Remote Web Access works for about a week at a time

Question

• I have a new server running Windows Server Essentials 2016 and an issue with Remote Web Access. Every week, Remote Web Access will stop working and my clients get the message:

“Cannot connect to Remote Web Access. Please contact the person who manages the server.”

Unfortunately that’s me! When this happens, my immediate response is to repair Anywhere Access by opening the Windows Server Essentials Dashboard, then Set up Anywhere Access, Click to configure Anywhere Access and then the Repair button. However, I first have to restart the Windows Server Essentials Management Service, otherwise the Dashboard will lock up and crash out when I attempt the repair.

It’s unfortunate that it’s a problem that my clients know when it’s ‘down’ before I do, and these weekly phone calls are become tiresome for everyone.

I’ve found a lot of articles and posts about general Remote Web Access failures, but nothing so far has enabled me to resolve the issue. I’d really appreciate any help.

Monday, February 06, 2017 8:17 PM

Answers

• https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/95098edc-e4f8-478d-ab90-edd717cf1e94/server-essentials-2016-rww-broken?forum=winserveressentials

Vote

Hi All,

This issue might occur when you have O365/AAD enabled on the server. The product team is investigating it, in the mean time, the following workaround might help mitigate this issue:

1. On the server, go to folder %programfiles%\Windows Server\Bin\FeatureDefinitions\Microsoft PwdSync\

2. Make a copy of file Definition.xml for backup

3. Edit the original Definition.xml (if you don't have permission, copy the file out, edit it and put it back in the folder):

Comment out the following two sections:

<!--

<HealthDefinition Name="PasswordSyncInvalidPassword"

</HealthDefinition>

<HealthDefinition Name="PasswordSyncOtherFailure"

</HealthDefinition>

-->

4. Restart WseEmailSvc windows service.

Please let me know whether it helps nor not.

Thanks,

Junxiang

• Marked as answer by Robin Whiting Thursday, March 02, 2017 6:56 PM
    Wednesday, February 22, 2017 9:00 PM

All replies

• I have a new server running Windows Server Essentials 2016 and an issue with Remote Web Access. Every week, Remote Web Access will stop working and my clients get the message:

“Cannot connect to Remote Web Access. Please contact the person who manages the server.”

Unfortunately that’s me! When this happens, my immediate response is to repair Anywhere Access by opening the Windows Server Essentials Dashboard, then Set up Anywhere Access, Click to configure Anywhere Access and then the Repair button. However, I first have to restart the Windows Server Essentials Management Service, otherwise the Dashboard will lock up and crash out when I attempt the repair.

It’s unfortunate that it’s a problem that my clients know when it’s ‘down’ before I do, and these weekly phone calls are become tiresome for everyone. 

I’ve found a lot of articles and posts about general Remote Web Access failures, but nothing so far has enabled me to resolve the issue. I’d really appreciate any help.

Monday, February 06, 2017 7:51 PM
  • Better to ask over here.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?forum=ws16essentials

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Monday, February 06, 2017 8:13 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Robin:

This issue is under investigation by the MS team.  They have been able to reproduce it and are working on it.  Stand by.

Larry Struckmeyer [MVP]-- --If your question is answered please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

Monday, February 06, 2017 10:51 PM
  • Thank you, Larry! That's good to know and I'm grateful you passed this info on.

Do you happen to know of any kind of status page I can keep an eye on? A web page that MS will update when the issue is resolved, or to track progress? It would be good to be able to keep tabs on it.

Tuesday, February 07, 2017 9:53 AM
  • Sorry, I don't know of a status page.  The issue is under investigation and it normally can be diagnosed in short order once it can be reliably reproduced.  But remember there are strict protocols in place for releasing patches to avoid causing more problems than the patch is intended to fix.  What we *might* see initially is a hot fix intended for affected servers.

Larry Struckmeyer [MVP]-- --If your question is answered please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

Tuesday, February 07, 2017 12:14 PM
  • Having same issue and still looking for a fix. any updates on this ?
    As a side note when this error happens via rwa, it coincides with the dashboard opening at a snails pace and when it does open the cloud services tab doesn't work. Says can't connect. I've actually tried to remove the servers Essentials feature and re-add it already with no avail. Only solution is to reboot server and then works for about a week.
    Monday, February 13, 2017 3:24 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your detail description. There is no official information about this problem until now.

Please check and install update/hotfix via system built-in Windows Update periodically. 

Also, there is “The Windows Server Essentials and Small Business Server Blog” where you can find the new information:
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/sbs/

Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 16, 2017 7:01 AM
  • I wish there was a status page somewhere which could keep me informed as to a fix for this issue. To be honest, I don't even have an official acknowledgement from Microsoft that it's even a known issue. Perhaps this is a just a mis-configuration somewhere.

Larry Struckmeyer says this issue is under investigation and that it's been reproduced by MS. Where did that information come from? Can I see it? Can I get confirmation?

That blog you linked, Eve, hasn't been updated since October 2016, so I really can't see that we're going to get any information from there.

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 8:01 PM
  • Currently under investigation because I've personally helped several consultants get support cases opened.  When the RWA breaks you can use /remote/remote (a double remote string) to get into RWA .

If you would like me to open one for you so you can get 'reported' to officially, just email me at susan-at-msmvps.com (change the -at- to @) and I'll need your phone number.

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 8:32 PM
  • https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/95098edc-e4f8-478d-ab90-edd717cf1e94/server-essentials-2016-rww-broken?forum=winserveressentials

Vote

Hi All,

This issue might occur when you have O365/AAD enabled on the server. The product team is investigating it, in the mean time, the following workaround might help mitigate this issue:

1. On the server, go to folder %programfiles%\Windows Server\Bin\FeatureDefinitions\Microsoft PwdSync\

2. Make a copy of file Definition.xml for backup

3. Edit the original Definition.xml (if you don't have permission, copy the file out, edit it and put it back in the folder):

Comment out the following two sections:

<!--

<HealthDefinition Name="PasswordSyncInvalidPassword"

</HealthDefinition>

<HealthDefinition Name="PasswordSyncOtherFailure"

</HealthDefinition>

-->

4. Restart WseEmailSvc windows service.

Please let me know whether it helps nor not.

Thanks,

Junxiang

• Marked as answer by Robin Whiting Thursday, March 02, 2017 6:56 PM
    Wednesday, February 22, 2017 9:00 PM
  • I have also applied this workaround. All has been well for the last week. Hoping that continues.
    Monday, February 27, 2017 6:29 PM
  • That seems to be it! MS have also confirmed with me that this is the way to resolve the issue until a hotfix is available. No ETA on that.

Thank you very much!

Thursday, March 02, 2017 6:57 PM