none
Create GPO to deploy shortcut in desktop folder RRS feed

• Question

• Hello GPO guru,

I like to know how to create GPO to publish shortcut in a folder on user desktop.

For example, I have a folder on my desktop called "NetworkApp" I want to create a GPO to deploy a "Helpdesk" URL inside the 

"NetworkApp" folder.

Thanks for your help.

Thursday, December 5, 2019 7:40 PM

All replies

1. On your domain controller, open up Group Policy
    2. Create a new GP (best practice is to always have separate GPOs for each item rather than 1 GPO that has multiple setting because its easier to turn off a failing GPO)
    3. Create a Test OU in Active Directory
    4. Make a Test User in Active Directory
    5. Make sure that your test user is within that Test OU (or it will not apply)
    6. Right-click on your GPO and select edit
    7. Expand User “Configuration”, “Preferences”, and “Windows Settings”
    8. Select “Shortcuts”
    9. Right-click in the empty space and select “New” and “Shortcut”
    10. For “Action” select “Replace” (so that if you want to delete it later it will remove it from everyone’s desktop)
    11. In the “Name” Field put an appropriate display name for the Web Application shortcut
    12. For “Target type” select “File System Object”
    13. For “Location” select “Desktop”
    14. In the “Target Path” text box put C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe or use the browse button to navigate to the location of Internet Explorer (you don’t need quotes for any of these fields)
    15. In the “Arguments” text box put the URL that you need to open with Internet Explorer
    16. If you want a dedicated Icon for the shortcut, in the “Icon file path” type the file path of the icon or use the browse button to navigate to the location of the icon (make sure the users have rights to that folder/icon)
    17. Click on the Common tab and check “remove this item when it is no longer needed”)
    18. Click OK and Close all open windows
    19. Now go to a computer and login as your test user and you should see the Shortcut with the icon and correct URL

This also helpful,

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/0c9d0f3b-bf73-4354-a609-d454ef8aab9b/how-to-create-website-shortcut-on-client-computer-in-gpo?forum=winserverGP

Thursday, December 5, 2019 8:29 PM
  • Hi Brichardi,

Thank you for posting in our forum.

I agree with Udara Kaushalya's point of view, in order to facilitate your operation, I add some pictures to facilitate your operation:

1.In Group Policy Management, create a new group policy object (GPO) in the “Group Policy Objects” folder.
    2.Right click this newly created GPO and select “Edit…”.
    3.Navigate to “User Configuration => Preferences => Windows Settings => Desktop”
    4.Right click the “Desktop” object and select “New => Shortcut”

5.Now set all the configuration details of your application shortcut in the next dialog box.

Note: Please be aware of the “Target type” setting. If the shortcut has to be an application shortcut, you have to choose “File System Object”. As default it’s set to “URL” and thus creates only a shortcut for a website. Therefore if your user wants to open this shortcut, Internet Explorer (or the default browser) opens with a “cannot display this website” message instead of the application.

6.On the “Common” tab check if this group policy preference should run in logged-on user’s security context or not.

Note: If you set the „Location“ to „Desktop“ then you should make sure on the „Common“ tab the check box „run in logged-on user’s security context“ is set, because the shortcut will be published on the users own desktop. If you whish to deploy a shortcut to the „All Users“ profile then you have to set the target to „All Users Desktop“ and also uncheck the box to run this group policy preference in logged-on user’s security context. Usually a normal user doesn’t have access to all users profile, but the system account, which runs this group policy preference, has access to it.

7.Now click Apply / OK and close this dialog box.
    As the last step, back in GPO Management, link the created GPO with the Organizational Unit in which your users reside.

Now your users have only to restart the computer or do a single log-off log-on. So they will receive the newly created desktop shortcut.

Hope this information can help you

Best wishes

Vicky

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 6, 2019 3:00 AM
  • Thank you replying to my question.  Unfortunately your answer did not address my question.   I know how to use GPO to deploy web application shortcut to  the desktop.

our users have  lots of web application shortcuts on their desktop, and the desktop looks really cluttered.  I want to clean up their desktop by putting those web application shortcuts into a folder "Web application".  on their desktop.

Thansk

Friday, December 6, 2019 3:30 PM
  • Hi Brichardi,

thank you very much for your patience

After my test, the other steps do not need to be changed, just need to make the following changes in the fifth

step

Change the path in name to the path you want to save

The shortcut will automatically appear in the shortcut folder

Hope this information can help you

Best wishes
    Vicky

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 9, 2019 9:58 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Vicky

Wednesday, December 11, 2019 6:28 AM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

Vicky

Friday, December 13, 2019 2:10 AM