none
WSUS Cleanup Wizard - Now I need updates RRS feed

• Question

• I am taking over for someone and I realized after cleaning up the server that the automatic approval policies were never setup correctly. I also ran the cleanup due to the fact that a bunch of classification / products were selected when the server originally got setup - thus leaving a bunch of updates we would never need or use.

Now I need a LOT of the updates that were deleted (20+GB)

1 ) Any suggestion on how I can retrieve the entire update catalog for the selected classifications?

2) If I am unable to re-sync the update server to grab all the updates again.. it looks like my option is to delete and rebuild a new WSUS?? I hope not, I read that it is not a very smooth process? Has anyone ran into this issue?

Side note: I do have a copy of the Metadata folder from the server when it had the 17,000 updates, but once again 80% of the update were not needed / never going to be used.

3) In the worst case sceneo, could I just bring the megadata directory from my VM's backup and just copy it into place on the update server and run the sync commands?

Please help. Thanks

Saturday, December 5, 2015 6:42 AM

Answers

• Did you run the WSUS Server Cleanup Wizard (SCW)?
    Did you run the SCW after you de-selected products/classifications?
    Which SCW tasks did you run?
    If you ran the task "Delete unneeded update files", this will have deleted the update files/packages from the WSUScontent library for all de-selected & declined updates.

You can restore the files & folders for WSUScontent & then re-select the products/classifications again.
    You can then use:  wsusutil reset
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd939838(v=ws.10).aspx

wsusutil reset, will compare the metadata in the database, with the WSUScontent folders/files, and correct the "downloaded=done" status in the database, or, will cause the update files to be re-downloaded if the files cannot be found in WSUScontent library.

I don't think that restoring the files and then sync, will correct the situation for you. (but maybe somebody else here has actually tried that, and could confirm)

You should also check the WSUS options settings, to see if the WSUS is configured to download updates only when approved, or not.
    (it sounds like your server is set to download them even if not approved, if you did have a large quantity of downloaded updates before the cleanup)

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

• Marked as answer by vs2015sv Saturday, December 5, 2015 9:26 PM
    Saturday, December 5, 2015 10:56 AM

All replies

• Did you run the WSUS Server Cleanup Wizard (SCW)?
    Did you run the SCW after you de-selected products/classifications?
    Which SCW tasks did you run?
    If you ran the task "Delete unneeded update files", this will have deleted the update files/packages from the WSUScontent library for all de-selected & declined updates.

You can restore the files & folders for WSUScontent & then re-select the products/classifications again.
    You can then use:  wsusutil reset
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd939838(v=ws.10).aspx

wsusutil reset, will compare the metadata in the database, with the WSUScontent folders/files, and correct the "downloaded=done" status in the database, or, will cause the update files to be re-downloaded if the files cannot be found in WSUScontent library.

I don't think that restoring the files and then sync, will correct the situation for you. (but maybe somebody else here has actually tried that, and could confirm)

You should also check the WSUS options settings, to see if the WSUS is configured to download updates only when approved, or not.
    (it sounds like your server is set to download them even if not approved, if you did have a large quantity of downloaded updates before the cleanup)

• Marked as answer by vs2015sv Saturday, December 5, 2015 9:26 PM
    Saturday, December 5, 2015 10:56 AM
  • Thanks for the fast reply.

I ran the SCW (I never unselected any classes at this point). There was around 17,000 Updates, and it did free up a ton of space (20GB).

When I ran the SCW, I left all options checked.

Would this mean that all of the updates that have been downloadd to WSUS and that are installed on my pc's (example: win7,office,win8 security updates..updates that are and have been used) are still in the catalog and would be installed on a PC if I was to connect it directly to WSUS)?

From what I am reading.. it really just removes the updates that were never used, expired, superseded and if I did uncheck a class, those would have been removed as well?

Thanks for the help

• Edited by vs2015sv Saturday, December 5, 2015 3:27 PM typo
    Saturday, December 5, 2015 3:01 PM
  • Thanks for the fast reply.

I ran the SCW (I never unselected any classes at this point). There was around 17,000 Updates, and it did free up a ton of space (20GB).

When I ran the SCW, I left all options checked.

Would this mean that all of the updates that have been downloaded to WSUS and that are installed on my pc's (example: win7,office,win8 security updates..updates that are and have been used) are still in the catalog and would be installed on a PC if I was to connect it directly to WSUS)?

Updates which are Approved in your WSUS have not been cleaned-up. These Updates remain available to your PCs or to any new PCs.

From what I am reading.. it really just removes the updates that were never used, expired, superseded and if I did uncheck a class, those would have been removed as well?

Thanks for the help

Updates which were "never used" - hmm, this depends, if those Updates were never needed/required by any PCs, but if those Updates were Approved, those Updates in Approved status are not cleaned-up.

If you did uncheck a product or classification, then run SCW, the SCW will consider that the database+content for those "no longer wanted" items can be cleaned-up (because the metadata+content exists in your WSUS but the product/classification is not wanted, so SCW will remove that)

Saturday, December 5, 2015 10:01 PM