none
Blank Screen after Logon RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have a Windows 2008 Server R2 and it is running. When I logon to the Server Host itself, it brings a blank screen. When I try to do a RDP on the Host it brings the same blank screen. But when I try a RDP to its virtual it logins correctly. And on logging in via the RDP from the virtual it brings the same blank screen.

Please Help me out guys asap

Thursday, December 20, 2012 9:38 AM

Answers

• I have tried rebooting but nothing comes up

And when booting on safe mode it works but what could have caused the problem?

We can suspect problem with display driver so, install latest display adapter drivers on your server.

Generally in safe mode, server run with minimum resources most of the drivers won't utilized by server.

Regards, Ravikumar P

• Marked as answer by Ngeshlew Thursday, December 20, 2012 1:20 PM
    Thursday, December 20, 2012 11:28 AM
  • After rebooting the server , at blank screen type Ctrl+Alt+Del and select task manager.

In task manager -- File --- New Task --- in Opend Window --- Type Explorer.exe

Or

In task manager Kill the Process "Explorer.exe" and Explorer.exe again.

Hope it could resolve you issue ....

• Marked as answer by Ngeshlew Thursday, December 20, 2012 1:21 PM
    Thursday, December 20, 2012 1:10 PM

All replies

• What happens if you start task manager and run a new task Explorer?

Does the desktop then appear as normal?  Also, can you try rebooting the server and logging into Safemode?

Kind regards, Kev

• Proposed as answer by Kev G Cole Thursday, December 20, 2012 1:46 PM
    Thursday, December 20, 2012 10:37 AM
  • Hi, I have a Windows 2008 Server R2 and it is running. When I logon to the Server Host itself, it brings a blank screen. When I try to do a RDP on the Host it brings the same blank screen. But when I try a RDP to its virtual it logins correctly. And on logging in via the RDP from the virtual it brings the same blank screen.

Please Help me out guys asap

Is this issue are you facing in virtual environment like VMware? If so, uninstall Vmware tools and check for the difference.

Regards, Ravikumar P

Thursday, December 20, 2012 10:42 AM

• Edited by Ngeshlew Thursday, December 20, 2012 11:11 AM
    Thursday, December 20, 2012 11:10 AM
  • I have not installed any third party software, I am just using RDP
    Thursday, December 20, 2012 11:10 AM

We can suspect problem with display driver so, install latest display adapter drivers on your server.

Generally in safe mode, server run with minimum resources most of the drivers won't utilized by server.

Regards, Ravikumar P

• Marked as answer by Ngeshlew Thursday, December 20, 2012 1:20 PM
    Thursday, December 20, 2012 11:28 AM
  • After rebooting the server , at blank screen type Ctrl+Alt+Del and select task manager.

In task manager -- File --- New Task --- in Opend Window --- Type Explorer.exe

Or

In task manager Kill the Process "Explorer.exe" and Explorer.exe again.

Hope it could resolve you issue ....

• Marked as answer by Ngeshlew Thursday, December 20, 2012 1:21 PM
    Thursday, December 20, 2012 1:10 PM
  • Thank you guys, it worked out well. Cheers!!
    Thursday, December 20, 2012 1:21 PM