none
Windows 2008R2 server Role error 0x800706BE RRS feed

• Question

• I'm not able to open Roles and Features. I've got error message 0x800706BE.

Cannot add or remove roles.

Thursday, July 22, 2010 12:53 PM

Answers

• Hi Pavlisster,

Please follow the instructions from the following website to download and run System Update Readiness Tool on your computer.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

If the issue is not resolved after running the tool, please post the result of CheckSUR.log (%windir%\logs\cbs\checksur.log) and ServerManager.log (inside C:\Windows\Logs) here and I will help you check it.

Regards,

Karen Ji

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ” This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Karen Ji Wednesday, July 28, 2010 6:52 AM
    Friday, July 23, 2010 8:56 AM

All replies

• Sounds like some files have been corupted.
    What is writen in the eventlog?
    Can you still get the serverroles by using PowerShell? http://blogs.msdn.com/b/powershell/archive/2009/01/27/managing-server-features-with-powershell-cmdlets-on-windows-2008-server-r2-beta.aspx
    If so, then it seems the servermanager files have been corrupted, perhaps tried to install an updated which failed?

For repairing Server Manager, you can replace the files in c:\windows\servicing\packages with some from a working server... or you can download it:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/974431/en-us/
    Unpack it, rename Windows6.1-KB974431-x64.msu to an .cab extention and open it.
    In there you will find some packages with the same name as in the c:\windows\servicing\packages folder so you will know which ones you can replace.
    Friday, July 23, 2010 8:07 AM
  • Hi Pavlisster,

Please follow the instructions from the following website to download and run System Update Readiness Tool on your computer.

If the issue is not resolved after running the tool, please post the result of CheckSUR.log (%windir%\logs\cbs\checksur.log) and ServerManager.log (inside C:\Windows\Logs) here and I will help you check it.

Regards,

Karen Ji

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ” This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Karen Ji Wednesday, July 28, 2010 6:52 AM
    Friday, July 23, 2010 8:56 AM
  • Thanks for the post  this one helped for me too.

Etienne Liebetrau

http://fixmyitsystem.blogspot.com/

Friday, August 20, 2010 12:43 PM
  • Hello. I'm having the same issue on 2008 R2. My standalone DC was working fine until two days ago when I started installing the new updates available.

The installation of update KB982132 started taking ages and then failed. Windows furthermore tried to install KB981957 and then reported a failure.

I had to reboot and after that, I only see errors in the server manager and I cannot install further updates (there are still 11 available). The roles and features in the server manager both report an error. I'm currently dowloading the System Update Readiness Tool, but should this not be offered in updates available if an error was recognized?

I'll get back to you on this once I test the tool first, the DC works "fine" otherwise..

(Update 1 for this thread; After the test)

After trying repeatedly to install the tool it would seem that I cannot install anything on this computer. Everything just hangs or takes forever.

I also had a look at the logs, no CheckSUR.log exists and there are several errors in Servermanager.log (the are about 10 of these):

4196: 2010-10-15 21:38:22.447 [Provider] C:\Windows\system32\ServerManager\Cache\CbsUpdateState.bin does not exist.
    4196: 2010-10-15 21:38:22.448 [CBS] IsCacheStillGood: False.
    4196: 2010-10-15 21:39:01.746 [CBS] Error (Id=0) Function: 'CreateSessionAndPackage()->Session_OpenPackage' failed: 800706be (-2147023170)
    4196: 2010-10-15 21:39:01.748 [ExceptionHandler] Error (Id=0) An unexpected exception was found:
    System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800706BE): The remote procedure call failed. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BE)
    at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
    at Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.ComponentInstaller.CreateSessionAndPackage(IntPtr& session, IntPtr& package)
    at Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.ComponentInstaller.InitializeUpdateInfo()
    at Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.ComponentInstaller.Initialize()
    at Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.Common.Provider.RefreshDiscovery()
    at Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.LocalResult.PerformDiscovery()
    at Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.ServerManagerModel.CreateLocalResult(RefreshType refreshType)
    at Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.ServerManagerModel.InternalRefreshModelResult(Object state)

Furthermore, the are really odd errors in Windows logs, in the application log:

EventID 1000,

Faulting application name: TrustedInstaller.exe, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bc4b0
    Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16559, time stamp: 0x4ba9b802
    Exception code: 0xc00000fd
    Fault offset: 0x0000000000052880
    Faulting process id: 0x980
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cb6c991458bbb5
    Faulting application path: C:\Windows\servicing\TrustedInstaller.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
    Report Id: 69ea7a40-d88c-11df-845a-90e6ba89b9ea

And when trying to install anything, in the System log EventID 7034:

The Windows Modules Installer service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 11 time(s).

After doing this stuff, I tried PS for getting the server roles and it also resulted in an error:

Get-WindowsFeature : Failed to initialize.
    At line:1 char:19
    + Get-WindowsFeature <<<<
    + CategoryInfo : OperationStopped: (:) [Get-WindowsFeature], COMException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DiscoveryFailed,Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.Commands.GetWindowsFeatureCommand

This doesn't look very promising.. hopefully someone can help me.

Update 2 for this thread: the DC no longer works.. when I go and check on stuff via Administrative tools, it shows that everythings (such as DHCP) is running fine. Domain clients however don't get address leases and cannot access file shares or printers etc..

Friday, October 15, 2010 6:51 PM
  • Hello. I'm having the same issue on 2008 R2. My standalone DC was working fine until two days ago when I started installing the new updates available.

The installation of update KB982132 started taking ages and then failed. Windows furthermore tried to install KB981957 and then reported a failure.

I had to reboot and after that, I only see errors in the server manager and I cannot install further updates (there are still 11 available). The roles and features in the server manager both report an error. I'm currently dowloading the System Update Readiness Tool, but should this not be offered in updates available if an error was recognized?

I'll get back to you on this once I test the tool first, the DC works "fine" otherwise..

(Update 1 for this thread; After the test)

After trying repeatedly to install the tool it would seem that I cannot install anything on this computer. Everything just hangs or takes forever.

I also had a look at the logs, no CheckSUR.log exists and there are several errors in Servermanager.log (the are about 10 of these):

4196: 2010-10-15 21:38:22.447 [Provider] C:\Windows\system32\ServerManager\Cache\CbsUpdateState.bin does not exist.
    4196: 2010-10-15 21:38:22.448 [CBS] IsCacheStillGood: False.
    4196: 2010-10-15 21:39:01.746 [CBS] Error (Id=0) Function: 'CreateSessionAndPackage()->Session_OpenPackage' failed: 800706be (-2147023170)
    4196: 2010-10-15 21:39:01.748 [ExceptionHandler] Error (Id=0) An unexpected exception was found:
    System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800706BE): The remote procedure call failed. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BE)
    at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
    at Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.ComponentInstaller.CreateSessionAndPackage(IntPtr& session, IntPtr& package)
    at Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.ComponentInstaller.InitializeUpdateInfo()
    at Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.ComponentInstaller.Initialize()
    at Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.Common.Provider.RefreshDiscovery()
    at Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.LocalResult.PerformDiscovery()
    at Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.ServerManagerModel.CreateLocalResult(RefreshType refreshType)
    at Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.ServerManagerModel.InternalRefreshModelResult(Object state)

Furthermore, the are really odd errors in Windows logs, in the application log:

EventID 1000,

Faulting application name: TrustedInstaller.exe, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bc4b0
    Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16559, time stamp: 0x4ba9b802
    Exception code: 0xc00000fd
    Fault offset: 0x0000000000052880
    Faulting process id: 0x980
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cb6c991458bbb5
    Faulting application path: C:\Windows\servicing\TrustedInstaller.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
    Report Id: 69ea7a40-d88c-11df-845a-90e6ba89b9ea

And when trying to install anything, in the System log EventID 7034:

The Windows Modules Installer service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 11 time(s).

After doing this stuff, I tried PS for getting the server roles and it also resulted in an error:

Get-WindowsFeature : Failed to initialize.
    At line:1 char:19
    + Get-WindowsFeature <<<<
    + CategoryInfo : OperationStopped: (:) [Get-WindowsFeature], COMException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DiscoveryFailed,Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.Commands.GetWindowsFeatureCommand

This doesn't look very promising.. hopefully someone can help me.

Update 2 for this thread: the DC no longer works.. when I go and check on stuff via Administrative tools, it shows that everythings (such as DHCP) is running fine. Domain clients however don't get address leases and cannot access file shares or printers etc..

I'm geting exactly the same problem... I tried to load updates on the 13th Oct....  Anybody know how to solve?
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 8:16 AM
  • Try this thread:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservermanager/thread/90c5c0b2-3e18-4ac8-88ad-e7e6b9e37b97

I found the solution there.

Thursday, October 28, 2010 10:03 AM
  • Still can't sort this one.... some updates load some don't, what about installing the SP1 ?
    Monday, November 15, 2010 8:45 AM
  • Hi blakebop,

Please run the SUR tool and post the output in the
    c:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log

Please post back if you have trouble running the SUR tool and we can
    look at a couple of possibilities.

-- Mike Burr
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 10:35 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Tried the SUR Tool and it won't run properly, heven't tried for a while but as I remember it simply hangs...

Stop Press......  have just tried it again and its completed !     Says:  Hotfix For Windows (KB947821) Successful.

Will have a look at CheckSUR.log shortly...

Log says: ================================= Checking System Update Readiness. Binary Version 6.1.7600.20751 Package Version 9.0 2010-11-18 08:59 Checking Windows Servicing Packages Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs (f) CBS MUM Corrupt 0x00000000 servicing\Packages\Package_for_KB2360131_RTM~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.3.mum Expected file name Microsoft-Windows-Foundation-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.7600.16385.mum does not match the actual file name Checking Package Watchlist Checking Component Watchlist Checking Packages Checking Component Store Summary: Seconds executed: 359 Found 1 errors CBS MUM Corrupt Total count: 1 Unavailable repair files: servicing\packages\Package_for_KB2360131_RTM~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.3.mum servicing\packages\Package_for_KB2360131_RTM~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.3.cat Looks like I've probs with those Updates?
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 8:43 AM
  • It appears that you will need 2 files from KB2360131, please see my
    tutorial here for extracting this update,

it appears the following 2 files need to be restored to
    %systemroot%\servicing\Packages,

Package_for_KB2360131_RTM~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.3.mum
    Package_for_KB2360131_RTM~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.3.cat

-- Mike Burr
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 10:54 AM
  • Thanks Mike,

Oce expanded, do I then simply copy the files over to packages...  then run the SUR again to check?

Further to above...  all files are expanded and I've located the files..   however the Server says I do not have permission to copy over the files.. even tho I'm logged on as Admin ?   Any ideas?   Thanks.

Another further to above...  I've tried the "taking ownership" route, but to no avail.... the Server firstly says I need to authorise permission and when i OK it it says I don't have permission! ..... presumably to authorise the change???   .....I need a fresh head on this one!

Thursday, November 18, 2010 2:44 PM
  • Yep, you do copy them over. You may need to take ownership of the
    c:\Windows\servicing\Packages directory so that you can assign yourself
    permissions to create files. Once you create the files, you may want to
    reset the perms and ownership back to the original (note these before
    you start, but usually NT Service\TrustedInstaller has full control and
    ownership while everyone else and system has read only access).

-- Mike Burr
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 4:56 PM
  • Hi Mike,

I have taken ownership and changed access to Everyone full control... to no avail.  I've rebooted etc etc.... the permissions say I should be able to do what I wish, but I can't copy the files into the packages folder!   Sometimes I despair! ...

Cheers.

STOP PRESS:    I finally got it all to work and indeed does rectify the problem!   So many thanks for your help!

Regards, blakebop.

• Proposed as answer by coolmilo Friday, January 24, 2014 12:07 AM
    Friday, November 19, 2010 8:26 AM
  • Hi,

same prblem here. Is ther any chance to copy the hole packages folder from a working server or do i have to identify the
    corrupted *.mum files ?

thx,
    Marco

Friday, December 17, 2010 2:55 PM
  • The main recommendation is to identify the specific files needed,
    otherwise it is possible to leave the system in an unserviceable state

-- Mike Burr
    MS Technologies - Development - *nix
    Saturday, December 18, 2010 5:03 AM
  • well it worked out the log looks fine, but when iinstall the new updates it´s just offering to reboot and after reboot it´s reverting it and unisnstalls it because it couldn´t update the files...
    Sunday, December 19, 2010 6:34 PM
  • Hi Pavlisster,

Regards,

Karen Ji

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem as the thread initiator. I tried to install the System Update Readiness Tool but the installation also failes with the error code 0x800700d.

I seems that I can't install any update onto the server. I tried to install the SUR Tool with dism but this failed also.

Do you have any advice how I can proceed here?

Thanks!

Regards,

Alexander Freund

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 12:31 PM
  • System Update Readiness tool seems to have fixed this issue on my server.  Thanks Karen!
    Jonathan Gaskell - MCSA (2003), MCITP: Server Administrator
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 8:49 PM
  • Thanks! I've also resolved this problem with this:

1- downloaded SUR

2- found into the log generated by SUR some corrupted files into \servicing\packages

3- replaced the files with the corrects copies (they were into an update package downloaded individually)

tadaaaa server manager works fine!

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 8:00 PM