none
Cannot open the "Network and Sharing center" on Windows Server 2008 Standard SP1

Question

• Hi All, I am new guy here ^-^ First, thanks in advance:-)

I got the same problems on my Windows Server 2008 Standard twice.

Problem:

I couldn't logon my Windows Server 2008 remotely, then I logon by local. I found the network icon on the right side, which had a red cross, then, I tried to open the "Network and Sharing Center' to look into it. But, it doesn't response anymore.  Then, I open the Service, I found that the "Netwrok Connectrion" service is stopped. I tried to started it manually, but it didn't work. The error# 1053 came.

It happened once after I installed the OS about half year, then I reinstalled the OS; and once when I just reinstalled the OS this afternoon after I installed a RAID 1.

btw, It works after the OS was just installed.

My Server 2008 Softeware:

Installed the AD, and DNS server ( The IP is assigned by manually), Norton 360 V4.

I really appericiated your help. I really hate to reinstall ths OS again....

• Moved by Wilson Jia Tuesday, June 29, 2010 5:56 AM Consolidation (From:Windows Server 2008 R2 Networking)
    Sunday, June 13, 2010 9:04 AM

Answers

• Hi Sgreature,

Thank you for posting in Windows Server Forum.

According to your description, I understand that you got an remote logon issue on a Windows 2008 Server.

To resovle this issue, you may check the following items:

1. Is this server's NIC driver installed properly? Is there any NIC driver update available you can download from the Manufactory?

2. Can you ping this server's IP address from other computer? If yes, can you telnet serverIP 3389 from other computer successfully?

If it fails, you may need to check whether the remote desktop has been enabled on this server. Meanwhile, please also check the port 3389 is opened on Windows Firewall for all network profiles.

3. Run the "SFC /SCANNOW" to check the server system integrity.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Regards,

Wilson Jia

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please click "Mark as Answer" when you get the correct reply to your question.

• Marked as answer by Wilson Jia Thursday, July 08, 2010 7:01 AM
    Friday, June 18, 2010 9:27 AM

All replies

• BTW, I used the IPCONFIG to check the IP settings. The IP is setted. But, I can't logon remotely and browse any website. The IP address can be pinged.
    Sunday, June 13, 2010 9:08 AM
  • Hi Sgreature,

Thank you for posting in Windows Server Forum.

According to your description, I understand that you got an remote logon issue on a Windows 2008 Server.

To resovle this issue, you may check the following items:

1. Is this server's NIC driver installed properly? Is there any NIC driver update available you can download from the Manufactory?

2. Can you ping this server's IP address from other computer? If yes, can you telnet serverIP 3389 from other computer successfully?

If it fails, you may need to check whether the remote desktop has been enabled on this server. Meanwhile, please also check the port 3389 is opened on Windows Firewall for all network profiles.

3. Run the "SFC /SCANNOW" to check the server system integrity.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Regards,

Wilson Jia

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please click "Mark as Answer" when you get the correct reply to your question.

• Marked as answer by Wilson Jia Thursday, July 08, 2010 7:01 AM
    Friday, June 18, 2010 9:27 AM
  • Hi,

On July 1st we will be making Windows Server 2008 R2 Networking forum read only. After receiving a lot of feedback from the community, it was decided that this forum is a duplication and therefore redundant of the Network Infrastructure Servers Forum. So, until July 1st, we will start asking customers to redirect their questions to the Network Infrastructure Servers Forum. On June 11th, CSS engineers will move any new threads to the Network Infrastructure Servers Forum.

Please post a reply to the announcement thread if you have any feedback on this decision or the process. You can also email WSSDComm@microsoft.com.

Regards,

Wilson Jia

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 5:55 AM