none
Help! Windows Activation error message saying "Windows must be reinstalled" - has come up on our primary data server

Question

• Would appreciate any help I can get on the following error that just popped up this week on our company main Windows 2008 R2 Data server:

Windows Activation - Windows must be reinstalled  - An unauthorized change was made to windows.  Windows must be reinstalled to activate.  Insert the Windows installation DVD or CD into you computer to begin reinstallation process.

This server was a valid copy of Windows 2008 R2 and was activitated and has been running fine since June 2011.  I really have no idea why this is coming up OR what to do to repair it.  Because this is our main data server, I'm nervous about trying to reinstall windows on this machine. 

Does anyone have any ideas as to what this might be or what to look for so I can repair this?  

Thanks for any help you can give!

Terry

Saturday, February 11, 2012 9:07 PM

Answers

• Windows Activation - Windows must be reinstalled  - An unauthorized change was made to windows.  Windows must be reinstalled to activate.  Insert the Windows installation DVD or CD into you computer to begin reinstallation process.

I had similar issue on couple of my 2008 R2 servers.

This is how I resolved.

1.        Go to following folder C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft

2.       Right click SoftwareProtectionPlatform folder,  in the security add user sppsvc (NT Service\sppsvc – local service)             and provide full control.

3.       Reboot the Server and you should see Windows activated as before.                                                                                        

Probable cause:

You would likely to receive aforementioned error if Windows Server/s is activated through KMS. In this scenario, Windows was not completely activated. 

Ref:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978305 

Vote As Helpful, if you find my information useful ! This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Sunday, February 12, 2012 7:30 AM

All replies

• there are a few references on the web to http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winservergen/thread/4d1b6e04-a860-4d0e-a577-95bc30f161aa , however, they talk about Vista/Windows 2008 (my guess would be that didnt change, but I am not sure).

Another method supposed to work (again, not tried that, haven't had that error before) is to press Winkey + Pause and select "Change product key" to reenter your key + reactivate it

As this is a production server, you want to a) have a backup before trying anything b) might consider calling MS Support

• Proposed as answer by Gopi Kiran Sunday, February 12, 2012 8:20 PM
    Saturday, February 11, 2012 9:43 PM
  • Windows Activation - Windows must be reinstalled  - An unauthorized change was made to windows.  Windows must be reinstalled to activate.  Insert the Windows installation DVD or CD into you computer to begin reinstallation process.

I had similar issue on couple of my 2008 R2 servers.

This is how I resolved.

1.        Go to following folder C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft

2.       Right click SoftwareProtectionPlatform folder,  in the security add user sppsvc (NT Service\sppsvc – local service)             and provide full control.

3.       Reboot the Server and you should see Windows activated as before.                                                                                        

Probable cause:

You would likely to receive aforementioned error if Windows Server/s is activated through KMS. In this scenario, Windows was not completely activated. 

Ref:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978305 

Vote As Helpful, if you find my information useful ! This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Sunday, February 12, 2012 7:30 AM
  • Just wanted to say a quick thanks for your response.   I really appreciate the feedback.  I put in a support case to Microsoft and ironically, the activation message was gone when I logged back on the next day.  I verified the activation was valid with the support tech I spoke to, so I'll have to mark this one as a mystery and hope I don't see it again.

I'm keeping this information for future use.

Thanks again!

Terry

Thursday, February 16, 2012 8:57 PM