please also use Task Manager, review any running processes for unusually high memory consumption.

Below information comes from TechNet article, for your reference:

Determine whether enough memory is installed on the server. Add more memory if it is required.

Verify that the system page file is set correctly. The page file size minimum and maximum must be set to the amount of physical RAM plus 10 MB.

A significant portion of the database buffer cache has been written out to the system paging file. This may result in severe performance degradation

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh344030%28v=exchg.140%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 29, 2016 7:06 AM
  • Hello.  I have the same issue on my two Server 2012 DCs.  No Exchange, just AD, DNS, and DHCP.  For me, it's related to Windows Update and the Windows Store Service.  The warnings are logged when updates are found and downloaded.  Have you ever figured out how to prevent them?  My servers have 8GB memory and it doesn't appear like that memory is being exhausted.
    Wednesday, June 8, 2016 4:53 PM
  • Hi,

We recommend you post a new thread in our forum as this thread has been marked as answer.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Monday, June 13, 2016 2:36 AM
  • Yea, but the original poster never responded so we don't actually know if the post marked as answer helped him.  In my case, nothing in that post solves it.
    Monday, June 13, 2016 1:20 PM