none
Removing Parent Domain Keeping Child Domain RRS feed

• Question

• We have a AD Domain that has a parent and one child domain. This was someone else's design not mine. Anyway we are going to migrate this domain(s) from physical to virtual using VMware. I would like not to bring the parent domain with this migration. I do not need to maintain two servers that do nothing for me, even if they are VM's.

So the question is. Can I just DC Promo out the two DC's and will it leave the child domain intact?

These are Windows 2003 R2 servers going to 2012 R2.

Thanks,

Jerry

Jerry

Thursday, April 30, 2015 8:07 PM

Answers

• Hi Jerry,

>>So the question is. Can I just DC Promo out the two DC's and will it leave the child domain intact?

No. We can't remove the root domain while keeping the child domain.

Regarding this point, the following article can be referred to for more information.

Remove parent domain

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/bb7f9ca3-5702-4f78-94e7-64c0c30a9390/remove-parent-domain?forum=winserverDS

Best regards,
    Frank Shen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 4, 2015 9:41 AM
  • We have a AD Domain that has a parent and one child domain. This was someone else's design not mine. Anyway we are going to migrate this domain(s) from physical to virtual using VMware. I would like not to bring the parent domain with this migration. I do not need to maintain two servers that do nothing for me, even if they are VM's.

You can not remove the root domain. Your best option seems to be to migrate objects using ADMT to a new domain and completely decommission the forest.

Mahdi Tehrani   |     |   www.mahditehrani.ir
    Please click on Propose As Answer or to mark this post as and helpful for other people.
    This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Jerry5337 Monday, May 4, 2015 4:47 PM
    Monday, May 4, 2015 11:00 AM

All replies

• Hi Jerry,

>>So the question is. Can I just DC Promo out the two DC's and will it leave the child domain intact?

No. We can't remove the root domain while keeping the child domain.

Regarding this point, the following article can be referred to for more information.

Remove parent domain

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/bb7f9ca3-5702-4f78-94e7-64c0c30a9390/remove-parent-domain?forum=winserverDS

Best regards,
    Frank Shen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 4, 2015 9:41 AM

You can not remove the root domain. Your best option seems to be to migrate objects using ADMT to a new domain and completely decommission the forest.

Mahdi Tehrani   |     |   www.mahditehrani.ir
    Please click on Propose As Answer or to mark this post as and helpful for other people.
    This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Jerry5337 Monday, May 4, 2015 4:47 PM
    Monday, May 4, 2015 11:00 AM