none
Windows Server 2016 datacenter - explorer.exe crash (event id 1000) after open SystemSettings.exe (Immersive Control Panel) RRS feed

• Question

• Right after click at start > settings the explorer.exe blinks (crash loop)

In task manager, the process:

C:\Windows\ImmersiveControlPanel\SystemSettings.exe "C:\Windows\ImmersiveControlPanel\SystemSettings.exe" -ServerName:microsoft.windows.immersivecontrolpanel

it's impacting explorer.exe

I did these commands that, with sucess, restore some corrupts files

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth sfc /scannow

reboot after it And, updated windows server to latest. Any one know what could be it?

Event Viewer:

event id 1000

Faulting application name: explorer.exe, version: 10.0.14393.3241, time stamp: 0x5d786ddf Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.14393.3085, time stamp: 0x5d1d7c66 Exception code: 0xc0000002 Fault offset: 0x0000000000034c48 Faulting process id: 0x19dc Faulting application start time: 0x01d57d1610d7cfa0 Faulting application path: C:\Windows\explorer.exe Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\KERNELBASE.dll Report Id: 495a3808-4fce-46f9-a5e8-421c7e2ac135 Faulting package full name: Faulting package-relative application ID:

WinDbg: shell\twinui\nowplayingsessionmanager\localprovider\desktopprovider\lib\desktoplocalprovider.cpp(58)\NPSMDesktopProvider.dll!00007FF9E4F45DE6: (caller: 00007FF9FD22CCE3) ReturnHr(4) tid(1af8) 80070005 Access is denied.

Monday, October 7, 2019 5:51 PM

All replies

• HI
    1 what's function of your problematical w2016 server ?(example it is Hyper-V server ,DC etc)
    2 Please check the symptom in a clean boot (refer to windows 10 steps) environment if it is possible.check if the problem also happen in clean boot mode .
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows
    3 if the problem persist ,can you boot your problematical w2016 to safe mode then run below command(open as admin),will the problem persist?
    sfc scannow
    dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

How to boot into Safe Mode in Windows Server 2016
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIxuajV59zg

Please Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 8, 2019 7:52 AM
  • Hi, greetings,

1 - RDS server 

2 - No startup at all. It's a clean one. It seems to me, after domain included, some kind of permission conflict is happening 

3 - I'm going to scan again, if it finds something corrupt again I write here. But, I did it 2 times after the first errror. 

Tuesday, October 8, 2019 1:13 PM
  • HI
    4 If there is no something corrupt after scanning ,we can check if firewall cause our issue .

Remote Desktop Server 2016, hundred Firewall Inbound Rules created automatically
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/2f4f52a0-8756-481e-b6e2-ec7ce6df4607/remote-desktop-server-2016-hundred-firewall-inbound-rules-created-automatically?forum=ws2016

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 10, 2019 8:19 AM
  • Firewall is off and windows is updated
    Thursday, October 10, 2019 12:32 PM
  • HI
    5 If you reun below command ,there still be the same files currupt on w2016?
    sfc scannow
    dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

6 do you have the other normal w2016 datacenter sever in your environment ?
    can you check if there is correct permission about 
    NPSMDesktopProvider.dll ?
    shell\twinui\nowplayingsessionmanager\localprovider\desktopprovider\lib\desktoplocalprovider.cpp(58)\NPSMDesktopProvider.dll

1) download and install process monitor v3.5 on problematical sever
    2) Open the process monitor, press “Ctrl+E” to “suspend” it, “Ctrl+X” to clear present process information.
    3) Press “Ctrl+E” to start the process monitor again.
    4) reproduce your issue like your first post(
    start > settings the explorer.exe blinks (crash loop)),  then Press “Ctrl+E” to “Suspend” it again then save the present log(Ctrl+S).  save all event as rds.pml
    5) open the rds.pml to check which registry key about
    NPSMDesktopProvider.dll to cause your issue.
    Process Monitor v3.52
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Sunday, October 13, 2019 8:20 AM
  • HI
    Is there any progress on your question?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Sunday, October 20, 2019 10:33 PM
  • Many thanks, I currently analyzing it. It took 1GB of data from a quick collect. I will try to onedrive it for you.
    Tuesday, October 22, 2019 11:50 AM
  • HI
    thanks for your reply. i hope we can find key thread.

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Friday, October 25, 2019 2:58 PM
  • HI
    Is there any progress on your question?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Friday, November 1, 2019 1:28 AM