none
Restore EFI System Partition from a Full Backup RRS feed

• Question

• I have a full server backup of a Windows 2012 R2 system and I would like to restore the EFI System Partition from it.  I can't do a full restore because my system has no USB port or optical drive and Windows Server Backup won't do a full system restore unless you have booted from one of those.  So I am restoring volumes using wbadmin start recoveryWBAdmin get items says that the EFI System Partition is one of the items that is available in the backup, but I haven't discovered the syntax to specify in the -items and the -recoveryTarget options to get that restored.  It doesn't have a volume letter or mount point and the GUID-based volume name (\\?\Volume{...}\) was not found in the backup.  I also tried restoring volumes in the Restore GUI, but the EFI System Partition wasn't a choice there.

Is there some special syntax to specify this, or is it just unavailable?

Thanks,

Rex

Tuesday, February 24, 2015 10:27 PM

All replies

• Hi Rex,

If no drive letter is the only problem you can assign one to it before restoring. Use Diskpart should help you assign drive letter.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 27, 2015 11:01 AM
  • I tried assigning a drive letter to the EFI System Partition before doing the backup, but in that state the full server backup always fails:

EFI System Partition: The specified backup disk cannot be found

System state: There was a failure in preparing the backup image of one of the volumes in the backup set.  Detailed error: The specified backup disk cannot be found.

Bare metal recovery: The specified backup disk cannot be found.

Simply removing the drive letter assignment on the EFI System Partition allows the backup to complete successfully, but then I'm left with the original problem: I don't know what to specify for the -items argument to ask wbadmin to restore the EFI System Partition.  If I can find out how to do that, I'll experiment with assigning a drive letter at restore time and specifying that letter in -recoveryTarget.

Friday, March 6, 2015 5:21 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

So the solution is to find the volume GUID.

Please run mountvol in CMD without any parameter.

It will provide "help" and all volume GUID in your current system. The EFI partition should be marked as "**NO MOUNT POINTS**"

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 9, 2015 5:30 AM
  • Unfortunately, mountvol doesn't report the volume GUID for the EFI System Partition.  It just says, "EFI System Partition."  I did manage to trick it into displaying the volume GUID by temporarily changing the partition type ('set id' in diskpart) to a normal data partition and mounting it.  (Then I changed it back.)  Then I specified that GUID in a GUID-based volume name (\\?\Volume{...}\) for the -Items parameter, but wbadmin said that it was not found in the backup.
    Monday, March 9, 2015 4:44 PM