none
Failed Server Backup - D:\$Extend\$RmMetadata\$TxfLog\$TxfLog.blf RRS feed

• Question

• I have seen this previously in WHS2011 and have never seen a resolution. This is now occurring on WS2012E Beta:

Error in backup of D:\$Extend\$RmMetadata\$TxfLog\ during write: Error [0x80070005] Access is denied.
    Error in backup of D:\$Extend\$RmMetadata\$TxfLog\$TxfLog.blf during write: Error [0x80070005] Access is denied.

On WHS 2011 I only ever saw this when using a USB 3.0 external drive (no problems with eSATA). Now on WS2012E it happens every few days - the backup appears to complete correctly with the exception of these two files.

Any ideas?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 11:37 AM

Answers

• Hi, All,

We got this error reported and investigated. The issue will only happen if you backup a NTFS drive with file level backup (for example, some files are excluded so we cannot do block level backup). $RmMetaData is NTFS internal meta data which cannot be accessed by other process.

The workaround is either backup the whole volume (turn it into block level backup), or exclude the $RmMetaData from being backed up by:

1.       Go to

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToBackup

2.       Adding a Multi-String Value named IgnoreNTFS with data \$Extend\* /s under FilesNotToBackup.

3.       Restart the server.

A KB is published: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/11872.server-backup-known-issues-and-resolutions-en-us.aspx and we have let Server Backup and NTFS folks know this issue, so that they could consider exclude these to be backed up by default.

Please try the workaround and let us know if this fixes the issue. Thanks!

Yang

• Edited by YangCao Thursday, August 23, 2012 6:57 AM
    • Proposed as answer by YangCao Thursday, August 23, 2012 6:57 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by YangCao Thursday, August 23, 2012 6:57 AM
    • Proposed as answer by YangCao Thursday, August 30, 2012 3:02 AM
    • Marked as answer by Phil Harrison Tuesday, September 4, 2012 4:16 PM
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 6:56 AM

All replies

• How big are your volumes on the Server?

Is the drive that you're backing up to, completely devoted to the backup?

Cris Hanna, Microsoft SBS MVP, Owner-CPU Services, Belleville, IL

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 3:36 PM
  • Server volumes are small, a few hundred gigabytes which are not changing - this is just a test server and I have not got around to doing much with it yet so it just sits there with one client backing up to it and a fixed data set.

Yes, it's a 2TB external USB 3.0 drive devoted entirely to Server backups.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 3:50 PM
  • Does the server itself have a USB 3.0 port?

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 4:01 PM
  • Yes it has a USB 3.0 Port (Renesas USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller using Microsoft Drivers 6.2.8400.0 dated 5/18/2012).

Clarification to the above regarding Volumes. It's a thin provisioned Storage Space 1696.9GB (using a 500GB Drive and a 1TB drive). 399Gb is used but I am only backing up 28GB.

I don't think any of the above is relevant as I saw exactly this problem on WHS 2011 on different hardware (although the backup drive is common). The backup last night gave the above message but today's automatic run completed without any errors!

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 4:20 PM
  • If this was happening in WHS 2011 as well, I would encourage you to file a bug report on Connect

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 5:07 PM
  • I believe it was for WHS 2011 without resolution but no problem raising it again for WS2012E - I will give it a few more days before doing so.

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 5:11 PM
  • I believe it was for WHS 2011 without resolution but no problem raising it again for WS2012E - I will give it a few more days before doing so.

Phil,

You might want to try it on the just-released Server 2012 Essentials Release Candidate.  You can download it from here.  (Also, there is a blog post about the RC and can be viewed here.)  I'm downloading it as we speak.  (I found a couple bugs on the beta version and was about to submit.  I guess I'll have to wait a bit now.  :)  )

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 5:18 PM
  • kariya21

Thanks - I had not realised the RC was available today - I will do some more testing on that version. Incidentally, the RC FAQ still states "Windows Home Server 2011 will remain available as an OEM embedded product until December 31, 2025," - did you ever manage to get any resolution on that as I am sure it's wrong.

Phil

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 5:30 PM
  • That stuff typically never gets cleaned up until RTM...we've asked in private channels with no real feedback

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 5:35 PM
  • kariya21

Thanks - I had not realised the RC was available today - I will do some more testing on that version. Incidentally, the RC FAQ still states "Windows Home Server 2011 will remain available as an OEM embedded product until December 31, 2025," - did you ever manage to get any resolution on that as I am sure it's wrong.

Phil

No.  I asked the question, but never got a response (and, to be honest, I forgot to follow up).  Thanks for reminding me though!  I'll ask again.
    Tuesday, August 21, 2012 5:36 PM
  • Hi, All,

We got this error reported and investigated. The issue will only happen if you backup a NTFS drive with file level backup (for example, some files are excluded so we cannot do block level backup). $RmMetaData is NTFS internal meta data which cannot be accessed by other process.

The workaround is either backup the whole volume (turn it into block level backup), or exclude the $RmMetaData from being backed up by:

1.       Go to

2.       Adding a Multi-String Value named IgnoreNTFS with data \$Extend\* /s under FilesNotToBackup.

3.       Restart the server.

A KB is published: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/11872.server-backup-known-issues-and-resolutions-en-us.aspx and we have let Server Backup and NTFS folks know this issue, so that they could consider exclude these to be backed up by default.

Please try the workaround and let us know if this fixes the issue. Thanks!

Yang

• Edited by YangCao Thursday, August 23, 2012 6:57 AM
    • Proposed as answer by YangCao Thursday, August 23, 2012 6:57 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by YangCao Thursday, August 23, 2012 6:57 AM
    • Proposed as answer by YangCao Thursday, August 30, 2012 3:02 AM
    • Marked as answer by Phil Harrison Tuesday, September 4, 2012 4:16 PM
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 6:56 AM
  • Thank you. I will try this and report back after I have rebuilt my Server with RC.

Thursday, August 23, 2012 11:29 AM
  • Yang, I have a similar issue that is consistent on both RTM Server 2012 datacenter and 2012 standard. I cannot get Windows Server backup to run without failing. The message is the same every time on multiple VM images (all built on ESXi v5 update 1) that are both upgraded from Win 2008R2 and a perfectly clean 2012 datacenter install.

The thing seems to do a Volume Shadow copy, followed by some delete, followed by backup in progress... then fails with "portion of file locked by another process"... the file is \\?\volume {........} on reserved/system space?

Same exact issue on every attempt. I have rebooted, closed all applications, etc.

Is this a known issue on RTM?

Thursday, August 23, 2012 4:32 PM
  • Thank you. I will try this and report back after I have rebuilt my Server with RC.

Any Update?

James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

Monday, August 27, 2012 9:35 AM

Any Update?

James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

James

Apologies, I made the change to the beta version and there were no issues for 2 days but then I was sidetracked on to another project which meant flattening my Server. That out of the way, I am currently rebuilding with RC and will await the first failure before making the modification and report back.

Phil

Monday, August 27, 2012 1:26 PM
  • Dan,

I have never saw the issue you mentioned before. Maybe you could open a bug to the Windows Server team (or if you see this on Essentials server too, you could open a bug to Essentials).

Yang

Thursday, August 30, 2012 3:01 AM
  • Interesting findings. I spent a few days going through all possibilities.

I found that I can no longer backup to a Seagate NAS that has an IP address\share, nor can I backup to a DROBO NAS that is network based. I also found out that backup fails when trying to backup to a network share that is on a machine NOT PART OF THE DOMAIN!

I needed to setup a separate server that is on my domain.... made a share for backup repository there. Then ALL machines on the domain can complete the backup! Once there, I need to do a robocopy or vice-versa copy/move to the DROBO/NAS or Seagate NAS!

The error on the shadow copy volume seems totally misleading in this case, and it definitely is a problem with Server 2012 (datacenter/standard) as well as Windows 8 (Pro and Enterprise). I have tested all scenarios on RTM builds from our volume license and MSDN versions.

So, I think I will have one of my folks here do the support call with all the info now.... but as FYI to readers here, this is completely reproducible with totally "clean" installs of Win 2012 server and Win 8 (using the original Win 7 backup - yes it is on win 8, under a different name!). 

If anyone has other info related to this problem I'd like to know, as I use DROBO a lot for backups and it makes it a pain to do multiple file copies after already backing up the machine to an intermediary server.

Thursday, August 30, 2012 11:57 AM
  • OK, this appears to have worked successfully on both WS 2012 Essentials and WHS 2011. Thank you.

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 4:15 PM
  • Hi all.
    I get::

Error in backup of G:\$Extend\$RmMetadata\$TxfLog\ during write: Error [0x80070005] Access is denied.
    Error in backup of G:\$Extend\$RmMetadata\$TxfLog\$TxfLog.blf during write: Error [0x80070005] Access is denied.

The server is Windows server 2016 with essentials experience role running.

It's a domain controller and I'm actively using the essentials experience to manage the office. It includes all the backup options offered in the essentials experience.

Most of the time backup is successful, but sometimes it it completed with those warnings above.

What I need to know, what would I be excluding, if I used this method to solve the issue:

1.       Go to

2.       Adding a Multi-String Value named IgnoreNTFS with data \$Extend\* /s under FilesNotToBackup.

3.       Restart the server.

With this method, am I excluding some files, if so, how can I see that files?

Best regards, kip

Monday, January 15, 2018 11:53 AM