none
Veeam Checkpoint Issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks,

We have a cluster with two hosts, which were updated along with our Veeam server to 2019 around 4 weeks ago.

Since then we've had nothing but problems with Veeam and checkpoints; Veeam takes a checkpoint to backup, the checkpoint gets stuck partway through, Veeam fails to take a backup, and other VM features like live migration then fallover. It is tedious because it requires shutting down a host, waiting for the VMs to failover to the other host etc.

A bit of research suggests switching from "Production" to "Standard" checkpoints, which I am going to test. Veeam Support say there shouldn't be any issue though with Production checkpoints and so far are just putting their hands up in the air and blaming Windows.

Anyone else having this issue, and/or got any suggestions?

Thanks

Friday, May 17, 2019 3:32 PM

All replies

• Are you running the version of Veeam that is recommended for 2019?  It really sounds to me that you will need to continue working with Veeam.  Microsoft does not have Veeam's source code to be able to troubleshoot the issue.  Veeam needs to validate their product to see if you have it configured according to their specifications.  It is Veeam's responsibility to ensure their product runs properly on Microsoft products.  If it is not, they have engineering channels available to them to work with Microsoft to resolve any issue they discover with their product.

tim

Saturday, May 18, 2019 1:48 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting in our forum!

Yes I am agree with Tim, I've met many times, and third parties have pushed the problem to Microsoft..  Too many times when I see this, it still turns out to be an issue with the third party software.

Generally speaking, if the build-in backup tool backup VM is wrong, we think it's Microsoft's problem. If the build-in backup tool backup VM is successful, we will think it's a third-part problem.

Now, you can try Microsoft's own backup tools, or as Tim said, you should continue to communicate with Veeam vendors and ask them for further help.

In addition, you can also post a new question in Veeam forum to seek the help from their forum’s experts.

Veeam forum:

https://forums.veeam.com/

Hope this information can help you, if you have any question, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Daniel

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 20, 2019 7:16 AM
  • Are you running the version of Veeam that is recommended for 2019?

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it's the very latest version of Veeam. The servers are also fully patched with the latest Windows Updates. On the face of it the problem does appear to be with Windows, because Veeam uses the checkpoint facility, and that's freezing partway through. I have tested over the weekend, by switching the VMs from Production to Standard checkpoints, and now all appears to be fine.

The difficulty here for the customer i.e. me, is when one provider blames the other. Although in this instance it does appear to be Microsoft that are at fault.

Monday, May 20, 2019 10:08 AM
  • 1. Check if the version of the integration service has been updated to the latest

2. Trying to select production checkpoints without checking VSS in integrated services.

3. Have you deployed SCCMM?

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 6:24 AM
  • 1. These are 2016+ servers, so I'm assuming it should all be integrated.

2. Not tried this, but Veeam Support said that Integration Services should be ticked.

3. We do have an SCCM server.

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 8:28 AM
  • It's not supported for performing production checkpoints to the VM with SCCM deployed. Other user has already submit the similar feedback on the SCCM User Voice site below.

https://configurationmanager.uservoice.com/forums/300492-ideas/suggestions/20482774-support-for-windows-server-2016-hyper-v-production

Best regards,

Daniel

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 8:34 AM
  • Interesting! Although it wasn't just our SCCM server that was failing, it seemed fairly random.
    Tuesday, May 21, 2019 8:36 AM
  • At present, we can only use standard checkpoints.

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 8:42 AM
  • If my reply is helpful, please help me mark it as an answer. thank you in advance!

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 9:02 AM