Global Name-Zones RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

what do clients need for using globalName-Zones?

Should they have a winds-entry pointing to the 2008-Server with globalName-Zones?

Thanxs

Andy

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 2:19 PM

All replies

• Andy,

A GlobalName zone is used to allow static single-label name resolution to your environment.  Let's say you have the following environment.

Client - client

FQDN - client.corp.com

Server - web1

FQDN - web1.it.corp.com

You want to be able on your client to just type http://web1 and have it resolve for your clients.  By creating a GlobalNames zone you will be adding a CNAME record to point web1 to web1.it.corp.com and be able to transition away from WINS doing this static single-label name resolution.

Again this is just a basic example because you could have also added DNS suffixes to your client for it.corp.com, but I just wanted to give you a basic example.  One thing that I have read is if you go to an IPv6 environment you will no longer be able to use WINS and will be required to use DNS.  So if you need a single-label name resolution you will have to use GlobalNames.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Windows+2008+DNS+GlobalNames  and open the first link to the Microsoft Document on GlobalName zones.

I hope this helps...

Thursday, March 27, 2008 2:45 PM
  • The answers to your questions are as follows: 1) you need a server operating Windows Server 2008, a client machine, and the DNS and Global Names Zones roles installed on the server

2) No, you do not need WINS, as the Global Names Zone is a replacement for WINS. Hopefully this answers your technical question better than an explanation of what the GNZ does, which was completely irrelevant to your inquery.

And before anyone makes a stupid comment about the post has been dead for 4 years, it's still a valid question on Microsoft's most 'current' Operating system, so don't make any retarded flames.

• Proposed as answer by ZariusCorten Monday, April 25, 2011 6:45 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by ZariusCorten Monday, April 25, 2011 6:45 PM
    • Proposed as answer by ZariusCorten Monday, April 25, 2011 6:45 PM
    Monday, April 25, 2011 6:43 PM