none
Cannot connect to printer. The local print spooler is not running.

Question

• Hi Guys,

I have a huge problem with my network printers.

I am running MS Server 2008 R2, have 3 HP P2035n printers and one HP CM4730MFP shared on the network. Since this morning, none of my 40 users could print due to all printers being wiped from the client computers and the ability to add the printers again was disabled somehow. The following error is what is being received.

Error: Windows cannot connect to the printer. The local print spooler service is not running. please restart the spooler or restart the machine.

Things that i tried:

• Restarted spooler services on client pc and server
    • restarted server and client pc's and also printers
    • check dependencies in spooler service properties
    • Tried reinstalling several times(printers)
    • Tried several drivers, etc

Please can someone assist me? i have a feeling that somehow the print Spooler Service might be defective due to several warning messages in Event Viewer.

kind regards,

JP

Thursday, December 08, 2011 1:01 PM

Answers

• Try to reinstall the Print server role an redeploy the printers through GPO if you have a AD. If you have network printers ping them by IP, make sure they are static and that no dhcp scope is overlapping on those addresses. Verify the print spooler on the server. Check the file and print sharing in firewall. For testing disable the firewall temporarilly.
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, December 08, 2011 3:39 PM

All replies

• Hi,

On the Print Server try Start > Administrative Tools > Services

Locate spooler and right click on the service and select Start or Restart.

Once that is complete, retry adding your printer to client pc's

Martin

If you find my information useful, please rate it. :-)
    Thursday, December 08, 2011 1:45 PM
  • Try to reinstall the Print server role an redeploy the printers through GPO if you have a AD. If you have network printers ping them by IP, make sure they are static and that no dhcp scope is overlapping on those addresses. Verify the print spooler on the server. Check the file and print sharing in firewall. For testing disable the firewall temporarilly.
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, December 08, 2011 3:39 PM