none
Virtual server 2005 on windows vista Home premuim

Question

•  

How to install Virtual server 2005 on windows vista Home premuim? Any one succeeded?

Friday, January 18, 2008 4:47 PM

Answers

• This is not possible - Virtual Server requires IIS, which is not include with the Home versions of Windows.

Cheers,

Ben

Friday, January 18, 2008 9:50 PM
    Owner
  • Ooooh my, I never thought I'd say this, Ben is incorrect. (Actually Ben is never incorrect; technically he's correct because what follows is an unsupported configuration.) Here's what you need to do:

1. Do a custom install of Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1.

2. Do not install Virtual Server Web Application.

3. The default is to Enable Virtual Server exceptions in Windows Firewall, but you don't have to do this if you are running locally only.

4. Download and install VMRCplus. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=80ADC08C-BFC6-4C3A-B4F1-772F550AE791&displaylang=en

VMRCplus is a free and unsupported Windows application for administering Virtual Server without using IIS. It is a much better interface than the web UI that comes with Virtual Server. Since you are obviously trying to create a virtual environment for learning and messing around with, this is the perfect solution for you. Virtual Server and VMRCplus will work just fine on Vista Home. Just don't call Microsoft support for help if you have a problem. But you won't anyway, you'll just post here, right?

Friday, January 18, 2008 11:57 PM

All replies

• This is not possible - Virtual Server requires IIS, which is not include with the Home versions of Windows.

Cheers,

Ben

Friday, January 18, 2008 9:50 PM
    Owner
  • Ooooh my, I never thought I'd say this, Ben is incorrect. (Actually Ben is never incorrect; technically he's correct because what follows is an unsupported configuration.) Here's what you need to do:

1. Do a custom install of Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1.

2. Do not install Virtual Server Web Application.

3. The default is to Enable Virtual Server exceptions in Windows Firewall, but you don't have to do this if you are running locally only.

4. Download and install VMRCplus. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=80ADC08C-BFC6-4C3A-B4F1-772F550AE791&displaylang=en

VMRCplus is a free and unsupported Windows application for administering Virtual Server without using IIS. It is a much better interface than the web UI that comes with Virtual Server. Since you are obviously trying to create a virtual environment for learning and messing around with, this is the perfect solution for you. Virtual Server and VMRCplus will work just fine on Vista Home. Just don't call Microsoft support for help if you have a problem. But you won't anyway, you'll just post here, right?

Friday, January 18, 2008 11:57 PM
  • Heh - I was wondering if someone would pick me up on that:-).  You are correct - I was just being lazy and giving the short answer.

Cheers,

Ben

Monday, January 21, 2008 6:24 AM
    Owner
  • Hi,

Still it is not possible to install Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1, I cannot do a custom install also, while I double clicking on the Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1 setup and clicking on the "Install Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1" , it will show me that you are running on an unsupported OS.

Please guide me.

Thanks,

Rahul.

Monday, January 21, 2008 10:58 PM
  • How about running the VirtualServer setup 'executable' in 'compatibily mode'

Right Click the vs-setup.exe file name {Or whatever it is called} select 'Properties' then 'Compatibilty Tab' check the 'Run this program ....' and select 'Windows Server 2003 SP1'. Then try installing the .exe again.

Cheers,

Stephen Edgar
    Tuesday, January 22, 2008 1:31 PM
  • It should warn that it is incompatible - but actually install still.

Cheers,

Ben

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 7:22 PM
    Owner
  • HI All,

Nope ...

Netweb :- Still in compatibility mode ,I cannot run , i changed to windows server 2003 SP1.

Can anyone please provide me the steps to run  Virtual Server 2005 on Windows Vista Home premium .

Thanks,

RAhul.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 4:24 AM
  • Can someone please provide step by step instructions on how to do this?

Thanks In Advance

Thursday, March 13, 2008 1:40 PM
  • As a Vista Home Premium user doing some self study, thought I would provide some add-on instructions after Johns post triggered my interest.

Disclaimer: this is a completely unsupported way of running the app and may trash your PC!

Ok, to get Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1 working (x64 in my case), run through through the following steps.

1. Turn off UAC (be sure to turn it on again afterwards!) and reboot
    2. Doubleclick the Virtual Server 2005 exe, go hunting for the virtual server 2005.msi saved usually in the \temp folder somewhere
    3. Download and install Orca (google it)
    4. Open the msi with Orca
    5. Goto tools - options - Database and check "Copy embedded streams during 'save as'

Tricky part:
    6. The screen is divided into 2 halves - tables and action. We're going to delete a couple things.

Left click InstallExecuteSequence, and on the right pane, right click CaCheckOS and on select Drop Row.
    Then
    Left click InstallUISequence, and on the right plane, right click CaCheckOS and select Drop Row.

This will remove the logic where the installer checks for Home Premium.

7. Select file and save
    8. Run the .msi, and dont install the virtual server web app component
    9. Turn on UAC and reboot

10. Use VMRCplus to admin the system and get stuck into all the VHD's you can now play with!

Good luck, hopefully this post stays around as a reference for other hobbyists out there! Or the mods of course can delete it and people will go download Vmware Server...  :-)

Sunday, March 30, 2008 4:57 PM
  • The Orca workaround does indeed work quite well for the purpose of building a self-study learning environment. Although VMRCplus is also unsupported, it is an authorized download and made freely available by Microsoft. Most of the Orca download links are not official Microsoft sites. It is questionable for other sites to provide downloads of Microsoft software. From a safety and security perspective, I discourage people from downloading Microsoft software from other locations.

Here is the KB article on how to use Orca. It includes the official link for downloading Orca: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255905
    Sunday, March 30, 2008 6:56 PM
  • This is a great post.  Thanks a million knowmad.

There is one step I would add for those of you who need step by step help.  You need to extract the msi from the setup.exe that you download.  You can do this by running the following command.

Setup.exe /c /t drive letter :\ path to the .msi file

Example: Setup.exe /c /t c:\temp

This extracts Virtual Server 2005 Install.msi to the specified location.  Then you proceed with Orca to modify the .msi.

I hope this helps

Saturday, June 21, 2008 2:57 PM
  • Hi Guys,

Tried the solution stated in this forum but I am completely unable to find the MSI file. As far as Im concerned it is not t be found.
    Would there be another way to extract the MSI??

Baj
    Thursday, October 16, 2008 9:37 PM

• Me alegro de encontrar este tema que responde a mi problema. Tengo Windows Vista Home Premium. Un día vi que el icono de Red había desaparecido y un "aparato" clasificado como "otros dispositivos" estaba en su lugar.

El caso es que no se podía hacer nada pues el "Microsoft Publication Service Device Host" que es su nombre,  no tiene nada para configurarlo. Sólo remite a la dirección www.microsoft.com, en la que no hay nada sobre él.

Las dificultades de conexión a mi red LAN aumentaron, y la dificultad para compartir.
    Me ha costado tiempo de investigación y mucha paciencia para descubrir su origen en Service Pack Kb936330, que lo introdujo sin saber las consecuencias nefastas. Por lo menos si se hubiese anunciado y enseñado su manejo pues hubiera estado preparada para ello.

Ahora pregunto ¿qué se puede hacer con este regalito? ¿Está instalado? Por más que lo busco directamente o por el buscador no hay nada en el equipo. Tiene IP127.0.0.1, hago ping en la red...y está sordo, no responde.
    Es un Servidor pero ¿para qué sirve?
    Leo que este de 2005 y el futuro de 2008 son una maravilla...pero en la práctica ¿Qué puedo hacer con él, si es un problema para el funcionamiento ordinario de mi comunicación? Estoy tentada de quitar ese Service Pack, pero me gustaría saber qué consecuencias podría tener.

Espero la respuesta de los entendidos. Muchas gracias. Carmen

Monday, November 10, 2008 6:37 PM
  • Hi Knowmad,

I executed all the mention steps successfuly but during the installation it threw another error "MS virtual server 2005 R2 SP1 setup was interrupted. Your system has not been modified". This means  while installing the components it performes OS check again.  It will be a great help if you could provide the solution for this.

TIA

Nick

Friday, April 24, 2009 6:39 AM
  • That worked for me, THANKS!

Sunday, April 26, 2009 12:15 AM
  • Hi Knowmad,

This worked great, I just added a step-by step for others with screen snaps 

Thanks a lot Knowmad

Monday, July 27, 2009 6:57 AM