Windows 10 PC did not restart after it set schedule from the GPO RRS feed

• Question

• I have 2 Windows 10 PC that did not install updates or restarted itself after GPO's schedule time. WSUS pushed out the updates and it was suppose to restart at 10 pm. All the other computers did just not the Windows 10. Not sure what GPO I'm missing that will fix this issue.

Thanks-

Monday, February 1, 2016 1:43 PM

Answers

• For anyone experiencing this issue can you email me at susan-at-msmvps.com (change the -at- to @) and I need to get some log files to pass along to Microsoft to get this better investigated.
    Friday, February 5, 2016 8:45 PM
  • Hi D_Welge,

For window 10, we may run cmdlet Get-WindowsUpdateLog in powershell. After you run this command, your ETL files will be decoded into a readable text log that is put on your desktop

How to read Windows Update logs in Windows 10:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3036646

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 3:25 AM

All replies

• I was seeing this as well, but seem to have made it more reliable by unchecking "install during automatic maintenence" in the GPO for Windows Updates.
    Monday, February 1, 2016 5:37 PM
  • What made this more strange is that it schedule itself for next Friday. I have it set for every Friday at 10 pm to install. It moved it to the next Friday, wondering what can make this update that not they are installed.
    Monday, February 1, 2016 9:58 PM
  • Hi D_Welge,

>All the other computers did just not the Windows 10.

Does "other computers" apply the same GPO with win10?

What is the detailed GPO you configured for win10, could you list them?

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 8:36 AM
  • Yes all the other computers restarted just fine just not the windows 10.

Policy Setting Comment

This setting lets you specify if automatic updates are enabled on this computer. If the service is enabled, you must select one of the four options in the Group Policy Setting:

2 = Notify before downloading any updates and notify again before installing them.

When Windows finds updates that apply to this computer, an icon appears in the status area with a message that updates are ready to be downloaded. Clicking the icon or message provides the option to select the specific updates to download. Windows then downloads the selected updates in the background. When the download is complete, the icon appears in the status area again, with notification that the updates are ready to be installed. Clicking the icon or message provides the option to select which updates to install.

3 = (Default setting) Download the updates automatically and notify when they are ready to be installed

Windows finds updates that apply to your computer and downloads these updates in the background (the user is not notified or interrupted during this process). When the download is complete, the icon appears in the status area, with notification that the updates are ready to be installed. Clicking the icon or message provides the option to select which updates to install.

4 = Automatically download updates and install them on the schedule specified below

Specify the schedule using the options in the Group Policy Setting. If no schedule is specified, the default schedule for all installations will be everyday at 3:00 AM. If any of the updates require a restart to complete the installation, Windows will restart the computer automatically. (If a user is logged on to the computer when Windows is ready to restart, the user will be notified and given the option to delay the restart.)

5 = Allow local administrators to select the configuration mode that Automatic Updates should notify and install updates

With this option, the local administrators will be allowed to use the Automatic Updates control panel to select a configuration option of their choice. For example they can choose their own scheduled installation time. Local administrators will not be allowed to disable Automatic Updates' configuration.

To use this setting, click Enabled, and then select one of the options (2, 3, 4 or 5). If you select 4, you can set a recurring schedule (if no schedule is specified, all installations will occur everyday at 3:00 AM).

If the status is set to Enabled, Windows recognizes when this computer is online and uses its Internet connection to search Windows Update for updates that apply to this computer.

If the status is set to Disabled, any updates that are available on Windows Update must be downloaded and installed manually. To do this, go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com or click Start, click Programs (or click All Programs), and then click Windows Update.

If the status is set to Not Configured, use of Automatic Updates is not specified at the Group Policy level. However, an administrator can still configure Automatic Updates through Control Panel." gpmc_settingname="Configure Automatic Updates" gpmc_settingpath="Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Update" gpmc_supported="At least Windows 2000 Service Pack 3 or Windows XP Professional Service Pack 1" tabindex="0">Configure Automatic Updates
    Enabled
    Configure automatic updating: 4 - Auto download and schedule the install
    The following settings are only required
    and applicable if 4 is selected.
    Scheduled install day: 6 - Every Friday
    Scheduled install time: 22:00
    Policy Setting Comment
    Wait the following period before
    proceeding with a scheduled
    restart (minutes): 5
    Policy Setting Comment

If you enable this policy setting, 'Install Updates and Shut Down' will not appear as a choice in the Shut Down Windows dialog box, even if updates are available for installation when the user selects the Shut Down option in the Start menu.

If you disable or do not configure this policy setting, the 'Install Updates and Shut Down' option will be available in the Shut Down Windows dialog box if updates are available when the user selects the Shut Down option in the Start menu." gpmc_settingname="Do not display 'Install Updates and Shut Down' option in Shut Down Windows dialog box" gpmc_settingpath="Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Update" gpmc_supported="At least Windows XP Professional with SP2" tabindex="0">Do not display 'Install Updates and Shut Down' option in Shut Down Windows dialog box
    Disabled
    Target group name for this computer Computer Test OU
    Policy Setting Comment

If the status is set to Enabled, Automatic Updates will not restart a computer automatically during a scheduled installation if a user is logged in to the computer. Instead, Automatic Updates will notify the user to restart the computer.

Be aware that the computer needs to be restarted for the updates to take effect.

If the status is set to Disabled or Not Configured, Automatic Updates will notify the user that the computer will automatically restart in 5 minutes to complete the installation.

Note: This policy applies only when Automatic Updates is configured to perform scheduled installations of updates. If the "Configure Automatic Updates" policy is disabled, this policy has no effect." gpmc_settingname="No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates installations" gpmc_settingpath="Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Update" gpmc_supported="At least Windows 2000 Service Pack 3 or Windows XP Professional Service Pack 1" tabindex="0">No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates installations
    Disabled
    Wait the following period before
    prompting again with a scheduled
    restart (minutes): 10
    Policy Setting Comment
    Wait after system
    startup (minutes): 10
    Policy Setting Comment
    Set the intranet update service for detecting updates: http://wsus.corp.butlersupply.com:8530
    Set the intranet statistics server: http://wsus.corp.butlersupply.com:8530
    (example: http://IntranetUpd01)
    Policy Setting Comment
    <span gpmc_settingdescription="Specifies whether Automatic Updates will deliver both important as well as recommended updates from the Windows Update update service.

When this policy is enabled, Automatic Updates will install recommended updates as well as important updates from Windows Update update service.

When disabled or not configured Automatic Updates will continue to deliver important updates if it is already configured to do so." gpmc_settingname="Turn on recommended updates via Automatic Updates" gpmc_settingpath="Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Update" gpmc_supported="At least Windows Vista" tabindex="0">Turn on recommended updates via Automatic Updates
    Disabled

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 1:18 PM
  • I am also experiencing this behavior as well.  My Windows 10 clients will download and install updates from my WSUS server, then proceed to schedule a restart set via GPO (11:00pm every Sunday), but they will not restart at that time and will instead reschedule the restart for the following Sunday at 11:00pm.  I have been searching all over for a solution to this but I can't seem to find one unfortunately.  All of my Windows 7 clients work flawlessly with this; it's only Windows 10 that has the issue. 
    Tuesday, February 2, 2016 11:51 PM
  • For anyone experiencing this issue can you email me at susan-at-msmvps.com (change the -at- to @) and I need to get some log files to pass along to Microsoft to get this better investigated.
    Friday, February 5, 2016 8:45 PM

Hello Susan, I just wanted to pass along another technet thread from a user that seems to be experiencing the same restarting issue I am seeing.  Very similar issues.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/3703028a-4984-4938-9530-5de603ed59b2/windows-10-pro-wsus-install-updates-on-shutdown?forum=winserverwsus

Thanks again. 

• Edited by Jas D Friday, February 12, 2016 3:47 PM
    Friday, February 12, 2016 3:45 PM
  • Where can you find the log files you are looking for?
    Monday, February 15, 2016 5:23 PM
  • Hi D_Welge,

For window 10, we may run cmdlet Get-WindowsUpdateLog in powershell. After you run this command, your ETL files will be decoded into a readable text log that is put on your desktop

How to read Windows Update logs in Windows 10:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3036646

Best Regards,

Anne

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 3:25 AM
  • Hello,

Just wanted to let you know I got the same problem, i have a intel compute stick and the GPO does apply (registry was modified by the gpo for the update settings so I know the GPO is being applied, did check with gpresult /r too).

Any news on a fix for this? 

Wednesday, April 6, 2016 7:16 AM
  • I just started to migrate to W10.

Clients do see and list the updates approved on WSUS but don't take any action.

Is there some GPO setting I need to change?
    This worked perfectly for years now with W7.

Thanks
    McL

Wednesday, May 4, 2016 12:57 PM
  • Is there still no resolution for this? My Win10 clients need to be rebooted manually as well, very frustrating.
    Thursday, August 11, 2016 1:26 PM
  • Same issue here.

I've tested against Win10 ver 1511 and 1607.  After a scheduled patch installation occurs, the o/s schedules it's own reboot when the installed patch requires a reboot.

Ver 1511 > Update and Security messaging indicates:
    We'll schedule a restart during a time you usually don't use your device (right now 5pm today looks good)
    Note:  No notification occurs in the notification area concerning reboot.
    Note:  If I choose to manually reschedule the reboot in the Update and Security UI, the reboot still doesn't occur.

Ver 1607 > Update and Security messaging indicates:

Your device is scheduled to restart outside of active hours. (Active hours are...)

Note:  I do receive notification in the notification area concerning reboot.
    Note:  If I choose to manually reschedule the reboot in the Update and Security UI, the reboot still does occur.

In each version of Win10, it appears that a Reboot task (MusNotification.exe RebootDialog) is created in Task Scheduler > UpdateOchestrator.
    The task always executes successfully, but reboot does not occur logged on User or otherwise.  The task is automatically rescheduled, but reboot never occurs.

I see nothing in the WindowsUpdate log when the system reboot is supposed to occur.

Regards

• Edited by ShawnQA Friday, August 26, 2016 12:35 PM
    Friday, August 26, 2016 12:33 PM
  • Is there still no resolution to this?  Manually rebooting Win10 clients is not an option to finish installing updates.  
    Friday, October 14, 2016 2:23 PM
  • What exactly are you guys putting in group policy settings please?

1607 has active hours that needs to be defined in group policy.

Friday, October 14, 2016 4:34 PM
  • I have a pending patch reboot on a system with GP that defines scheduled installs.  I have manually set my active hrs for testing purposes to 8-9am from the Windows Update UI on my test system.

On my test device, Windows Update Status indicates:

Your device is scheduled to restart outside of active hours. (Active hours are ‏‎8:00 AM to ‏‎9:00 AM.)

I see via task scheduler > > UpdateOchestrator a reboot task has executed, but the system did NOT reboot when no User was logged on.

On my test system, the following Group Policy is NOT configured:

Turn off auto-restart for updates during active hrs.

In looking at the help for this setting, messaging indicates that the User selected active hours will be in effect if the setting is not configured.

Also, on my test system, I have group policy applied that also covers Windows 7

No auto restart for logged on User for scheduled au installations = disabled

Always automatically restart at the scheduled time = disabled
    (If you disable or do not configure this policy, Windows Update will not alter its restart behavior)

Delay Restart for scheduled installation = enabled
    (Note > GPO setting not supported on Windows 10, so should have no effect)

Re-prompt for restart with scheduled installations = enabled
    (Note > GPO setting not supported on Windows 10, so should have no effect)

If I recall correctly, I have already disable the last two policy settings listed above...the system still did not reboot.

Thanks,

Shawn Saunders

• Edited by ShawnQA Friday, November 4, 2016 1:01 PM
    Friday, November 4, 2016 12:56 PM
  • Is anybody else still having this problem.. I get to the part where it says a scheduled restart will occur and then it doesn't restart when it said it was going to.
    Wednesday, February 1, 2017 7:16 PM
  • I have a couple of computers on Windows 10 and I am having the same issue. I can reboot the computers with a batch file and scheduled task but that should not be necessary. I am wondering if this is a PRO versus Enterprise thing. I have seen where Microsoft has took away some functionality of group policy unless you are paying for Enterprise edition.
    Wednesday, October 11, 2017 5:53 PM
  • No it's just a Microsoft thing whereby IMHO there is a bug that something is keeping the 10 machine active and the group policy to kick a reboot isn't.  It's a sign that the feedback process still needs work.
    Wednesday, October 11, 2017 5:56 PM
  • I am having this same exact issue on my win10 Pro 1709 machines connected to WSUS.

Installed update on 10/31. Windows said it was going to reboot outside of active hours (Active hours - 8-5pm).

I came in this AM (11/1) and the machine never rebooted.

I also have the following notification on my screen.

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 12:41 PM
  • I have the same issue on 1709. 

The update is installed as per the policy's scheduled install time but no reboot happens.

The Update Orchestrator runs the Reboot task successfully but no reboot takes place.

Friday, November 10, 2017 12:15 PM
  • I have left my machine up for over a week and no auto reboot even though it shows it will reboot outside of active hours. This goes for many machines, so it is not just a issue with one machine.
    Monday, November 13, 2017 6:53 PM
  • What is everyone's exact group policy settings please?
    Monday, November 13, 2017 8:41 PM
  • What is everyone's exact group policy settings please?

From another thread: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/72013365-1adf-439d-a17d-3f56f1e8f8e5/win10-and-wsus?forum=winserverwsus

Post a screenshot of your GPOs and/or the result page from gpresult /h gpo.htm

Something is conflicting. Mine works as advertised - Install every day at 4pm and reboot outside of active hours if needed. Mind you if they are still logged in it forces the reboot outside of active hours, which is what I want as people keep failing to sign out or reboot every day.

Adam Marshall, MCSE: Security
    http://www.adamj.org

AdamJ,

Can you please provide me with a screenshot of your computer's AU reg keys?

Also GPO?

Key Name:          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate
    Class Name:        <NO CLASS>
    Last Write Time:   2017-10-17 - 9:00 AM
    Value 0
      Name:            WUServer
      Type:            REG_SZ
      Data:            https://server.domain.local:8531

Value 1
      Name:            WUStatusServer

Value 2
      Name:            UpdateServiceUrlAlternate

Value 3
      Name:            TargetGroupEnabled
      Type:            REG_DWORD
      Data:            0x1

Value 4
      Name:            TargetGroup
      Data:            Workstations; Test - Workstations

Value 5
      Name:            SetActiveHours

Value 6
      Name:            ActiveHoursStart
      Data:            0x8

Value 7
      Name:            ActiveHoursEnd
      Data:            0x12

Value 8
      Name:            SetAutoRestartDeadline

Value 9
      Name:            AutoRestartDeadlinePeriodInDays
      Data:            0x7

Value 10
      Name:            SetAutoRestartNotificationConfig

Value 11
      Name:            AutoRestartNotificationSchedule
      Data:            0x3c

Key Name:          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU
    Class Name:        <NO CLASS>
    Last Write Time:   2017-10-17 - 9:00 AM
    Value 0
      Name:            UseWUServer

Value 1
      Name:            DetectionFrequencyEnabled

Value 2
      Name:            DetectionFrequency
      Data:            0x14

Value 3
      Name:            NoAutoUpdate
      Data:            0

Value 4
      Name:            AUOptions
      Data:            0x4

Value 5
      Name:            AutomaticMaintenanceEnabled

Value 6
      Name:            ScheduledInstallDay

Value 7
      Name:            ScheduledInstallTime
      Data:            0x10

Value 8
      Name:            NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers

There's the Registry info.

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 5:10 AM
  • I am using the following registry keys.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]
    "AUOptions"=dword:00000004
    "DetectionFrequency"=dword:00000004
    "DetectionFrequencyEnabled"=dword:00000001
    "NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers"=dword:00000001
    "NoAutoUpdate"=dword:00000000
    "RebootRelaunchTimeout"=dword:000000f0
    "RebootRelaunchTimeoutEnabled"=dword:00000001
    "RescheduleWaitTime"=dword:00000014
    "RescheduleWaitTimeEnabled"=dword:00000001
    "ScheduledInstallDay"=dword:00000000
    "ScheduledInstallTime"=dword:0000000b
    "UseWuserver"=dword:00000001
    "AutoInstallMinorUpdates"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX\Settings]
    "ActiveHoursEnd"=dword:00000011
    "ActiveHoursStart"=dword:00000008
    "BranchReadinessLevel"=dword:00000010
    "DeferFeatureUpdatesPeriodInDays"=dword:00000000
    "DeferQualityUpdatesPeriodInDays"=dword:00000000
    "ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate"=dword:00000000
    "FlightCommitted"=dword:00000000
    "RestartNotificationsAllowed"=dword:00000001
    "LastToastAction"=dword:0000007c
    "UxOption"=dword:00000000
    "InsiderProgramEnabled"=dword:00000000

Please assist if possible.

• Edited by vs2017sv Tuesday, November 14, 2017 12:48 PM
    Tuesday, November 14, 2017 12:41 PM
  • [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]

Your problem is that one. Should be 0.

Value 5

Should be set. You're missing it.

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 1:48 PM
  • [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]

Your problem is that one. Should be 0.

Value 5

Should be set. You're missing it.

So If I change that reg key, the machines will reboot rather a user is logged in or not.

Overall, the problem comes in when your looking at win7 vs win10.

If you have deadlines set in WSUS for win7, you get several warnings indicating that machines needs a reboot.

With Win10, if you have deadlines, the machines just go down whenever the security update gets applied - with no warning.

I am having a difficult time finding the perfect solution to manage each OS without GPO/Domain.

Basically I am looking to have the machines all install updates asap (automatically approved) and a deadline of 7 days. If the machine does not get rebooted by the user, then after the 7 days the deadline applies and forces the reboot.

• Edited by vs2017sv Tuesday, November 14, 2017 3:46 PM
    Tuesday, November 14, 2017 3:23 PM
  • yes, that reg key will force a reboot, outside of active hours. Deadlines 'seem' to have changed in the processing thoughts of Windows 10. I only started trying out Deadlines when I hit Windows 10, and they never worked for me from the initial RTM release of Windows 10. I'm guessing they have a different systematic way of looking at what a deadline is from Windows 7 because so many people were using them and many are complaining of deadlines in Windows 10 rebooting at the install time.

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 1:29 AM
  • The deadline only worked for me after about 1703 and 1709.  RTM it didn't work IMHO/in my memory.
    Wednesday, November 15, 2017 6:37 AM