RDP session random disconnect

• I have Event ID 1026, RDP ClientActiveX has been disconnected (Reason = n) appearing in the client-side log for my RDP sessions to a Server 2008 R2. I have various values of reason code n

• From the server log multiple Windows 7 clients disconnect at exactly the same time
    • My Windows Server 2012 RC client, using the same RDP parameters, LAN network, etc. does not disconnect
    • I have read article 2477176. However, it appears to discuss failure to initially establish a session, rather than random termination of existing sessions
    • It is not a timeout issue, nor does it appear to be a keep-alive issue
    • The sessions are all set to auto reconnect and do in fact reconnect on line failure

So, it appears the client is detecting a "disconnect sequence" rather than a comms failure. in order to debug further, where could I get a list of the reason codes and their meaning?

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 7:00 PM

• Hi,

1. I recommend you update the server NIC drivers and NIC firmware to the latest version recommended by your server manufacturer.  For example, for a Dell server you would download the latest System Update Utility (SUU), burn it to double-layer DVD, and then run it on your server to apply firmware/driver updates/etc.

2. If updating the server NIC firmware/drivers does not solve the issue I recommend you disable TCP offload (and potentialy other advanced) features on your network adapter and see if the issue is resolved.  Please see this article for more information:

Information about the TCP Chimney Offload, Receive Side Scaling, and Network Direct Memory Access features in Windows Server 2008

3. After completing the above, please see if updating the NIC driver on a test client PC solves the issue for that PC.  If yes then update all of the PCs that have experienced the problem.

4. You may want to consider updating firmware/troubleshooting any switches/routers/load balancers/etc. that may be between the majority of your client PCs and the server.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 7:54 PM