none
System Image Backup & Restore RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking for info on restoring a system image to the same drive under a different raid controller.

The issue it it sees the drive under the new controller as slightly smaller & will not restore.

Restores fine on a larger drive.

Is there a way to restore a image to a smaller drive.

Thank you

Thursday, February 28, 2013 8:11 AM

Answers

• If you used the built-in Windows system image backup tool to create your system image, then unfortunately no, this will not be possible by default. You can only restore the image to hard drive or array that is the same size or larger. 

You could perhaps look into shrinking your partition before you make a image backup to see if you can it to match the size of your recovery drive.

Thursday, February 28, 2013 4:26 PM

All replies

• If you used the built-in Windows system image backup tool to create your system image, then unfortunately no, this will not be possible by default. You can only restore the image to hard drive or array that is the same size or larger. 

You could perhaps look into shrinking your partition before you make a image backup to see if you can it to match the size of your recovery drive.

Thursday, February 28, 2013 4:26 PM
  • Additional subitems:

When I do a test restore it does not find my external backup disk if I am using a PCIx USB 3.0 card

I thought server 2012 had native support for USB 3.0.

Do I need to create a recovery disk of some sort which will have the drivers or am I stuck using the original media.

Thanks

Thursday, March 7, 2013 6:54 PM