none
How to connect wifi clients to Hyper-V-based domain RRS feed

• Question

• 1 Hyper-V host with a 4-port NIC running Windows Server 2019 Datacenter Core

Domain Controller VM and client VMs running on it, connected through an Internal vSwitch.  DC runs DHCP.  Client VMs connected to this Internal vSwitch get DHCP from DC fine.

Flat 192.168.0.x network, looking to keep it as simple as possible for now.

I would now like to connect wireless clients to this DHCP network.  

I have a wireless router that I turned into a bridge by disabling its DHCP and uPNP, and setting a static 192.168.0.x IP for it.

What should I do to enable clients connecting to this bridge to grab an IP from this DC?

(I've tried various things, but don't want to clutter this thread with my (likely faulty) actions, for now.

Thank you for all guidance.

Saturday, April 20, 2019 12:13 PM

All replies

• Using an Internal virtual switch for the VMs means that the only the VMs and the host can connect to one another.  (https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/jhoward/2008/06/17/hyper-v-what-are-the-uses-for-different-types-of-virtual-networks/ is a good blog explaining the various types of virtual switches).  In order for a client coming in from a wireless network, that means there has to be a physical connection between the wireless network and the Hyper-V host.  The Hyper-V host will need to have at least one of the NICs defined as an External switch in order to access the physical network.  

You have made your configuration more complicated by using an Internal virtual switch.  If you placed everything on an External virtual switch and place both the VMs and the wi-fi clients on the same subnet, it would be trivial to set up.  But by placing the VMs on an Internal virtual switch, only allowing communication among the physical host and the VMs on that host, you would have to introduce a VM that acts as a router between the physical and virtual environments and that router would have to be configured to forward DHCP requests.

tim

Saturday, April 20, 2019 1:15 PM
  • I'd configure a new external vSwitch, connect VMs to new vSwitch, plug wireless bridge into port configured for new vSwitch

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Saturday, April 20, 2019 1:18 PM
  • Hi,
    Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, April 22, 2019 3:21 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved? 

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.
    If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.
    If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,
    Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, April 24, 2019 7:31 AM