none
RDP logon screen timeout, RRS feed

• Question

• Hey all, my first time here but probably not last :P
    Here is my problem:

I work at a school where every student got he's/her's own login etc,
    I have setup a useraccount on local maschines that does autologin and starts mstsc.exe /v:ms /f
    so all works great the stations stand by login to TS server2008

the thing is the login screen session is closed after about 30 secconds "if idle"
    i have tested different versions of RDP and also tryed connecting to a winxp
    maschine with same setting, but all the same,

so im guessing its client side registry, but where :s ?

i have google'd like crazy and no luck :(
    If anyone could anwser that than i owe you a cookie :D
    Friday, June 12, 2009 6:55 PM

Answers

• Grayzatt,

What I think you are saying is that you want the PC to sit there, with the RDC session started, but not logged in, until a student wants to use it, at which point the student types in their creds and presto. Right?

I don't think you want to do this (and I dont know of a way off hand to do it), because this uses resources (for the initial connection) for nothing, just sitting there waiting.

Why not just put a link to a pre-created RDC file on the desktop, configured the way you want it, and make it read only to the local user.
    Create an RDC file and save it to C (make sure its read only to the local user). Then make a shortcut to this file on the desktop, and make the shortcut read only to the local user. That way they cant change the shortcut.

Hope this helps, Kristin L. Griffin
    Friday, June 12, 2009 8:56 PM

All replies

• Thanks for the answer, but no change, the TS config first overrides after login,
    i dont have a brain for scrips etc, but is it possible to make a script to start RDP and check if the process is alive
    every 34sec if not restart RDP :S

becous it seems like some buildin security or bandwidth thing..
    Friday, June 12, 2009 8:39 PM
  • Grayzatt,

What I think you are saying is that you want the PC to sit there, with the RDC session started, but not logged in, until a student wants to use it, at which point the student types in their creds and presto. Right?

I don't think you want to do this (and I dont know of a way off hand to do it), because this uses resources (for the initial connection) for nothing, just sitting there waiting.

Why not just put a link to a pre-created RDC file on the desktop, configured the way you want it, and make it read only to the local user.
    Create an RDC file and save it to C (make sure its read only to the local user). Then make a shortcut to this file on the desktop, and make the shortcut read only to the local user. That way they cant change the shortcut.

Friday, June 12, 2009 8:56 PM
  • Well thats what i wanted yes, i can guess it will eat up resources etc, got gigabit net rdy for but still you are probably right,
    my current setup is:
    comps fire up and wait in windows logonui, there is only one active user called Terminal, when a student gets there he logs in and the RDP starts up, the thing is the time it takes from login -> RDP the computers are kinda slow getting the IP assigned and than starting the connection,, but well if i can live with it than so can they hehe ^^

Thanks for your time btw :D
    Friday, June 12, 2009 9:02 PM
  • Glad to help  :)

If you wanna talk further, email me at kristin.l.griffin@gmail.com. So, do I get the cookie or what? (Thats what REALLY matters! :P)

Friday, June 12, 2009 9:06 PM
  • If anyone is interested than i made 2 .bat files as windows shell to make RDP reapear after closed session
    the problem was, when you exit RDP without a explorer.exe than you have nada, no icons etc.

so i made a logon.bat ->

start /min c:\shell.bat

and shell.bat ->

color 1b
    cls
    ipconfig /all
    %systemroot%\system32\mstsc.exe
    c:\shell.bat

to make user autologin i created a user "Termial"
    and changed regvalues:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
    autoadminlogon  1
    defaultusername  Terminal

to add the new shell i loged in the Termial user on the local mashine and added the regvalue:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
    shell logon.bat

and now the computer autologs the username and the RDP is at standby, if someone uses it and quit than its restarts the RDP connector :D
    hope this helps ^^
    Friday, June 19, 2009 9:27 PM