none
DNS FORWARDING is FAULTY RRS feed

• Question

• When I run nslookup to try to resolve an outside website it works.  But when I run DCDIAG /TEST:DNS I get failures on the DNS Servers used and I get a failure on the Forw spot in the summary table.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

George Jackson
    Net Admin

Thursday, January 16, 2020 9:41 PM

All replies

• I'd start by describing the problem you're trying to solve. At this point we've no idea.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, January 16, 2020 9:45 PM
  • The fact that you can run nslookup against the external DNS name does not necessarily imply that the AD DNS forwarding configuration is correct. 

Have you reviewed forwarding configuration on your DNS severs (presumably they are hosted on your domain controllers - correct)?

https://www.faqforge.com/windows-server-2012-r2/set-dns-forwarder-windows-server-2012-r2/

hth
    Marcin

Friday, January 17, 2020 12:45 AM
  • Hello,

Thank you for posting in our forum.

What specific problems did we encounter? Can you tell us more about your issue?

Hope the information can be helpful and if there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best regards,
    Cynthia

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 17, 2020 9:15 AM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Cynthia

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 21, 2020 9:21 AM
  • Sorry for the delayed response.  Thank you for all your replies. We have two DCs at our corporate office and two more - one at each of our remote sites. All were 2008r2 servers and I am trying to migrate them all to 2019. I've think I have successfully migrated the two remote DCs, but before I migrate the two at the corporate office I'm wanting to make doubly sure DNS is functioning correctly. One of the two DCs at the corp. office holds all the roles.

Yes, DNS is on all my DCs.

As for the forwarding configuration link provided - I think I've got it set correctly, though it has been brought to my attention that maybe it is incorrect.  To make sure you know where exactly I'm talking about - In DNS, I right click on any of my DCs and click property.  Then click the Forwarders tab.  I have two public DNS IP address.  The two at the corporate office both have the exact same public IPs set and then the two remote DCs have a different set of IPs, but they match each other.  Make sense?  I'm being told that I may should have one of my private DNS server IPs in this list.  Should I?

Thanks again for your replies and any further help you may provide.

George

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 3:51 PM
  • Forgot to mention - the two remote DC's - I created 2 new 2019 DC servers and then demoted the old ones.

As for the two DCs at the corporate office - I've created two new 2019 DC servers and they are apart of the domain but I have yet to transfer the roles to them and demote the old servers.

So technically I have 4 DCs at the corporate office and the two remote DCs.

George

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 3:57 PM
  • You could review here.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/identity/ad-ds/plan/reviewing-dns-concepts

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 4:22 PM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Cynthia

Friday, January 24, 2020 8:49 AM