IPv6 DHCP Scope Prefix option in WIN 2016 Server RRS feed

• Question

• Team,

I am trying to configure IPV6 DHCP scope for our widely spread campus lab netwrok, which has different IP subnets with prefix /112 and /120.When I am trying to configure IPv6 DHCP scope in WIN 2016 server the prefix is fixed as /64.

Please let me know how to change the prefix from /64 to other prefixes to cover my requirement.

Thanks,

Vish

Friday, May 15, 2020 9:56 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Since you have asked the same question in another thread, we suggest that you can focus on that thread to get better assistance:

IPv6 DHCP Scope Prefix option in WIN 2016 Server

You can mark the reply here as answered to finish this thread. 

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best regards,

Phoebe Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Monday, May 18, 2020 2:25 AM
  • Hi Phoebe Wu,

Thanks for the response, I have closed my question in other forum you mentioned, as they told me to post the question in the Subject matter expert group, I mean in this group. Hence I posted here as well. So request you to give me solution here. I will follow this forum only.

Thanks,

Vish

Monday, May 18, 2020 7:12 PM
  • Hi,
    Thanks for the post here. 
    Please understand that the prefix length for an IPv6 subnet will always be /64; no more, no less. It allows you to place as many IPv6 devices as the underlying network medium allows. 
    Unlike IPv4, IPv6 doesn't get its default gateway from DHCPv6 but from IPv6 RA (router advertisements).
    Roughly speaking, the function of DHCPV4 = DHCPv6 + RA.
    So, changing the prefix from /64 to other prefixes when configuring IPv6 DHCP scope on Windows server 2016 is not possible by design. 

Hope this can help you.

Best regards,

Phoebe Wu

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Tuesday, May 19, 2020 6:07 AM
  • Hi,
    Just want to confirm the current situations. Was your issue resolved?
    If the information provided is helpful, please mark my previous replies as answered.
    Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.
    Best regards, 
    Phoebe Wu

Thursday, May 21, 2020 1:43 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we proposed it as ‘Answered’. If the information provided is helpful, please mark it as answered.
    If you need further help, please feel free to reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up.
    We’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. Thanks for your understanding and efforts.

Best regards,

Phoebe Wu

Monday, May 25, 2020 1:44 AM