none
RDP session random disconnect

Question

• I have Event ID 1026, RDP ClientActiveX has been disconnected (Reason = n) appearing in the client-side log for my RDP sessions to a Server 2008 R2. I have various values of reason code n

• From the server log multiple Windows 7 clients disconnect at exactly the same time
    • My Windows Server 2012 RC client, using the same RDP parameters, LAN network, etc. does not disconnect
    • I have read article 2477176. However, it appears to discuss failure to initially establish a session, rather than random termination of existing sessions
    • It is not a timeout issue, nor does it appear to be a keep-alive issue
    • The sessions are all set to auto reconnect and do in fact reconnect on line failure

So, it appears the client is detecting a "disconnect sequence" rather than a comms failure. in order to debug further, where could I get a list of the reason codes and their meaning?

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 7:00 PM

Answers

• Hi,

1. I recommend you update the server NIC drivers and NIC firmware to the latest version recommended by your server manufacturer.  For example, for a Dell server you would download the latest System Update Utility (SUU), burn it to double-layer DVD, and then run it on your server to apply firmware/driver updates/etc.

2. If updating the server NIC firmware/drivers does not solve the issue I recommend you disable TCP offload (and potentialy other advanced) features on your network adapter and see if the issue is resolved.  Please see this article for more information:

Information about the TCP Chimney Offload, Receive Side Scaling, and Network Direct Memory Access features in Windows Server 2008

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951037

3. After completing the above, please see if updating the NIC driver on a test client PC solves the issue for that PC.  If yes then update all of the PCs that have experienced the problem.

4. You may want to consider updating firmware/troubleshooting any switches/routers/load balancers/etc. that may be between the majority of your client PCs and the server.

Thanks.

-TP

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 7:54 PM