Problem Centos 6.6 and 7.1 with Dynamic Memory RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have few ~200-500 GB virtual machines configured with dynamic memory and after I upgraded from LIS 3.1 to LIS 4.0 memory demands for virtual machines skyrocketed. For example below I'll have two machines with Centos 6 and 7. First is with 200 GB of RAM and other one is with 570 GB of RAM. Both are idle. Centos 6 is with LIS3.1 and Cento 7 with LIS4.0

PS X:\> Get-SCVirtualMachine -VMMServer scvmm-server -Name "vm-with200gb" | findstr DynamicMemoryDemand
    DynamicMemoryDemandMB               : 12220

PS X:\> Get-SCVirtualMachine -VMMServer scvmm-server -Name "vm-with570gb" | findstr DynamicMemoryDemand
    DynamicMemoryDemandMB               : 432335

Yes, I know that this is not a good example because of the version differences but there is same pattern with every machine. After I upgrade to 4.0 LIS dynamic memory demands go crazy.

-Juha

Monday, June 15, 2015 7:27 AM

All replies

• Hi Juha,

In LIS 4.0, there are changes to how guest memory demand is calculated and reported to the host. With these changes, you may see that the memory demand will be reported as higher than before. The actual memory being used by the guest should remain the same as before.

How much of an increase are you seeing compared to LIS 3.1? Are you seeing any side-effects other than the increased demand number?

Hope this helps,
    - Alex

Wednesday, July 8, 2015 1:07 AM