DNS Error while installing DC RRS feed

• Question

• hello. This might be a newbbi question. I am trying to install a domain controller on Server 2012. When i get to "DNS Options" i get a warning and i read that is OK to skip it. However when i get to Prerequisites Check i am getting an error:

Verification of prerequisites for Domain Controller promotion failed. DNS services are required to proceed. Complete the DNS client configuration before you proceed.

What do i need to do to finish the DC installation?

Thanks for the help

Thursday, January 31, 2013 6:02 PM

Answers

All replies

• What are you 'skipping'?  Yes, during the install there is a warning about DNS delegation that you can skip, but you MUST have DNS in your environment.  If you do not already have a DNS server in your environment (not your ISP's DNS - that won't work), you have to allow the AD installation to install DNS.

.:|:.:|:. tim

• Marked as answer by Jeremy_Wu Wednesday, February 6, 2013 3:39 AM
    Friday, February 1, 2013 12:10 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jeremy_Wu Wednesday, February 6, 2013 3:40 AM
    Monday, February 4, 2013 8:03 AM
  • This happens if your client DNS configuration doesn't have a valid entry.  Your network connection should be static with an IP address, subnet mask AND a DNS address. 

If this is a lab environment, then just set the DNS address to be the same as the server IP address

• Proposed as answer by PrazAU Saturday, March 15, 2014 6:28 AM
    Monday, July 15, 2013 3:25 AM
  • For lab this is true. But also, I think I kept getting the error until I enabled IPv6. My first lab went fine without a DNS entry, but it had IPv4 and IPv6. Second time around, lab failed. Only difference was IPv6 disabled.

• Proposed as answer by Debmallya Monday, June 27, 2016 2:54 PM
    Wednesday, July 1, 2015 3:17 PM
  • Just enable IPV6 .. It will work fine.. Work for me

Monday, August 1, 2016 9:06 PM
  • Just in case it my help the next browser of this thread. I solved my issue by adding in a DNS entry to the IP configuration. I had not previously set an IP and had left it blank. Adding the IP of the server into the DNS IP configuration enabled my Pre Req's check to Pass and continue.

Thursday, January 26, 2017 10:47 AM
  • Dr.Web Server 2016 when installing and installing a service
    Windows Server 2008, Active Directory Domain Controller, we will encounter an error called Windows 2012 Verification of Prerequisites for Domain Controller Promotion.
    Which is the most stringent and most stringent error check on Windows Server 2016. This error occurs because the level of password complexity for Administrator Local Account is low.
    But you will be faced with this error after choosing a more complex password.
    This problem can be cited as one of the Windows Server 2016 bugs. In order to fix the bug in the Active Directory Active Directory installation of Microsoft Windows Server 2016, this can be done in a very simple way to complete the process of installing and enjoying Active Directory Operations.

Just use the following command in Windows Server 2008 Command Prompt.
    Net user Administrator / passwordreq: yes
    Then restart the system and run the installation and activation steps of the Active Directory Server 2016 again.

Friday, December 28, 2018 4:36 PM