none
Essentials 2012 to Essentials 2012 R2 Upgrade? RRS feed

• Question

• Due to compatibility requirements from our accounting software, we need to upgrade our Windows 2012 Essentials Server to Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials.  In terms of the product license, Is there an upgrade path for this or do we have to purchase 2012 R2 from scratch?  Also, is there a simple in-place upgrade function offered or will we have to completely reinstall the 2012 R2 Essentials OS over the older 2012 version?  This is a small network with just one server.

Thanks for any assistance you can offer.

John

Thursday, October 26, 2017 6:08 PM

Answers

• Hi,

As far as I know, if you enrolled your 2012 Essentials license in active Software Assurance, then, cost-efficient license upgrades are supported. 

As a forum supporter, we have no rights to check/confirm your license information. Please contact local license supporter belongs to Microsoft Volume Licensing Service Center, they are license experts and will help you to get more satisfying explanation:
    https://www.microsoft.com/Licensing/servicecenter/Help/Contact.aspx

Windows Server Essentials does not support in-place upgrade, in order to keep your current data and configuration, system migration is always recommended. 

Migrate from Previous Versions to Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials or Windows Server Essentials Experience:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn408633(v=ws.11).aspx

If there is only one physical server on your environment, as a workaround, you can build a virtual server(for example, Windows 10 Hyper-V guest OS supports Windows Server 2012/2012 R2) as intermediate conversion, that means – migrate from original server to virtual server, then, migrate from virtual server to new install server(on original hardware).

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by JN92 Friday, October 27, 2017 1:40 PM
    Friday, October 27, 2017 7:42 AM

All replies

• Hi,

As far as I know, if you enrolled your 2012 Essentials license in active Software Assurance, then, cost-efficient license upgrades are supported. 

As a forum supporter, we have no rights to check/confirm your license information. Please contact local license supporter belongs to Microsoft Volume Licensing Service Center, they are license experts and will help you to get more satisfying explanation:
    https://www.microsoft.com/Licensing/servicecenter/Help/Contact.aspx

Windows Server Essentials does not support in-place upgrade, in order to keep your current data and configuration, system migration is always recommended. 

Migrate from Previous Versions to Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials or Windows Server Essentials Experience:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn408633(v=ws.11).aspx

If there is only one physical server on your environment, as a workaround, you can build a virtual server(for example, Windows 10 Hyper-V guest OS supports Windows Server 2012/2012 R2) as intermediate conversion, that means – migrate from original server to virtual server, then, migrate from virtual server to new install server(on original hardware).

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by JN92 Friday, October 27, 2017 1:40 PM
    Friday, October 27, 2017 7:42 AM
  • Thanks for your clear, informative reply. Although it's not what I had hoped to hear, it's what I expected. The upgrade cost (both in terms of time and money) to go to an R2 version of the same entry-level budget product is simply too much. We would have to purchase WSE 2012 R2 as though it were an isolated new product (I.e., no consideration of the fact that we have already done this with WSE 2012 not so long ago). Then there is the absence of a reasonable (in terms of time and complexity) upgrade path from WSE 2012 to 2012 R2. It would take hours of specialized labor to implement the server OS upgrade, whether done via the recommended two-server "migration" method or by having to completely reinstall/configure 2012 R2 on the original server, along with all of the application software, etc. These procedures might make proportional sense for a higher-end version of Windows Server, but not a small network, entry-level product like Server Essentials, which is supposedly for small organizations without significant internal IT expertise. I suspect that a small organization IT novice would take one look at the convoluted migration article and run away as quickly as possible.

John

Friday, October 27, 2017 2:00 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your detail suggestion, also, I am quite understand the inconvenient and cost. I will post your suggestion/feedback to relate department.

Your suggestion/feedback is always welcome as it is helpful for improving our products and services.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Monday, October 30, 2017 2:00 AM