none
DFS issue with XP SP3 RRS feed

• Question

• I have upgraded first machine to XP SP3.

When trying to get a dfs share on a Windows 2003 R2 Enterprise Domain Controller and Windows 2003 R2 Enterprise File Server.

If I go to a machine with SP2 I get there just fine.  If I update the machine to SP3 it immediately is unable to access one share.

I am able to access \xxx.xxx.com\data\personal but not \xxx.xxx.com\data\router  these are two DFS shares under the same root.  I know it only shows 1 \  but it is the way it shows up on display.  I know it is suppose to be \\ but just looks that is the microsoft displays in the DFS tab.    we are able to get directly to the server at \\server.xxx.com\dataops$ which is the true server share but not to \\xxx.xxx.com\data\router  

I get this 

Entry: \xxx.xxx.com\data\router
    ShortEntry: \xxx.xxx.com\data\router
    Expires in 0 seconds
    UseCount: 0 Type:0x10 ( OUTSIDE_MY_DOM )
       0:[\server.xxx.xxx.com\dataops$] State:0x121 ( )

When I look at the Referral list for this one share it shows it as not active either.  I can check status and it says okay.  But when I switch it back to active it imediately goes back to inactive.

Thanks,

John
    Wednesday, July 2, 2008 5:14 PM

Answers

• Hello John,

This seems to be similar issue that I had handled before.
    http://forums.technet.microsoft.com/en-US/winservergen/thread/9d90cf54-20b0-419c-85e3-ff42e01fc4b8

More information:

Windows XP SP3 set the type OUTSIDE_MY_DOM if either of below condition is true:

1. If the server name of any referral in the entry has the same name as any entry in the special table
    2. If below statement is true for the referral response:
    ((targetCount == 1) && (ReferralBuffer->StorageServers == 0) && (ReferralBuffer->ReferralServers == 1))

Windows XP SP2 set the type OUTSIDE_MY_DOM only if below condition is true:

1. If the server name of any referral in the entry has the same name as any entry in the special table

According to the symptom, the DFS link information seems to be corrupt so the second condition is met. I’d like to suggest taking the below action on the PDC:

1. delete the link \xxx.xxx.com\data\router;
    2. re-create the link xxx.xxx.com\data\router and set target;
    3. restart the DFS service on dst-dfstmp;
    4. Install Windows Server 2003 Support Tools on a client and run the following command to flush DFS cache:
    Dfsutil /pktflush
    Dfsutil /PurgeMupCache

5. Access the file share again.

If the problem still exists, please recreate the DFS root and DFS link to test this issue again.

Your potential. Our passion.
    • Marked as answer by David Shen Monday, July 14, 2008 7:32 AM
    Tuesday, July 8, 2008 10:42 AM